Missing features & functionalities

#62 Information during buying creatures that garrison is full.

There is only info in console: “System message: Server encountered a problem: Cannot recruit: no available slot!” but should appear screen with massage: “There is no room in the garrison for this army”.

NEW Features Request:

#63 **Resources requirements **- r-click on building shows if all prerequisites for this building have been met, if not there is written requires for buildings. It would be nice if there were also requires for resources which are necessary to build all required buildings. And also if all required buildings are built but you still can not build chosen structure because of lack of resources there could be info about requires for resources to be collected, i.e. - to build capitol- requires: fort, citadel, castel; cost: 12500 Gold, +30 Wood, +35 Ore.
#64 **Removing screens which are not necessary **– all screens in which player doesn’t have to confirm anything could be removed. The info could be shown only in Status window ie: campfire, seachest, flotsam, all guarded buildings in which you get only resources, flagging mines, fountain of fortune, shrine of magic, mystical garden, collecting artifacts, shipwreck survivor and so on.
#65 Moving Adventure Map using middle button – if you hold mouse’s middle button and move the mouse you can move adventure map like it is anchored to the cursor.
#66 Possibility to change the TOWN if you are inside other town structure i.e. in FORT, HALL, Mage Guild without necessity to go out from this structure i.e. by using UP/DOWN ARROW. And then if you go out from this structure/town this town is selected on the Adventure Map. It could be helpful when you have a lot of towns and you want find out fast in which town there is mage guild with special spell
#67 New skill screen - If hero gains a lvl, new skill should appear on the right side and then by default could be chosen left skill so mostly it would be chosen the existing skill.
#68 **Hero and Town List Reordering **(i.e. like it is in WoG: Shift-click on a hero or town in the hero or town list to move that hero or town to the top of the list)
#69 Buy All Creatures button (click on the castle icon in your town screen, creatures are bought starting from the highest level)
#70 Saving the resolution which is set in cmd console to setting.txt file for future game run without necessity to edit it.

[size=75]I’ve reordered your items to separate the missing feature from the new features requests (which I marked accordingly). For future reference, please mark the requests for features which did not exist in H3 is such a way that the devs can easily separate them from the features in the original game which are still missing (e.g.: by adding “NEW” in front of them). Thanks.

Zamolxis[/size]

** - **arrow keys to move heroes on adventure map. ** - **[]*Same as [b]#18*

NEW - nice feature from H5 - exchange between two heroes in town (garrisoned and visitor) - open exchange window instead of hero info.

In H3 you need:
1)move visitor out of town 2)move garrisoned hero down 3)exchange 2) 1)
…just to switch 1-2 artifacts

[, but thanks for pointing it out as a confirmation it’s really needed] ;)*Same as [b]#5*

56 - in H3 all artifacts are remaining after retreat. Zamolxis just mistaking? * - You are right. I corrected my post above. (Zamolxis)*

**63 **- IMO only as option. This is one of nice features from Heroes 1-4 small “stories” instead of H5-style messages “You’ve learned new skill”. With exception of system messages(like “No empty slots”, “No spellbook”)
IMO - most new games become boring. More ugly (mostly) graphics and less nice texts.

68 - Maybe use drag-and-drop for reordering (like creatures in army) will be more useful?

Probably this one is same as point no #5

New game you are right. But VCMI isn’t new game and IMO should be concentrated to have as good playability as possible.

Of course this solution will be perfect.

@68
i prefer h3 mechanism in reordering, maybe dragging is funny, but it’s less handy and less mice friendly

I think you should read point #68 one more time. In H3 there is not possible reordering Heroes or Towns. We are not talking about drag and drop creatures like it is in H5. You are right that this kind of reordering is not very friendly but you can used to.

#71 If you have **flagged shipyard it should be possible to buy a boat with l-click **without hero inside.
[IMPLEMENTED]

Regarding #68

@majaczek: Do you mean the WoG mechanism of reordering? Because H3 didn’t really have one. They had a default “logic” of ordering them, but besides garrisoning, there was not much you could do to change a certain existing order. EDIT: I see Boulie replied more or less the same while I was writing this. :wink:

@Ivan: Drag & drop would be a fancy solution indeed. But unless that’s really easy to implement, I guess that CTRL+Arrow will do for starters.

