Documentation

Manual updated to version 0.9 with new fetaures.
dc93.4shared.com/img/135714811/d0214227/vcmimanual.pdf

I’d like to geyt some feedback on main menu background customization (couldn’t make it work properly). Also, on installation notes for multiple supported systems.

In general, list of supported systems would be handy.

4shared asks for registration. Maybe reupload it somewhere else?

English language files - I think that VCMI should work with localized data as well. At least Russian works fine for several releases.

What about GUI?
Console way is disabled due to high res main menu.

Editing files? That’s too complex :slight_smile:
Unpack this into game directory (won’t work with 0.89)
dl.dropbox.com/u/22372764/vcmi/ … w-menu.zip
I’ve changed format of of config/mainmenu.json a bit so old package does not works with trunk.

On Linux-based systems ALL data files can be placed in ~/.vcmi directory (one of new FS features)
And it is not “home directory”. Home is /home/username/, shortcut is “~”.
BTW - check for typos (“sysems”)

Logging:
On Linux-based logs are in ~/.vcmi directory, no crash dump

Regarding systems from TODO list:
Linux - OK, compiled packages for Debian\Ubuntu and possibly Fedora (if beegee is still around)
Mac OS - can be compiled AFAIK
Android - …
Haiku - Still 0.86. Probably not maintained. haikuware.com/directory/view-det … -magic-iii
Maemo - 800x480
FreeBSD - no success so far.

EDIT
Forgot about this:
Starting from 0.90 VCMI can be installed on H3 + Era setups

I suggest including the documentation source (LaTeX) in the svn tree. This way everything is in one place and accessible. Another thing that should be included are the main-menu graphics and configs. I think everything should be in svn.
Also, are there sources available for the new graphics? I mean native files of the program used for editing. Preferably any such sources should also be in svn.

Awesome news :smiley:
Manual is now avaliable in Dropbox.

I think that uploading latex source somewhere (svn\wiki\whatever) is a good idea - manual still have several issues, mostly in Linux-specific sections.

Uploaded it to svn :slight_smile:

In the pdf manual. There are 2 ways described for changing resolution. Both misleading imo.

Instead I found and used the provided in-game menu.

Same case for full screen.

Some suggestions for the manual (some already posted in the 0.89d thread), a couple related to the above post on the misleading info for Resolutions & Fullscreen, as well as few others:

High resolutions

1. We also support 1280x800 now
  2. I’d change “Switching resolution may not only change visible area of map, but also alters some interface features such as Stack Queue.” with “Higher resolutions not only increase the visible are of the map, but also make room for enhanced interface items such as full size version of the new Stack Queue”.
  3. I’d also change “Use interactive ”settings” menu when in game” and the reference to the outdated Settings.txt to the following:

Fullscreen
4. Should be separated from the High resolutions chapter. Either moved just below, or under Minor improvements or New controls.
5. The whole text should change to something like:

1. Page 6 is almost empty, chapter 4 starting after a page break, which is a bit inconsistent with the rest of the chapters which didn’t require page break before. I’d remove the page break.

2. There are two enhancements to the Town Screen in VCMI, which could be added either under Minor improvements or under New controls:

Not sure if I updated the manual since last changes made by Ivan. Anyway, it’s now avaliable in the repository
vcmi.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroo … manual.tex

I also think about sharing manual folder on Dropbox so anyone could upload updated version. Dropbox also allows us to use some graphics etc, unlike SVN.

I’m not sure if it’s a browser thing, but if I access the link you gave, I get the manual in text format which is neither user-friendly to read, nor editable so I can make changes in it myself…

Or do you mean I can use that to copy into Wordpad, make the changes, and send it back to you for update?

This is LaTeX “source”, before rendering into pdf or some other format.

Well, SVN allows binaries so we can upload them directly to SVN. Not sure if sf.net have some kind of size restrictions - binaries under version control may eat a lot of space.

But Dropbox directory works for me as well.