Build error on macOS: "source file is not valid UTF-8&q

Trying to build VCMI with the editor on macOS (10.12.5), and it fails with a bunch of “source file is not valid UTF-8” errors:

/usr/local/opt/qt/lib/QtWidgets.framework/QtWidgets:1:1: error: source file is not valid UTF-8

Full logs, including build configuration: … -make-L612

Is it building fine with “-DENABLE_LAUNCHER=0”?

Also what Qt version do you using? Our Travis CI build just using one from brew and it’s working fine: …

Happens with or without the launcher enabled; here’s with it set to OFF: … da0ae6f3b8

5.9.1, from Homebrew. Here’s how I’m trying to build VCMI: … la/vcmi.rb

Oh I see what’s wrong. There is “DENABLE_EDITOR=ON”. You should disable it because we don’t have C++ editor anyway and might be it’s time to purge it from our repository.

Our editor in Free Pascal and hosted separately:
No one tried to build it for Mac yet.

I think when you disable it everything will be built just fine, but in any case you can jump to our slack if you going to find some other problems:

PS: I purged editor from our repository so it’s will not confuse anyone.

Thank you! I’ll jump on Slack if I run into more issues.

Do you distribute the macOS DMGs anywhere, though? I see they’re built and uploaded during the CI but I only see the Windows package here:

EDIT: I see the Windows package is hosted on Dropbox but you can upload the binaries to GitHub as well, which might be more reliable.

Sadly dmg that built with CMake / CPack don’t include all dependencies needed and I not even sure if they work at all. In any case they uploaded here:

We’ll certainly upload something to github releases, but only when we sure they actually work.

Ah, makes sense. I tried building it that way (cmake -G Xcode etc.) and got a runtime crash that has something to do with Boost: … d65a655142

I just built it same way as our Travis build:

ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL"
brew doctor
brew install wget git boost smpeg2 innoextract freetype sdl2 sdl2_ttf sdl2_image qt5 ffmpeg
brew install cmake
brew install sdl2_mixer --with-smpeg2
sudo xcode-select --install
sudo xcode-select -s /Applications/
export CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH="/usr/local/opt/qt5:$CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH"
cd ~
mkdir vcmi
cd vcmi
git clone
mkdir sparkle && cd sparkle
tar -xf ../Sparkle-*.tar.bz2
sudo mv Sparkle.framework /Library/Frameworks/
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..
cd ..
xcodebuild -project osx/osx-vcmibuilder/vcmibuilder.xcodeproj/ -configuration Release CONFIGURATION_BUILD_DIR=..
cd build
make -j 8

# Then run it this way:
~/Library/Application Support/vcmi/game_data_prepared

It’s running fine as far as I see, but I have no idea if “vcmibuilder” work properly. Most likely we should just implement work with assets into our Qt launcher.