Regarding #64 : Removing all screens in which the player isn’t given any option might speed up the game, but not everybody is playing against the clock. Personally they don’t bother me, as long as I can easily close the with both Enter & Esc. However disabling such pop-us could be implemented as an option from the future VCMI menu. :slight_smile:

And I hope you don’t mind I edited a bit your posts above:

@Boulie: please point out when you’re requesting a NEW feature, it’ll help the devs prioritize.

@Ivan: I removed the log numbers as those two were already requested, but I’ll take your post as a support of my initial requests to have those two features implemented, so thanks. :slight_smile: [size=75]*winks at devs to take the hint ;)*[/size]

Regarding #71 : Hmm… that’s a fine line between “missing feature” & “bug”, because Shipyard has been implemented, so if you can’t access it without visiting it, in a way we can say it wasn’t implemented well yet. But well, that was just a thought… as long as it’s reported somewhere it’s ok - the devs will see it. :wink:

**EDIT: Here is the full functionality of the Adventure map Shipyard (3 tile object):

a) If a selected hero has a direct path to the Shipyard:

• Hovering over Shipyard’s middle tile changes the mouse pointer to the (jumping) horse. 1st click sets the path, 2nd click moves hero there. When hero arrives, the Buy Ship window opens.
  • Hovering over Shipyard’s left or right tile changes the mouse pointer to a boat. If we own the Shipyard, l-click with open the Buy Ship window.

b) If no hero is selected, or the selected hero has no direct path to the Shipyard

• Hovering over any of the 3 tiles of the Shipyard changes the cursor to a boat. If we own the Shipyard, l-click with open the Buy Ship window.**

OK! But I think it should be changed a little bit :wink: I mean we should also separate the WoG features ie point #68 and #69.
Also point #67, part of it is from H3 (new skill should be on the right side of the screen) and rest is new feature.
Sometimes it is hard to remember everything what is H3, WoG, H5 or other game :wink:
But I will try to do that.

#67, #68, #69 are fine in this thread because they are not altering the gameplay, meaning that they would not influence the final game outcome, score, etc.

#67 Would save us 1 click and (perhaps) place the skills in more intuitive spots.

#68 & #69 Are WoG features which are only speeding the gameplay, making things easier for the player, but in fact are not altering anything. Buying the creatures one by one or all together, or reordering your towns, will not make your hero stronger or anything. :slight_smile:

So WoG features can be mentioned in this thread, but only if they don’t alter any stats and if you mark them as “NEW”. Any idea meant to remove an annoyingly high amount of clicks (like buying 7 creatures separately or exchanging artifacts in town), but which leads pretty much to the same result as in H3, is of course welcome. Or take for example the H5 stack queue in battle. Does it make your creatures do more damage? No. It just saves us some right clicks to double check the speeds of some creatures. That’s also a type of feature from other (Heroes) games that can be requested here, because it enhances the game experience, without actually altering the outcome.

What we should not have in this thread, are really modding requests (WoG or not), which would notably change the feel or behavior of the original game (e.g.: new design for a certain creature, double hero movement, creatures have breath weapon, enhanced secondary skills, commanders, H4 advanced hero classes etc)

New Feature Request:
#72 Upgrade All button to upgrade all creatures (both in garrison and visiting hero) that can be currently upgraded in the town. This is similar to Buy All and there’s a WoG script that does it by shift-clicking the button (although I think this script may not have been distributed publicly).

Re: #69 (Buy All Button) - There was also an addition to WoG’s Buy All that lets you choose the order that they’re bought in (I think ctrl-clicking the button brings up some dialogs to select the order). Again, this probably wasn’t in the public WoG distribution.

Is there any list of artifacts that have and haven’t been implemented similar to the one for adventure map objects? It would be helpful.

Yes, on the same page.

If you are referring to the Google docs link (ITEM IMPLEMENTATION STATUS in my signature), then check the other tabs at the bottom. :wink:

And let’s hope in one of the future versions of Google docs, they’ll enhance those bottom tabs to allow users to emphasize them somehow, because I also didn’t notice them the first time (if you’re not used with the application, they’re not at all obvious).

