VCMI 0.7 is finally available. It took much time but changes are really significant. The most notable is the possibility to save and load games. To save game you need to write 'save ’ in the console during the game (it’s still experimental). Loading through the main menu works as in Heroes III.
There is also a new, better AI that does something during battles (though still highly experimental) created by new member of VCMI team - ambtrip. We’ve made many improvements in battles making them more challenging. Many new spells are supported. We’ve also revamped our pathfinder - now it should always find the most optimal path.
Another important new feature is support for new screen resolutions. The VCMI package comes with graphics for 1024x600 and 1024x768 resolutions. They’re made by Dru, many thanks! To use non-standard resolution, type (before starting the actual game!) in the console “resolution” and pick appropriate one. Alternatively, you can change default resolution by the editing config/settings.txt file (carefully!). More convenient ways of changing screen resolution will come in further releases.
Further releases from 0.7x series will bring more features and improvements (apart from bugfixes).
Download link: forum.vcmi.eu/dload.php?action=download&id=10 (2.5MB, ZIP Archive)**
Extract the package into your main Heroes folder.
WoG 3.58f is required. We strongly recommend using English version.
If you have older version of VCMI, you have to overwrite it.
Thanks for Zamolxis, Steven Aus, amvmichael and everyone else who helped us with testing and improving VCMI.
For the general information about our project look here.
Our project isn’t really playable now, but it gives you an idea of progress we have made so far. We’re hoping that you’ll like it. Please report all the problems in the appropriate board.
We hope you’ll help us develop the project - details are available here. Beginning with this release VCMI becomes an open source project. Our SVN repository with all the sources is available here. We release them under GNU GPL license 2.0 or newer. Further development information will be available on our board soon.
0.64 -> 0.7 (Feb 01 2009)
- move some settings to the config/settings.txt file
- partial support for new screen resolutions
- it’s possible to set game resolution in pregame (type ‘resolution’ in the console)
- /Data and /Sprites subfolders can be used for adding files not present in .lod archives
- fixed crashbug occurring when hero levelled above 15 level
- support for non-standard screen resolutions
- F4 toggles between full-screen and windowed mode
- minor improvements in creature card window
- splitting stacks with the shift+click
- creature card window contains info about modified speed
- added water animation
- speed of scrolling map and hero movement can be adjusted in the System Options Window
- partial handling r-clicks on adventure map
- the scroll tab won’t remain hanged to our mouse position if we move the mouse is away from the scroll bar
- fixed cloning creatures bug in garrisons (and related issues)
- support for the Wait command
- magic arrow really works
- war machines support partially added
- queue of stacks narrowed
- spell effect animation displaying improvements
- positive/negative spells cannot be cast on hostile/our stacks
- showing spell effects affecting stack in creature info window
- more appropriate colouring of stack amount box when stack is affected by a spell
- battle console displays notifications about wait/defend commands
- several reported bugs fixed
- new spells supported:
b) lightning bolt
c) ice bolt
h) air shield
m) stone skin
- Genius AI (first VCMI AI) will control computer creatures during the combat.
- Guardians property for resources is handled
- support for Witch Hut
- support for Arena
- support for Library of Enlightenment
And a lot of minor fixes
Full changelog is available here.