VCMI 0.75 released!

Now you make me curious about getting my hands on a W7. :slight_smile:

Though it’s strange… Are you saying you have a high resolution screen (1280x or higher), and yet the main window, supposed to be 800x600 is still taking most of the screen?

It is this.

img254.imageshack.us/img254/1576/1920x1200largefontdispl.th.jpg

Only the default size gives the correct size of VCMI window in Windows 7. I had it on the largest size for readability, but in W7 it seems to affect other things too, like certain windows. The strange thing is I have a similar setting in XP and it does not affect the size of the VCMI window on the screen.

Best regards,
Steven.

The latest release of SDL is quite old, so I don’t think it can properly deal with Windows 7. Since I recently switched to Windows 7 and have experience with Windows API I guess I could do something about it

The newest stable release of SDL (1.2.14) is quite new (October 19, 2009 - 22:24) and according to its changelog it’s 100% compatible with Windows 7, so probably we just need to replace the old version we currently use. The only problem with SDL is that it’s generally no longer in development (1.3 branch, which is developed, won’t be released soon).

I hadn’t noticed. For some reason I had the old 2007 SDL DLLs in the Heroes 3 folder, but built with the 1.2.14 ones. But for me the problem is still there even with the latest SDL so it doesn’t look like it’s been fixed. I wasn’t able to deal with it either by resizing the window to appropriate resolution programmatically.
It seems as though Windows 7 upscales everything, including pixel coordinates. It’s not just affecting dialog units.

EDIT: I’ve found a solution, an application that does not want Windows 7 to interfere with DPI upscaling can set itself as DPI aware. It worked for me when I tested with 800x600 and 1280x1024.

EDIT2: I stumbled upon a fix that can be used until next version. Right-click VCMI_client.exe, choose Properties and then under the Compatibility tab you can choose to disable DPI scaling.

I have completed the check of all Mantis reports marked as Resolved in 0.74x or 0.75. Most of them were confirmed as resolved in 0.75 and closed, a few were reopened because they weren’t (fully) fixed. I left the following in Resolved status, without closing (for now):

#132 - The resolution mentions a “quick & dirty fix” for it. Tow, I’m not sure if that means you’d like to come back on this one to “clean” the code. :question:

#178 - I wouldn’t know how to reproduce the situation of receiving Titan’s Lightning Bolt from a Scholar (no way to force it from MapEditor). If anyone has an idea, please share.

#261 - This was not reproducible on my machine in 0.74x either (I was getting a crash, but different). I almost closed it anyhow, but perhaps Steven could first double check on his machine if it’s indeed not reproducible anymore.

All other 0.74x reports in Resolved but not Closed, are so because they have been fixed after the 0.75 release. So I’ll wait for the next release to check them.

Just a few questions to ask:

• Is there any plans for a new release at 1st February?

• It looks that printing original game fonts is already supported and even used in some places. So maybe it’s time to make full support in-game? (as alternative to .ttf, left some config value to select fonts type)
    Original fonts fits heroes much better and this will remove all that bugs with not fitting text.

• While working on kingdom overview window I’ve added possibility to make it bigger\smaller for new resolutions. I’d wish to add it to a configs (7z-ped graphics is less then 50 kb in size so this shouldn’t increase size too much) but don’t know what config is most recent. The one from “new resolution” thread or something else?

I had very little time that month but I’ve just passed my exams and I’ll have practically whole February free.
Therefore next release will be postponed to the March 1st.

On the other hand, I’d like to make a dev release soon within several days.

Absolutely. Original fonts are fully handled and I think it should gradually replace current TTF fonts.
Possibility of choosing between different fonts is interesting but

1. There may be problem with positioning - TTF and OH3 fonts have slightly different sizes, so coordinates may need to be adjusted.
  2. TTF fonts fit worse and are less readable. I don’t see good reasons to using them if we can have original fonts.

However some simple selection mechanism (match original fonts and H3 ones into pairs and use appropriate depending on config file) shouldn’t be too troublesome to implement.

