[New Town Mod] Refugee

Edited Sharpshooter Veteran visuals and added new Rogue & Nomad upgrades. I will release the next update real soon with the full changelog (as usual). But before I have a last question: Should I switch tier between golems and sorceress/enchanter? I feel like it would make more sense and it would reduce the statistics gap between refugee’s units and their neutral counterparts. Since you will be able to convert neutral into refugee’s faction, it would be “weird” to recruit neutral and then halving their stats. Am I right?

There were some era mods with neutral towns, all of them were OP beceuse authors left original statistics. I don’t know what to do, to do it good…

Yeah it needs a good balance between stats and growth, stats shouldn’t be too different to original counterparts while should be nerfed a little at least to avoid the “OP” feeling. Individually most original stats aren’t too far from other same-tier creature while globally it gets unbalanced.

I switched the tier and now I will be doing some testing to balance Tier 4 (Golems) and Tier 5 (Sorceress/Enchanter). If feels better this way. I might change Commander’s spell as well, don’t know if I just put the “resurrection” as “until end of battle” state or if I replace it with a different spell.

so it’s technically resurrection at basic level :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s still in expert level right now and I don’t like it. Basic resurrection sounds good but I might change it later.

Refugee Town - New Update (v0.4)

Download link: Google Drive, Heroes3Nexus

Pictures:

Changelog:

1. Heroes
  • Given all heroes the ability to convert true neutral creatures into Refugee’s faction (ex: Gold Golem can be upgraded into Refugee’s Gold Golem). It Shouldn’t cost anything to convert creatures.
  • Rebalanced every Heroes starting army to make them stronger.
  • Added Heroes descriptions.

• Replaced Heroes Battle & Map visuals with new original ones.
  • Changed Keyvan’s specialty and added “Šigû” as starting spell (in addition to the new version of “Namburbi”).
  • Replaced Kiana’s Ballista specialty with “Resistance” and changed her starting skills.
  • Replaced Shayan’s specialty with a new one, changed his starting skills and added surrender discount bonus per level.
  1. Units
  • Replaced creature ‘Peasant’ (ex-LVL1) with ‘Rogues’ (ex-LVL1U) and ‘Rogues’ with new creature ‘Spy’ (new LVL1U). Reduced power multiplier of Rogue’s spying ability from 3 to 2. Spies spying ability PM is set to 3. Replaced creature ‘Boar’ (ex-LVL2) with new creature ‘Vagabond’ (new LVL2).
  • Switched tiers between Tier 4 (ex-Sorceress/ex-Enchanter) with Tier 5 (ex-Gold & Diamond Golems).
  • Updated adventure map amounts of every units based on HoTA’s map editor values.

• Rebalanced units statistics (Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 4 and Tier 5) to make them more coherent with their vanilla counterparts. Units are stronger but their growths are under-average.
  • Edited visuals & sounds of both tier 7 units and visuals of ‘Veteran Sharpshooter’ (LvL3 Upg.).
  • Updated creatures adventure map visuals, portraits & icons.

• Hell Steed nows has the ability to cast “Fire Wall” with 12% chance as in WoG (doesn’t work).
  • Added new neutral creature ‘Shapeshifter’.
  • Fixed sorceress missing “shot” sounds.
  • New neutral creature “Shapeshifter”.
  1. Town
  • Created Puzzle map visuals for the faction.
  • Created Siege visuals for the faction and replaced “Sorceresses” towers garrison by “Roving Enchanters” (Refugee’s Commander).
  • Optimized files (Buildings Areas & Borders). Edited Dwelling5 (ex-Dwelling4) borders & areas.
  • Added an alternate music for the town. To use it, go to “/Mods/RefugeeTown/Content/music/” and copy the music from the folder “RefugeeTownAlternateMusic” and paste it in the “/music/” folder to replace the actual theme.
  1. Spells
  • Old spell “Gottesbriefe” is renamed “Šigû”.
  • Old spell “Namburbi” (summon golems) is renamed “Emet”.
  • New offensive spell against all-type of golems called “Met”.
  • New spell “Namburbi” increase morale & luck of targeted/all ally’s troop(s).

