we are happy to release VCMI 0.95. The main highlight of this feature is support for campaigns. This was pretty much the last big feature missing from single-player mode game. It is still not fully complete — it misses some minor features — but for the first time campaigns are oficially supported and it is possible to play through them.
Many other engine parts received various improvements, including the AI. The 0.95 release brings also several new possibilities for modders, see the wiki page for details.
Beginning with this release, VCMI on Windows stores user settings, saved games and logs in the “vcmi” folder in the user’s home directory (typically C:\Users\Username\vcmi on recent Windows releases).
Many reported bugs have are fixed, see the bugtracker changelog for the list.
Check for the full information about which spells, artifacts and campaign features are supported.
Recently, the new Android port project has been published. It seems to be of comparable quality to our official releases, though it is not the part of project and official distribution. Please see the forum thread of the port for more information.
Extract the package into your main Heroes folder. If you have older version of VCMI, delete it first.
VCMI works with SoD, WoG 3.58f and ERA installations. We recommend using English version, though VCMI should also work with other language versions. If you want to make your H3 installation English, extract this package into Data/ subfolder.
Save format has been changed, savegames from previous versions won’t work with 0.95.
VCMI supports 800x600, 1024x600, 1024x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1366x768, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1080 and 1920x1080 screen resolutions. To switch default resolution in system settings window click “HIGH” button and select resolution (available only in game). As for now custom resolution is only applied when the map is started.
Many thanks for all testers and developers who contributed to this build.
For the general information about our project look here. Our project isn’t really playable now, but it gives you an idea of progress we have made so far. We’re hoping that you’ll like it.
For bug reports, we have deployed separate bugtracker. Please report bugs using this form. Check this page for the list of known bugs and details.
We hope you’ll help us develop the project — details are available here. VCMI is an open source project licensed under GNU GPL 2.0 or higher. Our SVN repository with all the sources is available here.
You can look for help in building and developing VCMI sources in the development board.
0.94 -> 0.95 (Mar 01 2014)
- Components of combined artifacts will now display info about entire set.
- Implements level limit
- Added WoG creature abilities by Kuririn
- Implemented a confirmation dialog when pressing Alt + F4 to quit the game
- Added precompiled header compilation for CMake (can be enabled per flag)
- VCMI will detect changes in text files using crc-32 checksum
- Basic support for unicode. Internally vcmi always uses utf-8
- (linux) Launcher will be available as “VCMI” menu entry from system menu/launcher
- (linux) Added a SIGSEV violation handler to vcmiserver executable for logging stacktrace (for convenience)
More info at wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=Adventure_AI
- AI will use fuzzy logic to compare and choose multiple possible subgoals.
- AI will now use SectorMap to find a way to guarded / covered objects.
- Significantly improved exploration algorithm.
- Locked heroes now try to decompose their goals exhaustively.
- Fixed (common) issue when AI found neutral stacks infinitely strong.
- Improvements for army exchange criteria.
- GatherArmy may include building dwellings in town (experimental).
- AI should now conquer map more agressively and much faster
- Fuzzy rules will be printed out at map launch (if AI log is enabled)
- Implemented move heroes to next scenario
- Support for non-standard victory conditions for H3 campaigns
- Campaigns use window with bonus & scenario selection than scenario information window from normal maps
- Implemented hero recreate handling (e.g. Xeron will be recreated on AB campaign)
- Moved place bonus hero before normal random hero and starting hero placement -> same behaviour as in OH3
- Moved placing campaign heroes before random object generation -> same behaviour as in OH3
- Extended building dependencies support
Full changelog is available here.