Main bug thread

Is seems that we’re motivating each other. Excellent :slight_smile:

#2 and #3 are reproducible and I’ll fix them by the 0.62 release.
#1 isn’t, I’m going to prepare special version for further testing this issue within a few days after release.

Well, as I’m not finding any bug so far today, I’m gonna settle with reporting some FUNCTIONALITY issues:

1 - Abandoned Mine window still mentions Gold, when mine gives Mithril:

2 - I know battles with other heroes are not yet implemented. But maybe it would be a good idea to implement them in one of the following VCMI releases. I ran a couple of times into maps which had an enemy hero blocking a certain pass, and because of that there was no way of going further in exploring the map (e.g.: in the “Adventures of Jared Haret”, we can explore only a piece of the underground, as blue hero is blocking the tunnel at some point).

Heh… just after posting the above, I actually ran into a BUG:

1 - If I set hero path and then I click on the “Move Hero” button in the right panel, the game freezes (can only exit by terminating the application in Task Manager):

Same thing happens if I use the “M” hotkey. Always reproducible.

I know battles are only poorly implemented, but still I thought of reporting this bug:

2 - While battling some Ice Elementals, I thought of checking if now we can attack them in both hexes. When the Centaur reached the Ice E., I first attacked on the front hex. After Elf’s turn, I attacked the Ice E. in its back hex (and the Centaur moved accordingly, in the position you see it below). Then the Elf got its shot, but afterwards, when it was Centaurs turn and I clicked on the front hex again, my unit got “deselected”. That means it didn’t attack. Nor did the selection move to the Elf.

I could not attack with any of my units. I tried exiting the battle by pressing the “Retreat” button, but nothing happened. The game did not really crash. I could still press all the buttons. I could even scroll up & down the battle log. But there was just no way of exiting the battle screen.

I exited the client completely, and reloaded the map with different alignments. Like this I found out when the bug occurs, that is only when a 2-hex creature attacks another 2-hex creature.

To reproduce it, take the map “Arrogance” which has some Ice Elementals just next to the starting town. If your alignment will be Castle, Tower, Necro etc (Pikemen, Gremlin, Skeleton - all 1-hex), you’ll see you can attack the Ice E. alternatively in both hexes till they are finished. And then you can exit the game. But if you start with Rampart (Centaurs) or Stronghold (Wolf Raiders), you’ll see that the 3rd attack with your 2-hex creature will generate the bug.

3 - As a related FUNCTIONALITY issue, I’ve noticed that we cannot yet select the direction of our attack. In the screenshot above, my Centaurs came from below, and still they went up to attack the Ice Elements. Only when the upper hexes are occupied, we can attack from the front or below.

4 - Another FUNCTIONALITY issue for me is the map which scrolls too fast when my mouse pointer is at map edges. I’m getting almost “afraid” of being close to map edges, as it only takes a fraction of a second for the map to be totally out of focus. And there’s not even a hotkey to recenter it on the hero. Maybe it’s also some mouse related setting on my PC, I’m not sure. But IMO it’s too sensitive.

A solution here could be implementing already the functionality of opening hero/town interface if hero/town is selected, when pressing “Enter”. Like this I would know that I can simply hit Enter twice, and the screen will open/close the hero/town interface - as upon exit the map is again centered on hero/town. Would be way better then what I’m doing now, going with my pointer to all sides of the map till I get it centered ('cause like when it’s too much too the left, and I go only for a split second to the right edge, the map almost jumps to that edge).

While testing the Barbarian Breakout map (S-RoE), I found several issues/**bugs **in the **Build interface **of the Fortress Town. Later I checked, and all BUGS/issues are **reproducible **on any other map where chosen town is Fortress!

3 - After I’ve built Captain’s Quarters, the building still showed as not built (in the Build interface, as it appeared in the town screen). Moreover, as you can see below, if you right click on it, it says “Requires Upg Gnoll Hut” - which is not a condition in the original game:

However, after I’ve built the Upg Gnoll Hutt, the Cpt Quarters icon suddenly changed from red to gold, finally showing correctly.

UPDATE: I thought of checking if this is not a general bug for all alignments, and good thing. It turns out it affects all creature growth boosting buildings:
→ **Griffin Bastion **at Castle
Miner’s Guild *and *Dendroid Saplings at Rampart
→ **Sculptor’s Wings **at Tower
→ **Birthing Pools ***and ***Cages **at Inferno
→ **Unearthed Graves **at Necropolis
→ **Mushroom Rings **at Dungeon
→ **Mess Hall **at Stronghold
→ **Captain’s Quarters **at Fortress
→ and **Garden of Life **at Conflux

4 - Build interface shows in the beginning of the game as if Glyphs of Fear are already built. However they are not in the Town interface (nor are they supposed to - I checked the H3C version). This is probably also the cause of other two problems listed here below (see first screenshot for exemplification):

5 - You can see in the screenshot above that we have all the necessary resources to build Blood Obelisk, and still building is unavailable. If we right click we see it needs (duh!) Glyphs of Fear. But of course we cannot build that, because the icon should be where the Blood Obelisk one is. :slight_smile:

6 - And for the same reason, we also cannot build Cage of Warlords

5 - As seen in the screenshot above, Shipyard can be built, even though there is no water around the town. But this is most certainly just a not yet implemented FUNCTIONALITY (the correlation between Adventure Map neighbouring “terrain” & Town/Build Interface). Of course, this also affects all alignments with Shipyard.