AFAIK the most recent is here: [forum.vcmi.eu/t/new-resolutions/227/16)

But Zamolxis knows best :slight_smile:

^ That is indeed the most recent link, where by the way I just updated that attachment because in the original archive there was a redundant file (AdvMap1.pcx). So if you downloaded the package already, just trash that file. :wink:

@Tow: Glad to hear you have passed all your exams. Hope everything went fine as well for TowDragon and the other devs who had exams this month. :slight_smile: Looking forward for a more active month on the VCMI front in February then. :wink:

@Zamolxis

I’ve passed all my exams too (getting highest possible grades :slight_smile: ). Now I return to work on VCMI (I’ve already fixed a few bugs in battles).

Thanks for answers.
I’ll replace ttf with original fonts for next release unless someone do this before me:)

I’ve made config for overview window but forum does not allow attachments >256 kb and archive is… 257 kb size.
I probably need to find some auto-generation. This images are just too similar:)
Uploading only changed config.txt + additional graphics.
OverviewConfig.7z (51.7 KB)

How will the use of the original fonts work with unicode? Fall back to TTF when a character can’t be found?

^Not sure about this one, I’m getting warning that not entire config was parsed. Both for it and SVN version.

Also, new resolutions are missing (such as 1366x768).

So it’s 1366? :slight_smile:

I was actually waiting for an answer from you on this in the New Resolutions thread, because Blake created it, but for a 1336x resolution (as per your post). And I was doubting it, because I haven’t heard of it (I knew about 1366x), but who knows - I didn’t want to change it, just in case you really have a desktop with a more rare resolution.

As for integrating it in the main package, I discussed once with Tow that we’d like to keep the main kit as small as possible. That means we’d like to keep in it only the most popular resolutions, and I think the rest should be separately downloadable. As I see 1366x768 got only 2 votes so far (4 others got more votes, and are not yet integrated), I’m not sure we should include it in the main release. For me the next candidate would be the next resolution that gathers 10 votes in that thread.

1366x768 is pretty standard in modern laptops. And I’m using this once as it’s much faster than my old PC, especially since MVS has awesome multicore support.

Anyway, I see no reason not to include the config since these few lines of text take pretty much no place, neither cause any inconveniences.

When I was talking about size, I was referring of course to the size of the .pcx files, not the .txt. :wink: But I’ll see about preparing the files for this resolution. Perhaps we should check if one of the others is actually not really used, to have it replaced.

And out of curiosity: what does MVS mean? :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe create pool somewhere “what resolution are you using”. Current pool does not include already present. There can be some already included but almost unused and some more popular but not included.
Zam, MVS = Microsoft Visual Studio

Mixing .ttf characters with .fnt is a bad idea. But you can easily switch to pure .ttf so this is not a problem. However config file may require some tweaking.

But all options are working fine, config seems to be fully correct.
There is also message
"Warning1: No building 23 in the castle 1"
but building 23 (one of the special buildings) is present only in 4 towns. Why there is only one such message?
Ah. Just one unused line in buildings config.

Actually web pages can automatically gather information about used resolution. We can relay on pages like this one store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/ instead of making a poll among few people.

Thanks for the link. Interesting… though in a way I wonder how relevant it is, as I guess it only records stats for the users accessing their site (or domain?).

Anyway, also in our case, it’s only partly relevant, because probably not all of us play in full screen mode. At least I almost never do (I play at 1440x900 on my 1680x1050 screen). I prefer windowed mode, to have immediate access to the desktop icons, some necessary for testing/reporting: screen capture application, web browser, WoG.

Going a bit back on topic, do you have an idea when will the next dev. version be released? If we want to add 1366x768 to the resolution pack, I need to do a bit of work (Blake’s settings & pcx files were for 1336x) so I’ll have to see if I have time for it (February it’s gonna be pretty busy for me, so I’ll barely have 1-2h/week time for VCMI).

I don’t think it differs significantly from stats of potential VCMI players.

Yes, I don’t play in full screen mode either. But certainly everybody would like to be able to play VCMI in their screen’s resolution. If anybody wants to play in windowed mode, they can pick any smaller resolution.