Could "hybrid graphics" be possible please using HD Edition artwork?

Hello,

I tried Heroes3 HD Edition from Ubisoft the other day, and it’s really sad not to have those graphics in our usual games. As you know HD Edition is RoE only.

So is it possible please to make VCMI use the HD graphics if user provides them ?

I mean when the battle field has only RoE creatures and heroes, VCMI could open the HD screen. If SoD-only creatures are present on the battle filed, then VCMI pops-up the usual “SD” battle screen.

Same for the towns: SoD-only towns would open in the SD screen, full-RoE towns open in the new HD screen. SoD creatues in such a town (garrison or visiting), would switch the town screen back to SD mode.

Same for the world map: User can have a “Zoom In” button that is only enabled when the map includes no SoD objects/creatures. If one such object comes into view, the HD map fades out to the SD map and the “Zoom In” button is no longer available. Though this might feel bad for some users.

Do you think such a system would be possible please ? Or worth it ?

Thank you,
Adrian Vasile Constantin

Possible in the future, sure, worth it? Don’t think so, but that’s because I hate the “HD” graphics on the HD edition, I think it’s too cartoonish. Maybe they who make VCMI have an other opinion. Dunno

Sometimes the design studio works with higher resolution graphics, and scale them down before release.

I strongly suspect the HD Edition graphics were developed in the original game design by 3DO / NWC, and the old SD graphics are based on these HD Edition ones, as they look just too familiar to a H3 player.

I strongly suspect the HD Edition graphics were developed in the original game design by 3DO / NWC, and the old SD graphics are based on these HD Edition ones, as they look just too familiar to a H3 player.

This is nonsense, these graphics were hand-drawn by new company hired by Ubisoft. They even posted promotional video where this is shown explicitely.

Also, if they look familiar to you, you may need to have your eyes checked :v

i don’t like HD images too, as Tooandorisu said above, they are too cartoonish, like some cheap games on android.

Honestly i really like the Ubisofts HD graphics, its very close to the original and would love to use the Ubisofts HD assets (eg. have a way of combining them with the gog version)… anything changed on that after 2018?

Not really I guess? I’d like to eventually allow upscaled assets (e.g. HD Edition, or any other player-provided source).

But right now this is quite low in the list of priorities.We still have quite a lot of way more important tasks to do at the moment.

yes, thats another point, AI upsacaling is becoming incredibly good

look at this Doom Neural Upscale 2X [v 1.0] - WADs & Mods - Doomworld

For now, someone could make vcmi port of ERA-HD-EDITION mod.

1 Like