[size=75]@Warmonger: a tiny piece of advice (and I hope you don’t mind) - when you answer in “riddles”, add a smiley. :slight_smile: Sometimes same words can be taken as friendly or rude by different people. Here was okay as we know each other a bit, but in the “offical VCMI thread” at Celestial Heavens (a similar issue with a link) they kinda interpreted it as sth else. And in such cases a smiley often helps… :wink: [/size]

Ah yes, exactly what I was looking for. Spells, too.

Implemented.
(now only usual battle and taking over but work on sieges should soon be started).

Implemented.

Implemented.

Implemented.

Implemented.

73. How about centering window after launch? This 1280 x 960 pops up beyond edge of the screen.

[Fixed …if I understand correctly the report > at least I don’t see popups beyond the edge anymore]

^ I almost thought of reporting that in a bug thread, as it’s valid for all high resolutions: the client opens in different areas of the screen, sometimes though too low, so that parts of the interface are not visible until we manually move the screen. Though this is really not a priority, so it can stay in this thread as well. :wink:

74. (NEW) Links to and support for all H3 campaigns within 1 interface.

With the Main Menu being reworked now (and perhaps adjusted to higher resolutions in the future), it should be possible to have more campaign links on one screen. In H3Complete we had SoD, RoE & AB on one screen. But with Custom & Exit the screen was full. WoG had to replace SoD to get its link on that page.

It would be nice if the reworked H3 Main Menu would allow access to all H3 Campaigns installed in our H3 directory: For x600 resolutions, we could have the RoE, AB, SoD links, but perhaps the Custom link could be replaced by “More”, which would take us to a new screen with selection between: Heroes Chronicles, WoG, (HotA - if the case) and Custom. For higher resolutions, some of the links could be integrated in the first Campaign screen already. An alternative would be to have the menu links scrollable somehow, or else reduce the size of the icons (though, with the new high resolutions, reduced icons might become too small).

Perhaps the most difficult would be to integrate the Chronicles links, but in the end it would be nice if we’d have access to all campaigns ever created for H3, withing the same interface. :wink:

75. (NEW) Support for all H3 menu backgrounds.

It would be great if VCMI could support all those menu backgrounds. And perhaps somewhere in the VCMI options we should be able to select things like “Play with Armageddon Blade theme”, or “Use H3 background themes at random”.

For reference, here’s a link with all the screens - h3.heroes.net.pl/pliki.htm - though probably you know the site already. :wink:

76. When we go with the mouse cursor to the edge of the client interface, the map scrolls, but also the mouse pointer should change from the default arrow, to an arrow pointing in the direction of the scroll.
E.g.: default arrow http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/Zamolxis/VCMI%202009/2009-09-05_DefaultArrow.jpg vs scroll left http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/Zamolxis/VCMI%202009/2009-09-05_ScrollArrow.jpg vs diagonal scroll http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/Zamolxis/VCMI%202009/2009-09-05_DiagonalScroll.jpg

77. (NEW) Enhanced map scrolling speed.

Now we have only 1 speed for map scrolling, when our mouse pointer is anywhere within 5mm (I think) from any map edge. The speed is pretty reasonable in general, however it’s a tiny bit annoying when you want scroll just a little bit for an exact focus. It always goes too far and I have to go back & forth a few times to get that focus.
:exclamation: Perhaps we could have 2 scrolling speeds: a slow scroll if the mouse pointer is (3-)4-5 mm from the edge, and the normal scroll only when the mouse pointer is within (2-)3 mm from the edge.

Implemented by Tow Dragon.

Implemented.

Implemented :slight_smile:

Implemented.

78. (NEW) Enhanced message for resource piles found on the map, depending on their size.

[size=92]This is just a minor suggestion and open for debate, as I’m not sure if it’s worth the coding effort, but I thought of mentioning it nevertheless.

When we pick up a resource pile, we have the same message, regardless of the size of the pile:[/size]

Now, that’s definitely not a “small” quantity. Shouldn’t we have the size attribute change to “big” or “large” above a certain value (i.e.: 5,000 for gold and 50 for the other resources)? IMO small quantities are only those within the range of the randomly generated values, or maybe a bit more, but just up to some limit.