Cathedral and 3 towns released!

Okay, I Found it!

VCMI_Client_log.txt (478.1 KB)VCMI_Launcher_log.txt (4.1 KB)
VCMI_Server_log.txt (785.3 KB)

Could you upload here all log.txt files?

Ok, I think I know the problem. Links from first post are broken somehow. Use new, fixed mod links from here:

thank you, so far it works and I’ve had no problems:+1::+1::+1: apart from the game crashing when I buy troops via the Castle, but if I’m not mistaken I think I’ve seen someone talk about it being the unstable version of vcmi

Yes, crash fort bug is known (it is not vcmi bug, only online compilers). But you can use two alternative ways of buying units. You can click Fort icon like in hd mod to get access to quick recruiments window, or click at the small creatures icons at the left-botton part of townscreen!

Okay, once again thanks a lot. Now I can enjoy these amazing looking towns and creatures, I remember trying out Bastille and Asylum a long time ago when the creatures looked very plain; however now they look really professional so also props to @By003 :hugs::muscle::ok_hand::ok_hand::ok_hand:

Did you read that @By003? It’s about time to reveal some spoilers from your Fairy Town :]

1 Like

In Bastille town, Resource Silo gives +1 sulfur, not +1 crystal as stated in description.

Amazing work By003! I love your towns, I think they are underatted by the community, but there are people playing your mods (at least me) and enoying it.
It seems you don’t have time for working, but I will be happy, if you come back at some day. :slight_smile:
Some update for units 5, 6 i 7 lvl in Preserve would be very appreacatied, because those grafics don’t stick pretty well to Heros III. Also, you made appetaite for new Fairy town.

Whatever you are doing in your life, I wish you everything the best! :slight_smile:

I know long time ago you typed that, but do you still have these def files or models ?

Cathedral is my favourite modded town and it fkts very well in HOMM3. I actually hope HotA crew will implement this idea and do evil-like fanatic human town, maybe even colaborate with you! That would be epic. Thanks for your work, the town is awesome, just the level 7 unit needs some animation polish and it is divine. :slight_smile:

I hope so. However, the models are not completed and hota seems to abandon this town for a long time, as well as Kronverk.

hello!
great work but ask for the fallowing:
can anyone replace the commander for highlander with MM8 dark dwarf, the fafnir with HoMM4 black dragon?
also, for catherdral, can put MM7 priest of light as commander?
all defs are long in the internet… and i wish i knew how but i cannot do myself :frowning:

1. Inside mod folder, find the .DEF files to replace at “content/sprites/creatures”.

If you don’t have DefPreview to open these files, then open the .json files inside “content/config/creatures” and check name of creature to find it. In the same file, go to graphics to find the name of the .DEF to replace.

1. Download the .DEF file you want and rename it the same
  2. Just copy/paste to replace, boom !

This should be an easy way for what you’d like.

inside the mod folder of VCMI folder? because i do not havea content folder :axe:
can i force… i mean convince you to do it for me, whilst i link the nessercily defs?

You need to keep in mind that modding takes time so having people doing that kind of stuff for you is rather unlikely.

Instead, community will have more benefit from people doing that kind of stuff for themselves, and hypothetically becoming a modder as well in the future. At least, that’s my personal point of view.

That said, go inside %username%\Documents\My Games\vcmi\Mods , which is the folder that contains the mods you’ve downloaded.

Then find the folder containing the mod you’ve downloaded in which you want to edit the sprites. For example, if you want to change sprites from Cathedral town, go inside %username%\Documents\My Games\vcmi\Mods\cathedral-town folder. This is what I’m calling the “mod folder”.

Now, you can refers to the previous instructions.

thank you, i have mannaged to make some of the correct changes. :slight_smile: is there a way to “publish it” or is it needless?

Unless you have the authorization from the original mod’s author, you need to create a mod that patch the original mod you’re modifying, this isn’t as easy as copy/paste though.

How to make such patch :

1. Create a new folder for your mod (same location as other VCMI mods).

2. Creates a “mod.JSON” file containing your mod info (you can check other mod’s mod.json files to understand how it works). Make sure you create dependencies to the mod you are modifying.

3. Create a “content” folder inside your mod folder, then paste your .def files inside.

4. Still inside this “content” folder, create a .json that you will name how you want. Make sure your mod.json file call this file in the creatures section.

5. Just call the reference of the units you’re changing the sprites and write only the lines of stuff you’re changing so it applies to the original mod.

Kinda hard to explain, but you might consider downloading my mod refugee town and see how I did change to wog creatures on my wog sub-mod.

Also, you might wanna read : Mod file Format - VCMI Project Wiki & [New Town Mod] Refugee - #107 by Yuya

If you don’t want to do that, then you can still publish your mod on the forum for download, but it probably won’t be made available on VCMI Launcher (as VCMI launcher’s mods needs to be functional without users having to do anything + cannot update your change to original mod without author’s authorization).

i want to thank you for your explantion first and foremost.
second, i would like to note that i did play that mod, and i did not understand why simply recolor so many monsters when you have so many new ones to add? i would gladly give me ideas if your willing to hear on discord?

1 Like

Your welcome, I’m glad I provided useful information.
Kinda unrelated to the current thread, but since you ask here’s my reply :

My town’s project is my first mod and is basically a project to learn VCMI modding. I thought using already-existing creatures was a way to make things simpler. In fact, it made things more complicated.

While it’s true I could’ve added new creatures, I didn’t because that would be throwing the whole concept of gathering neutral units around a new faction. Which is something I refuse to do.

When it comes to recolored units, this is because I don’t have any 3D skills that would allow me to make such sprites. And, I personally won’t play any mods that contains any unfitting sprites as I’d rather go with recolored sprites instead.

@By003 for example make good sprites and that’s why I really like his towns.

However, I’m creating my own dragon sprite for the first time for an alternative level 7. But working with 2D makes it looks weird for animation such as “turn right/left” or “attack up / down”. That said, I’ll probably give up doing such things if I cannot manage to get any good results.

I’m always willing to hear feedbacks to improve my mod. In fact, I’m taking notes each times I read a comment. I do not use Discord, but you can send me private message right here on VCMI Forum.