we are happy to present you a new VCMI release: 0.71. New features include morale and luck handling, a bunch of new supported objects and spells, time events, obstacles on battlefield, smooth map scrolling during hero movement. Apart from them we have done many bugfixes and improvements.
Download link: forum.vcmi.eu/dload.php?action=download&id=11 (2.5MB, ZIP Archive)
Extract the package into your main Heroes folder.
WoG 3.58f is required. We strongly recommend using English version.
If you have older version of VCMI, you have to overwrite it.
Remember that it’s possible to save the game by typing "save " in the console or by pressing “Save” button in the system options window. Game can be loaded using the main menu.
Old saves from 0.7 are not supported, format has been changed. They should be omitted by VCMI automatically but we recommend deleting them manually anyway.
VCMI supports new screen resolutions: 1024x600 and 1024x768. To use it resolution, type (before starting the actual game!) in the console “resolution” and pick appropriate one. Alternatively, you can change default resolution by the editing config/settings.txt file (carefully!). More convenient ways of changing screen resolution will come in further releases. Graphics for them was prepared by Dru (thanks!).
We are still planning further releases from 0.7x series. Considered features are handling artifacts, exploring seas, events on the map, area spells and town sieges. Stay tuned
Thanks for Aidis, Altair, amvmichael, dikamilo, Krystian1995, majaczek, Mirguth, Steven Aus, TrueTrue, Wiron, Zamolxis and everyone else who helped us with testing and improving VCMI (I hope I haven’t missed anyone). You’ve done great work, over 100 issues were reported since 0.7 and definitely most of them have been resolved.
For the general information about our project look here.
Our project isn’t really playable now, but it gives you an idea of progress we have made so far. We’re hoping that you’ll like it. Please report all the problems in the appropriate board.
We hope you’ll help us develop the project - details are available here. VCMI is an open source project. Our SVN repository with all the sources is available here. They are licensed under GNU GPL 2.0 or newer.
0.7 -> 0.71 (Apr 01 2009)
- fixed scrolling behind window problem (now it’s possible to scroll with CTRL + arrows)
- morale/luck system and corresponding sec. skills supported
- fixed crash when hero get level and has less than two sec. skills to choose between
- added keybindings for components in selection window (eg. for treasure chest dialog): 1, 2, and so on. Selection dialog can be closed with Enter key
- proper handling of custom portraits of heroes
- fixed problems with non-hero/town defs not present in def list but present on map (occurring probably only in case of def substitution in map editor)
- fixed crash when there was no hero available to hire for some player
- fixed problems with 1024x600 screen resolution
- updating blockmap/visitmap of randomized objects
- fixed crashes on loading maps with flag all mines/dwelling victory condition
- further fixes for leveling-up (stability and identical offered skills bug)
- splitting window allows to rebalance two stack with the same creatures
- support for numpad keyboard
- support for timed events
- added “Next hero” button functionality
- added missing path arrows
- corrected centering on hero’s position
- recalculating hero path after reselecting hero
- further changes in pathfinder making it more like original one
- orientation of hero can’t be change if movement points are exhausted
- campfire, borderguard, bordergate, questguard will be accessible from the top
- new movement cost calculation algorithm
- fixed sight radious calculation
- it’s possible to stop hero movement
- faster minimap refreshing
- provisional support for “Save” button in System Options Window
- it’s possible to revisit object under hero by pressing Space
- partial support for battle obstacles
- only one spell can be casted per turn
- blocked opening sepllbook if hero doesn’t have a one
- spells not known by hero can’t be casted
- spell books won’t be placed in War Machine slots after battle
- attack is now possible when hex under cursor is not displayed
- glowing effect of yellow border around creatures
- blue glowing border around hovered creature
- made animation on battlefield more smooth
- standing stacks have more static animation
- probably fixed problem with displaying corpses on battlefield
- fixes for two-hex creatures actions
- fixed hero casting spell animation
- corrected stack death animation
- battle settings will be remembered between battles
- improved damage calculation formula
- correct handling of flying creatures in battles
- a few tweaks in battle path/available hexes calculation (more of them is needed)
- amounts of units taking actions / being an object of actions won’t be shown until action ends
- fixed positions of stack queue and battle result window when resolution is != 800x600
- corrected duration of frenzy spell which was incorrect in certain cases
- corrected hero spell casting animation
- better support for battle backgrounds
- blocked “save” command during battle
- spellbook displays only spells known by Hero
New spells supported:
- cannot build more than one capitol
- cannot build shipyard if town is not near water
- Rampart’s Treasury requires Miner’s Guild
- minor improvements in Recruitment Window
- fixed crash occuring when clicking on hero portrait in Tavern Window, minor improvements for Tavern Window
- proper updating resdatabar after building structure in town or buying creatures (non 800x600 res)
- fixed blinking resdatabar in town screen when buying (800x600)
- fixed horde buildings displaying in town hall
- forbidden buildings will be shown as forbidden, even if there are no res / other conditions are not fulfilled
- added scrolling scenario list with mouse wheel
- fixed mouse slow downs
- cannot select heroes for computer player (pregame)
- no crash if uses gives wrong resolution ID number
- minor fixes
- windmill gives 500 gold only during first week ever (not every month)
- After the first visit to the Witch Hut, right-click/hover tip mentions the skill available.
New objects supported:
- Magic Well
- Faerie Ring
- Swan Pond
- Idol of Fortune
- Fountain of Fortune
- Rally Flag
- Watering Hole
- Fountain of Youth
- support for Redwood Observatory
- support for Shrine of Magic Incantation / Gesture / Thought
- support for Sign / Ocean Bottle
Minor improvements and fixes.
Full changelog is available here.