Loving VCMI – it really brings back some good memories and helps me kill time when waiting for meetings to start or programs to compile.
But I have two similar problems occur frequently after playing my first turn:
- The entire map will become visible and show all my opponents moving around, even if I have no allies configured. This problem is the most common.
- Other times I’ll see one or two computer players running around and exposing the parts of the map they explore. Other computer players will be correctly invisible. This is more rare.
I check the Scenario Information and it says that I have no allies. I don’t know if I should file a bug report because I might be doing something else wrong. I’m too new of a member to post attachments, so I cannot include any VSGM1 files here.
Problems occur on all three of the following versions:
VCMI 1.3.1 installed via Flatpak on Arch Linux
VCMI 1.3.1 compiled locally on Arch Linux, using AUR package
VCMI 126.96.36.199d7f3e61c2f5c532e53c7f8871ce314d71eaf962 (version displayed in client title bar), compiled locally using
Actually, I just checked “Scenario Information” again, and it says I have 7 enemies, which I expect… but I now understand I can right-click on the enemy flags and it will show me the team configuration.
My current scenario is supposed to be a 1v7 FFA, where all the flags in the “teams” configuration in the scenario information were placed in separate rows. This scenario shows the #2 behavior described above, where I do not see the whole map but do see some AI movement and map exposure. Strangely, even though I have no allies in the current scenario, I am shown as having Yellow as a teammate when I right-click the enemy flag list in Scenario Information. Even stranger, I see Tan movement, not Yellow.
Current version is v1.3.1 Flatpak
What map are you playing on?
Standard map? Random map? Downloaded custom map?
This happens with Random Maps that are generated through the game interface. That is my preferred way of playing. Sorry for forgetting that important detail.
I have made a couple of custom maps but have not played them enough to determine if this problem occurs with them.
Do you see any allies visible on day 1, before end of turn?
It isn’t consistent. There are four “bad” cases:
- No other players visible during first turn, but then one computer player’s actions and map exposures become visible.
- No other players visible during first turn, but whole map is exposed and all computer players’ actions are visible immediately after I end my first turn.
- One or more players (usually just one) visible during first turn, but then one computer player’s actions and map exposures become visible.
- One or more players (usually just one) visible during first turn, but whole map is exposed and all computer players’ actions are visible immediately after I end my first turn.
I think I should collect some example savegames before asking you for any more help. I might be able to attach them now that I have a short history of interaction on the forum. It will likely be impossible for you to troubleshoot this problem only from my description. Thank you very much for responding, and I’ll return with my VSGM1 files when I’ve collected one example of each case!
This is really weird.
Map reveal is expected if you have allies AND you changed default allied AI in Launcher from VCAI to Nullkiller. But even this won’t explain all of your cases.
Saves would help, preferable before this issue occurs, so from 1st turn. Let me know whether saves are from 1.3.1 or from current develop.
If you have problems with uploading here - you can open issue on Github ( Issues · vcmi/vcmi · GitHub ) and upload saves in zip archive. Or upload them someplace else, e.g. Google Drive (or whatever is suitable for you)
Attached is an example Day 1 savegame consistent with Case 3 listed above, from today’s lunch break. I created a random medium map scenario with 8 players (1 human, 7 computer), and set it as a free-for-all with no teams. The main Scenario Information window correctly shows Red alone as “Allies” so I’m supposed to be on my own. The 7 other colors are listed as “Enemies.”
However, if I right-click the allies/enemies box in Scenario Information I see a popup that Green, Orange, Teal, and Pink are Team 1; and Red, Blue, Tan, and Purple are Team 2. This is despite leaving the Teams configuration with one flag in each row in the Random Map setup. This conflict appears to be the source of the problem with this particular example, as I see three computer players, their towns, and movement consistent with the teams displayed in the secondary popup window.
I have attached a zip containing my savegames for the end of day 111 and beginning of day 112, as well as a screenshot displaying the conflicting team ally/enemy and team information.
conflicting-ally-info-case3.zip (3.1 MB)
Edit: The version is v1.3.1 installed via Flatpak on Arch Linux
Unable to reproduce unfortunately…
- If I load your save I see Red (you) and 3 AI’s which do match team setup in game. Scenario information also shows two teams, 4 players each.
- Ending turn does not reveals any new players in addition to these 3 AI’s
- Generating new random map with all players set to a separate team leads to expected effect - only one player (me) visible on map, and no AI actions are visible after end of turn.
- Restarting scenario and regenerating random map leads to the same effect.