Installation on Linux Mint

Hey,
im trying to install heroes3 on laptop with Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.
I ran VCMI building commands and it went well, then i loaded first cd:
vcmibuilder --cd1 /media/ondrej/HEROES3/

that went well too

then second one: (changed the discs in cd-rom from “disc 1- installation” to “disc 2- game disc”)
vcmibuilder --cd2 /media/ondrej/H3_disk2/

got response: cp: cannot create regular file ‘/home/ondrej/.local/share/vcmi/Data/Heroes3.vid’: Permission denied

tried: sudo vcmibuilder --cd2 /media/ondrej/H3_disk2/
typed the password
got: sudo: vcmibuilder: command not found

also tried the same thing as root, but it didnt help.

I own Playman exclusive Heroes III complete cd roms from Ubisoft. Also im new to linux, so take that in mind please :smiley:

Thanks a lot to everybody, i would love to play Heroes 3 on my linux laptop.

The “Permission denied” message suggests that your current user (probably “ondrej” but you can find out using the command “whoami”) does not have the right privileges to create files inside ‘/home/ondrej/.local/share/vcmi/Data/Heroes3.vid’. This should happen because it’s the home directory of the “ondrej” user. You can find out about the directory permissions using “ls -lha /home/ondrej/.local/share/vcmi/Data/”.

The second message “command not found” suggests that the command “vcmibuilder” is not in the “$PATH” that sudo knows about. But this is not important because you should not need to use sudo to write files into your home directory.

That means the I, as “ondrej” , cant write in my own home directory?

I doubt that you cannot write in your own home directory but it seems that you cannot write into this specific subdirectory of your home directory. You didn’t run the commands yet that I suggested you run so I cannot tell you more. But your question does not seem vcmi specific but more a general question of how to use GNU/Linux.

Hey, so i got to my laptop after a long time and ran the “ls -lha /home/ondrej/.local/share/vcmi/Data/” command.
This is what i got:

total 750M
drwx------ 2 ondrej ondrej 4,0K May 8 19:30 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 ondrej ondrej 4,0K May 14 14:48 …
-rw-r–r-- 1 ondrej ondrej 1,5M May 8 19:30 H3ab_ahd.snd
-rw-r–r-- 1 ondrej ondrej 1,6M May 8 19:30 H3ab_ahd.vid
-rw-r–r-- 1 ondrej ondrej 42M May 8 19:30 H3ab_bmp.lod
-rw-r–r-- 1 ondrej ondrej 12M May 8 19:30 H3ab_spr.lod
-rw-r–r-- 1 ondrej ondrej 101M May 8 19:30 H3bitmap.lod
-rw-r–r-- 1 ondrej ondrej 62M May 8 19:30 H3sprite.lod
-r-------- 1 ondrej ondrej 28M May 8 19:30 Heroes3-cd2.snd
-rw-r–r-- 1 ondrej ondrej 15M May 8 19:30 Heroes3.snd
-r-------- 1 ondrej ondrej 468M May 8 19:30 Heroes3.vid
-rw-r–r-- 1 ondrej ondrej 22M May 8 19:30 VIDEO.VID

What does it say to me? :smiley: Thanks a lot for helping me.

Hi,

the output you got from ls -lha ... explains the error you initially got. You got the error:

cp: cannot create regular file ‘/home/ondrej/.local/share/vcmi/Data/Heroes3.vid’: Permission denied

Which makes sense because if you look at the output of ls -lha ... you also see:

-r-------- 1 ondrej ondrej 468M May 8 19:30 Heroes3.vid

The very first entry in that line means that this file is only readable but not writable at all by anybody. It is unclear what changed the permissions of Heroes3.vid and Heroes3-cd2.snd so that they are not writable. In any case, you have to make the file writable or otherwise vcmibuilder cannot overwrite it.

If you don’t know how to change file permissions, maybe it’s simpler for you to just delete the files in question and then running vcmibuilder again which will copy the right files to there.

Try this as regular user (ondrej) or with sudo if it will not work:
chmod 755 /home/ondrej/.local/share/vcmi/Data
chmod 755 /home/ondrej/.local/share/vcmi/Data/Heroes3.vid

then try again with that one:
vcmibuilder --cd2 /media/ondrej/H3_disk2/

as for the sudo problem, when it throws you back command not found but you know you have the correct script/binary in the current folder you do this:
sudo ./vcmibuilder --cd2 /media/ondrej/H3_disk2/
but it shouldn’t require sudo in this case, it’s just an example for future :3