Heroes III HD Remake

Graphics from HD edition are x2 of h3 800x600 ones (and there are also x3 variants).

Forget about x3 files for now … and lets talk only about x2 ones… Shouldn’t it be quite easy to change even hard coded positioning to support files that are twice the size ? So it is going up from 800x600 to 1600x1200 in resolution.

I’m pretty sure there is some logic there :slight_smile: just that it really is “intuitive” only to coders of hd edition, probably. Here is a screenshot of file naming after unpacking hd game pak:

i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/ … 50-Now.png

The graphics are saved in dds format. This is how the files for creature animation look like while opening it up in GIMP with a plugin for dds:
i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/ … 20GIMP.png

File naming - these look more like file offsets. Are you sure that unpacker works correctly?

To make sure - what’s the size of archive and what is the name of last file (alphabetially) ? Convert file name from hexadecimal to decimal number and I suspect you will get number similar to file size.

Animation - you’re missing something. Check for any files that were not present in H3. There must be a file that describes the sprite sheet - positioning of all frames, what these frames represent, etc. It could be text file or some small binary. Or maybe even part of main data archive (if your unpacker fails to extract this metadata)

Well there is one file like that (added it as attachment)

I don’t think it is for that though (seems too short) However even if it is like that there are no good tools to make a new dds animation. The only way to edit an anim would be in a file like I posted.

As for filenames last file name is 09567193.dds while the sprite pack is 204 976 043 bajts . However the tool to extract the files from pack was probably a quick hack on a cmd tool someone made so I guess it is possible it doesn’t get the file names right
spriteFlagsInfo.txt (8.8 KB)

Hi, i really liked the Ubisofts HD version… is there an option for VCMI to support the HD assets? even when mixed low res and high res, still better… i play on ipad and the HD makes such a difference

not anytime soon, and even more unlikely with adding support for H3 HD data format so the user won’t have to transform files in one way or another