6 - At Castle (only), after Shipyard is built, the icon in the Build interface should change, allowing us to build Lighthouse. Instead, the icon just changes the label color to gold, as if there wouldn’t be any further upgrade to the structure.

[size=75]PS: I hope my color separation between bugs & issues does not actually annoy you or anything. :stuck_out_tongue: For me it’s an easy way to keep track of what is what, and the numbering is reset with each dev version released, to make it clear there are bugs found while testing the latest update.[/size]

Bugs:
#1, #2, #4, #5, #6 are hopefully fixed.
#3 is a complex one, game treats horde buildings for upgraded and non-upgraded creatures as different buildings. Present state should be treated as a provisional workaround. AFAIK it’s identical functionally with original H3 and therefore I think it’s not very important to fix it now.

Functionality issues:
#1 - I’ve blocked this message, support for abandoned mine will be added later.
#2, #4, #6 - I’ll make this possible in the next dev release.
#3 - TowDragon will hopefully add this functionality by the next release (but of course I can’t promise anything for him)
#5 - Will be added… maybe even quite soon, it’s not very hard.

As for 0.62 the unresolved are:

• Bug #3
  • Issues #2, #4, #6.

No, I think it’s a good idea and it helps in recognizing what is what. :slight_smile:

0.62 (basic version) BUGS:

1 - Adventure map bug (always reproducible): When attacking a monster on Swamp terrain, the game partially freezes (there is still map animation, but we cannot perform any action anymore, like move hero, end turn, open town screen etc) with the hero overlapping the monster:

(screenshot from All for One map, where I started with blue player - but it’s reproducible on all maps, for all alignments)

2 - Battle Screen bug : Boars cannot be attacked in their front hex:

…and we can also move our creatures in that hex:

3 - CRASH bug (NOT reproducible). On the map A Terrible Rumor, when the hero finished his movement and I double clicked on the town icon in the right side of the screen, the game crashed:

I tried reproducing it (same alignment, same terrain, at end of movement points or before), but did not succeed. Could even be related to the fact that I was running several applications in parallel (music player, Y!M and scanning the drives for a certain file) - I don’t know. I’ll let you know if it ever happens again.

Thanks for fixing BUGS 1 & 2 above. I didn’t expect it to be fixed in 0.62b because they were not in the change log (though testing for BUG 1 was not so easy anymore, as since 0.62b it seems we cannot access forts anymore - but I’ll report this in the other thread). :->

Bug 1 actually has been mentioned in changelog for 0.62b: “fixed crashbug with battles on swamps and rough terrain”. :->
Ant there is 0.62c version released 30 min. ago :slight_smile:

Oops… gotta pay more attention. Heading to 0.62c (man… and I had such a list written down to report - not sure if I should hope they’re all fixed in 0.62c) :smiley:

EDIT:
Hehe… just as i thought, these were among others on my list:

• bug with pathfinder
  • events won’t be shown and won’t block movement
  • casualties among hero army and neutral creatures are saved
  • it’s possible to build lighthouse
  • defeated hero is removed

I’ll double check if a certain bug is still reproducible, and then I’ll post everything remaining from my list in the 0.62c thread. :slight_smile:

whenever i try to start vcmi i get this message:

G:\spilltesting\Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete>VCMI_server.exe
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is in
correct. Please see the application event log for more detail.

im running a fresh h3wog 3,58f + script update, but it still wont work, what could the problem be?
p.s i had it up and running when it was at version 0.55

Vista 64bit

Two questions:

1. Are you sure you have run VCMI through VCMI_client.exe?
  2. Did you install this : microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en ? (it’s 32 bit version, don’t try to look for 64 bit version as it won’t work with VCMI).

the answer to both your questions are yes. reinstalled just to be sure but still the same

So it is probably a problem with operating system. No VCMI devs have Vista, so I don’t know when it will be solved.

okay, that would explain why i could use it before and not now. looks like ill have to boot into linux and use wine then hehe

Unfortunately AFAIK VCMI doesn’t work on Linux + wine either :(.

Are you planning to port VCMI to linux some day? That would be pretty cool and you would also gain a comunity, as linux gaming is not very big and every game is a precious jewel to us. You could even gain a few developers (I would volunteer if only I knew programming well enough - I know a lot, but I have no experience)

Yeah noticed… it tries to detach a process that it isnt attached to

Yes, we are going to release Linux version of VCMI but I don’t know when. There will be some problems with it such as video playing (we have an application that plays about a half of original Heroes III videos but it uses one of Heroes III dlls, which probably couldn’t be executed on Linux) but most features should work.

why dont you just use wine instead? it must be easier than changing the video player
if you need any help with stability and other bug tracking in linux let me know =)