Common format for configuration files

The memory model of C++ doesn’t make much sense. It’s both overcomplicated and too limiting. But it’s getting off the topic.

My fault. Missed that vector insertion. It may be better to replace “upgrade” field in JSON with array - to allow such stuff like multiple upgrades in the future.

I thought about this too. Probably will work on this in September.

That worked fine for me. I’ll make default values “static” for now and replace them with references to value from DTD later.

Forgot about that. I’ll remove Float()\String()\etc then.

I’m trying to merge cregens.txt into creatures.json. The problem is that they are parsed by different objects (CObjectHandler vs CCreatureHandler). Is it possible to move the vector cregens from the first object into the second ? It seems easy to do, but I don’t understand the implications.

Also CObjectHandler is parsing files that are widely different. Is it used as a catch-all ?

These handler classes in lib are all just engine-wide visible containers for game mechanics info. It’s possible to move data (like cregens) vector from one to another without any mechanical implications.

I’d however argue, if cregen actually belongs to creature info. It is rather a property of an adventure map object, that it spawns a certain type of creature; not necessarily the other way around. Each creature generator has defined its spawned creature type but not all creature types have their spawning spots. It may be more clear, if we keep cregen data in a separate file.

By the way, please try to stick to out brace convention (that is giving each brace its own line). At least for the sake of style consistency.

cregen is used to convert dwelling into creature and vice versa. So it could belong to both.
I could add a dwelling property to each creatures, and add a dwelling vector to CCreatureHandler. Then populate cregen in CObjectHandler with the information from CCreatureHandler. Woudl that be ok ?

And sorry for the braces. It’s a style I’m not fond of. I’ll try to be more careful.

As I said, I somehow feel object handler to be a more natural place for cregen info (you can have creature without cregen, you can’t have cregen without creature), however I don’t particularly insist on keeping things as they are. Place the data where you want.

I advocate against duplicating the information. May it be in cre or obj handler but let it be kept in one place. Duplication can bring only trouble.

OK. I will make a separate config file.

I introduced a bug in rev 2339 that shows on some maps. For instance in Arrogance3 most of the castles are gone. The change is rather simple but I can’t find the issue. I believe there’s some c++ wizardry involved :slight_smile:

May be

is not equivalent to

Could you take a look ?

I already corrected that issue in r2356. I was also surprised and related that to your recent changes… but the fix is apparently unrelated. Frankly speaking I don’t know how that could’ve been working before.

That’s scary :mrgreen:

I went back and forth between r2338 and 2339. Former always worked and later was always broken. Acessing these CGDefInfo objects seem to have a side effect. operator overload ?

I’m done converting the various text files into json. I’ve left the following files:
fonts.txt --> nothing there is used anymore
settings.txt --> special file, should be use editable properly one day
threatlevel.txt --> belong to an i18n file; the format may not be json

See my change to CGameState.cpp in r2364. Some function tried to access a non existing file (a .txt file that was already json’d).

Indeed. So we have 2 functions that do the same thing but in different order: initVillagesCapitols and loadTownDInfos.