Mini Bugs

Please, upload your mod at the site that doesn’t require create login.

@misiokles Didn’t knew Nexus asks for login to download, it sucks. Sorry for that. I’m adding Google Drive link right now in the previous post and here’s the same link:

Download

@planetavril1 Yeah I knew about this error but it shouldn’t cause any issues. I looked over all the JSON and can’t find where the “spell.rfgMeth” is written. If you find it, let me know.

Hero Areman has spell rfgMeth in spellbook insted of rfgMet.

1 Like

Town develop stopped and there will not be dwellings and castle for map, right?

Yes, project is in hiatus again. I am currently working on a new project which is basically a whole new game inspired by Heroes 3. I started coding the 02 Dec 2020 with Unreal Engine 4 (Blueprint coding since I never learnt how to code) and I made a lot of progress, VCMI-modding is what made me want to give it a try. As of today I have a working combat system that still needs polishing but it’s working.

If you wants to continue my mod, there’s a “To do list” section in one of the TXT that could be helpful since it contains everything I thought this mod needed to be completed. But if you just wanted to know if there would never be a new update, then I wouldn’t say “yes” cause even if I started a new project, it doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t want to update this mod someday.

please send the def file of that 1 boar.

Hello everyone, I am officially back working on VCMI mods. I’ve started working on a new version for few days after seeing the v0.7 that someone has made on YouTube suggestions.

At first I planned to make a little v0.7.1 update but I finally decided to make a big update. I’ve been fixing issues, made balance change (again) as well as reworking the roster a little bit, and I am currently revamping the townscreen.

Prior to the release of version 0.8, I’d like to heard from everyone who is interested in the mod, to have your feedback about this town so far :

• Can you tell me what you liked or not ?
  • Do you have any suggestions, ideas, wishes ?

This will help me to make the mod more enjoyable and fun, and will allows me to know what I need to change and what should stay still.

Thanks.

1 Like

First, make your mod independed from WoG. Of course, this needs to change line-up, but the less depended mods, the better.

1 Like

It seems it didn’t really needed dependencies in the first place as there was only one file using wog references which is the one that gave refugee’s heroes the ability to convert neutral sorceresses, nightmares and hell steeds to refugee’s faction.

I’ve just made this file optional as a submod and launched the game without WoG and it seems there’s no issues so far.

Do you have any more suggestions ?

Not yet! Waiting patiently for 0.8 version!

1 Like

One more thing - there were reports at polish forum, that there are problems with Shapeshifters. I know it’s beta, but… summoning shapeshifter spell costs only… 2 mana.
And one guy reported about abmornal shapeshifters quantiny after the battles (player and AI).
Overall - shapeshifter unit is interesting idea and we hope you’ll finish it :slight_smile:

Yeah, there was a mistake during the release of previous version of the mod. This spell was called “Debug” as it was only implemented for test purposes and wasn’t mean to be enabled.

The spell allowed the player to summon Shapeshifters and I was using it to test the creature. I disabled it to fix the issue for the next release.

I tested the mod few days ago and man I was really surprised when my town got attacked by 8 shapeshifters and seeing the computer summon even more haha.

I’m glad you liked the unit. I plan on making other variants of the shapeshifters and I will make it a submod so people can enable or not these units.

Temporary fix : On mod.json, edit the line in the spell section so it’s like this :

// “config/refugee/spells/rfgDebug.json”,

Basically adding “//” at the start of the line will disable the spell. Same can be done to disable shapeshifters, new spells or even WoG dependency.

From my suggestions, it seems logic for me, to work on town graphics on the map, and make dwellings, because it’s still looking like Cathedral.
The town screen is just temporary, I deem. It’s far away from vanilla towns, in terms of appearance.
I would focus on balancing the troops and heroes at the end.

1 Like