800x480 resolution

I understand. And yes, I would postpone MP support until 800x480 is working. You’re talking to someone who is not able to play at all until the resolution is supported. :wink:

IMHO it makes more sense to change the GUI design to something that supports any resolution before anything else is implemented. The more code you write based on the “old” design, the harder it could be to change it afterwards.

Still, it’s your decision, and I accept it if this is your last word.

What I worry about more is that currently game works ONLY in 800x600, any other setting for pregame causes bugs. I believe this setting should be hardcoded now.

Not true. Kingdom overview window scales freely to any resolution, thanks to Ivan. But other windows don’t have such possibility.

Neither I nor Tow have smartphones that could run VCMI… so for us 800x480 support is just another feature wanted by users. Less important than MP because almost all players want to play MP games and only some of them have smartphones.

That’s true. But I doubt that the amount of extra work will be significant in this case. To be precise: the main problem is making windows bigger than 800x480 fit in smaller resolutions and it has little to do (but not nothing) with core GUI system used as a basis for new windows. So the development of VCMI in other directions won’t have major impact on 800x480 support.

Read the first two lines of settings.txt :). But maybe you’re right.

^Well, this becomes a serious problem when you come back to main menu from the game in high resolution.

Well, can we at least revert the scrolling part? It would have been a nice feature, but as the game itself doesn’t run with it, it’s better to have no scrolling. That way we can have a semi-working version until 1.0 was released…

Who will be able to play without MP and AI?

Well, that’s for 800x480 main menu screens. They’re after all not a really big problem for you, since hotkeys can be used to access buttons in the not visible part of screen.

The issue are all that windows bigger than your screen - scenario selection, town screen, hero window, battles (!) and many others. I don’t have any idea how to support 800x480 (scaling would be very troublesome and cause significant slowdown - battles are too slow even without that…) other than “better scrolling”.

On the other hand, I have also some good news. Dru prepared a new graphics for main menu background and buttons that’ll be used to provide generic resolution support. However I can’t tell, when I’ll start work on that or how long it’ll take.

You’re right, few more windows that need to be fixed… :smiley:

Thanks a lot! Sounds promising! :slight_smile:

Well, i’ve got an Android-OS tablet Pocketbook IQ 701. It has 800x600 resolution, but i have no knowledge of coding to port VCMI myself.

What should be done for beginning of Android port? GUI crop or what? :slight_smile:

Sorz, can’t register on this forum. Strange. o_O

@ Roman: 800x600, the resolution of IQ 701 is actually the default resolution of the game, so I guess you won’t need to worry about “GUI crop”. Porting to Android though it’s another story. Not sure if anyone attempted it to give you some advice.

[size=75]Regarding forum registration, what’s the error that you get?[/size]

I can try to port VCMI to Android. I think is not difficult. But support of 800x480 resolution is needed. It’s most resolution for Android devices.

well look to mobile mode topic - there are considered some ways to provide sub-800x600 resolutions

also there considered that something has to be done to memory support

also there is general talk about vcmi on smartphone

when i’ve copied these files from first post, i can’t start the game.

i have **N900 **and game works on 800x600 but i can’t start new game, because i don’t see Start button :slight_smile:

So my problem is:

After command vcmiclient it starts, but after line:
Loading default system settings: 30
there is:
Segmentation fault

and program stops. What should i do to play in 800x480?

800x480 is NOT functional (NOT supported) resolution in VCMI yet. Remember that VCMI is still ALPHA, and running it on platforms like your phone can cause additional problems.

But 800x480 is functional on N900 (package from maemo dev extras repository)! Someone has rebuilt interface and most buttons are visible.

I’m pretty convinced that if it was functional, I’d know something about it. Adding proper support would require significant changes in the engine.
Yes, the adventure interface has been rebuilt to fit 800x480 (the screenshots can be seen on the first page of thread) but it’s not enough. There are other parts of game that also needs redesigning or scrolling support, like pregame (main menu and scenario selection), battles, towns…

Anyway, our the first priorities ATM are making game playable and achieving feature-parity with OH3. Without that not only N900 owners but no one can actually play.

i believe the bugs.vcmi.eu/view.php?id=821 feature will be crucial to use 800x480 as some windows (eg battle screen) can’t be redesigned freely

its very easy and very quick sort of scaling feature

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/4919/hommbattle.png

?

fullsize

That looks like a nice solution. The main thing we’re missing is the battle log, but perhaps that could be somehow integrated in the Console? However that’s not a core element (I rarely read it, but I can imagine it can be frustrating that one time you want to read what happened exactly).

Do you have the code for it or is that just an image edited as suggestion? If you have the code, then we’re one important step closer to be ready to support this resolution as well. :slight_smile:

One more aesthetic detail: if we’ll have separate code for the button placement, maybe we could have the same for hero placement. Actually the hero used to be placed lower in VCMI before, but it was corrected to be like in OH3. beegee made the fix, so he may know if it can be changed back (or moved even lower) for this resolution only.

Makes sense to me :wink:
Zamolxis already said everything.

Zamolxis, Warmonger

For now I just deleted it, cause I don’t know where to place it…

never in my experience :slight_smile:

I have. I’ll post it here some later

I dont think that patch will be really useful for mainstream code. For now it is heavy and dirty

And one more thing: for now works only battles and adventure map, no towns, no pop-up windows and so