New stack experience interface

yes, I was referring to what can be done in WoG within !!EA receiver and it is actually called experience stack and special abilities. So far, the ones Warmonger lists can not be done in WoG. Now, if you recode them differently and they work, great job, but will be a new game, as we never played yet.

Well, we’re not simply recreating WoG in higher resolution. The purpose of project is to make it better, more flexible and free of bugs.

Stop thinkig about what can be done now , ask what you want to be done!

For now we use CREXPBON.txt file as reference, so it will behave same as WoG.

As far as I know, 'Healer" ability refers to First Aid Tent. However every possible creature skill will be stored in Bonus System. Many abilities are not supported though.

Also, here’s pretty random screenshot showing some progress. Don’t care much about what is reads :wink:

vcmi.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/ … threv=1959

if (enable) //0 and 2 means non-active, 1 - active
933 	  	         {
934 	  	                 b.val = 0; //on-off ability, no value specified
935 	  	                 loadToIt (curVal, src, it, 4); // 0 level is never active
936 	  	                 for (int i = 1; i < 11; ++i)
937 	  	                 {

code makes strong assertment that not expified unit has no stack experience bonuses, which is not true in some existing WoG mods (they find it is easier to add Rank 0 ability in replaced creature, than modify some creature internals)

of course we are going rather to add new things rather then replace, but it would be good to keep compability with those mods by just not make too strong assertment

It’s just parser. It’s based on the content of CREXPMOD.txt file from WoG and will not be used in future scripts or mods, neither to handle ERM.

However if you find a case which I missed, let me know :wink: This fle has 921 lines.

The only thing I miss in WoG is the lack of types/subtypes for the new added objects, thus impossible to manipulate them. (mass remove, change cursor when on subtype, place on map, loop through, etc)
Because of this I have constantly to replace objects with others ie my nice house is in fact a learning stone disabled yada yada…

And of course the lack of enough z vars. 1000 is nothing when you deal with 500 new objects on a map, 120 new creatures to rename + 170 new artefacts. I always need to modify text files to save z vars.

Any idea where could I find info about neutrals getting experience over time? It it related to some config files?

Script 57:

** The Neutral Units option adds a bonus of +1 Attack and +1 Defense for every
** 4 game days (plus an additional base bonus of +1 Attack and +1 Defense) to
** neutral creatures. It also adds approximately +6-6.99% Health every four days
** (+10.5-12.25% per week), gives Bless to all living neutral creatures, and
** Expert Precision to all neutral Archers to make the game more competitive.
** Also units from Dragon Utopia, Creature Banks, Creature Generators, Crypt,
** Fishing Well, Garrisons, Death Chamber and Adventure Cave receive these bonuses.
** Bonuses are also given to creatures defending neutral towns.
** If the Neutral Stack Size option is enabled, all neutral monster stacks on the
** adventure map will be adjusted so that they contain more creatures. Starting with
** more creatures will also effectively result in them growing faster, although the
** actual weekly rate of growth remains unchanged.

** If the Neutral Stack Experience option is selected, neutral units will be experienced,
** depending on their level, the game date, and the player difficulty level chosen.
** Creatures will have 1 rank for every x days (but see notes), as follows:

** Game Difficulty: Easy Normal Hard Expert Impossible
** Level 1 & 2: 14 7 5 4 3
** Level 3 & 4: 28 14 10 8 6
** Level 5 & 6: 42 21 15 12 9
** Level 7: 56 28 20 16 12

** Note 1: One is subtracted from the game day before calculating so that creatures
** will gain a rank at the start of each week on Normal difficulty.
** Note 2: The rank of neutral stacks will never be more than the attacking hero’s
** level plus the game difficulty level (0…4), so a level 1 hero would never
** face higher than a rank 2 stack at Normal difficulty, or a rank 5 stack
** at Impossible difficulty.

** If the Neutral Town and Creature Bank Growth option is enabled, the guards
** will grow by 10% each week per stack (minimum +1), neutral towns will gain
** new creatures. There’s also a 10% chance per stack that a stack will be upgraded.
** Creature Banks will also have their resources grow at a rate of 10% or +1
** every 3 weeks if 10% would be less than 1. In addition, creature banks “regenerate”
** at the start of each month.

Hmm, so they just get rank excplicitely? Than’s something engine doesn’t support yet and looks quite complicated anyway. I think that giving 125 exp * (difficulty + 1) every day will have similiar result.

If neutral units get experience via script, we shouldn’t hardcode this feature…

we could… also we can make it optionally :slight_smile:

Maybe what Tow Dragon wants to say is that we should only hardcode things from the original game. Same as the WoG scripts were open for modders to alter, so should VCMI remain somewhat flexible in that respect.

Of course we can. We can also add possibility to send game saves via email. But in both cases it’s just unnecessary work that won’t satisfy anyone.

Yes, you’re right. Hardcoding WoG scripts will make VCMI more complicated and harder to modify and maintain (more code = more problems).

I just wanted to temporarily set up something that resembles typical game with Stack Experience, especially for 0.84 release. There is no point to show feature which hardly works.

So, hmm, I’m going to make this window. Finally need to produce some interface on my own :wink:

Don’t know whether it will be useful or not: GIMP file I used for moving stuff around and indexed version (for player coloring).
dl.dropbox.com/u/22372764/share/ … eWindow.7z

Well, I figured out that using premade bitmaps is the way most screens were created.

The question is: how to convert pcx to 8-bit so it can be colorized and generally working ingame?

Well… even MS Paint can save as 8bpp bmp (with palette). Then you just need to rearrange colors… I don’t know if there is an automatic tool for that.

Don’t know any way to convert to H3 palette. The only easy way to get correct image I know is to find in H3 resources some image with more-or-less matching 8-bit palette and copy-paste your 24-bit image into it. This may result in some minor artifacts however your image definitely will work in-game.

Thanks, it worked :slight_smile:

So here’s how it looks in game so far:

I think it’s pretty cool, but there are still some issues.

As you notice, skill windows of this size are tiny even for small font and basic description. I could try to go for something like

But it may be difficult to set apriopriate text for every bonus type. For example “Death blow 20%” or “death stare 30%” may make sense, but what with spell immunity or summon skills? Makes me confused and still takes some work to provide all these texts, so better think it though now.

Download new graphics, they are needed for revision 2019. Extract it to data folder.

And here’s new sample:

Still, descriptions needed to be truncated to fit thw window (up to 30 characters). Tow proposed getting rid of skill icons completely.
CreatureWindowGraphics.rar (259 KB)