we’re happy to announce release of VCMI 0.89, the final build from 0.8x series. This feature brings many bigger and smaller features like (still partial) support for commanders, stack artifacts and almost all missing battle spells. Main menu finally works with high resolutions and many minor improvements to the GUI have been implemented. It’s now possible to load or restart game directly from adventure map. Battle interface allows switching active creatures in tactics phase by clicking on them and displays movement range of hovered creatures.
We have done a number of bugfixes - about 60 issues have been resolved. Please check the changelog below and bugtracker for the list of resolved bugreports.
Check items implementation status for the full information about which map objects, town structures, skills, spells, artifacts, creature abilities and victory conditions are supported.
- Windows package (Win32, 5.8MB, ZIP Archive)
- New graphics pack for main menu (3.2MB, ZIP Archive). They look great, especially with higher resolutions. To use, just extract the package into VCMI folder. The graphics have been contributed by Dru.
Please visit this wiki page for installation instructions for Linux.
- Data package (targz, 2.2 MB)
- Ubuntu 12.04 — 32 bit or 64 bit (Deb, 6.1MB)
- Ubuntu 11.10 — 32 bit or 64 bit (Deb, 6.1MB)
- Debian Sid — 32 bit or 64 bit (Deb, 6.8 MB)
- Debian Wheezy — 32 bit or 64 bit (Deb, 6.8 MB)
- Fedora 16 — 32 bit or 64 bit (RPM, 4.8 MB)
Extract the package into your main Heroes folder. If you have older version of VCMI, you have to overwrite it.
WoG 3.58f is required. We recommend using English version, though VCMI should also work with other language versions. If you want to make your H3 installation English, extract this package into Data/ subfolder.
Save format has been changed, savegames from previous versions won’t work with 0.89.
VCMI supports 800x600, 1024x600, 1024x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1366x768, 1680x1080 and 1920x1080 screen resolutions. To switch default resolution in system settings window click “HIGH” button and select resolution (available only in game). As for now custom resolution is only applied when the map is started. Since this build main menu correctly handles high resolutions.
Since VCMI 0.85 a new creature card is used. If you don’t like it, the old one is still here. In the System Options window you can select which creature window you’d like to use (the “Classic creature window” check-box).
Many thanks for all testers and developers who contributed to this build. Special thanks to Dru, Fishkebab, Topas who contributed graphics for this release.
For the general information about our project look here. Our project isn’t really playable now, but it gives you an idea of progress we have made so far. We’re hoping that you’ll like it.
We hope you’ll help us develop the project - details are available here. VCMI is an open source project licensed on GNU GPL 2.0 or higher. Our SVN repository with all the sources is available here.
You can look for help in building and developing VCMI sources in the development board.
0.88 -> 0.89 (Jun 01 2012)
- Mostly implemented Commanders feature (missing level-up dialog)
- Support for stack artifacts
- New creature window graphics contributed by fishkebab
- Config file may have multiple upgrades for creatures
- CTRL+T will open marketplace window
- G will open thieves guild window if player owns at least one town with tavern
- Implemented restart functionality. CTRL+R will trigger a quick restart
- Save game screen and returning to main menu will work if game was started with --start option
- Simple mechanism for detecting game desynchronization after init
- 1280x800 resolution graphics, contributed by Topas
- Fixed monsters regenerating casualties from battle at the start of new week.
- T in adventure map will switch to next town
- It’s possible to switch active creature during tacts phase by clicking on stack
- After battle artifacts of the defeated hero (and his army) will be taken by winner
- Rewritten handling of battle obstacles. They will be now placed following H3 algorithm.
- Fixed crash when death stare or acid breath activated on stack that was just killed
- First aid tent can heal only creatures that suffered damage
- War machines can’t be healed by tent
- Creatures casting spells won’t try to cast them during tactic phase
- Console tooltips for first aid tent
- Console tooltips for teleport spell
- Cursor is reset to pointer when action is requested
- Fixed a few other missing or wrong tooltips/cursors
- Implemented opening creature window by l-clicking on stack
- Fixed crash on attacking walls with Cyclop Kings
- Fixed and simplified Teleport casting
- Fixed Remove Obstacle spell
- New spells supported:
- Chain Lightning
- Fire Wall
- Force Field
- Land Mine
- T in castle window will open a tavern window (if available)
- Pregame will use same resolution as main game
- Support for scaling background image
- Customization of graphics with config file.
- basic rule system for threat evaluation
- new town development logic
- AI can now use external dwellings
- AI will weekly revisit dwellings & mills
- AI will now always pick best stacks from towns
- AI will recruit multiple heroes for exploration
- AI won’t try attacking its own heroes
Full changelog is available here.