Secondary Skills Modding

I’ve just look into the json, but… that’s the power of modding! I hope we have opportunity to add new skills soon!

1. It will be a good idea to implement possibility to create sec. skills with only basic level, with only basic and advanced level, or with 4-5 levels (+expert, ultimate).

2. Make dependant sec. skills. For example, add section

“requiredSkill” : { “skill” :“skill.wisdom”, “subtype”:2} //requires wisdom expert level

It will only appear when hero has expert wisdom

1. make special (racial) sec. skills with “special”:true field.
    They will not appear anywhere and level up will only be given if already set to hero. To create faction-specific skills (for example, only for specific units of faction).

Fantastic ideas Macron1. That would solve the boredom after levelling 23+ heroes.
For example. Ultimate wisdom (wisdom level 4) that require expert fire magic would change name for ‘fire-wisdom’ (new icons needed) and grant additional bonuses (f.e. immunity for hostile fire magic). Such system could create many addidional leveling without adding new ones.

Yes, absolutely fantastic ideas. I like them very much.

The two additionally levels should be called “Master” and “Grandmaster”. There are icons needed then :slight_smile:

Skills that require other skills is a fantastic idea too. I’d suggest that these skills replace the required skills. This could result in very unique builds.

P.S. I’m currently working on some of the new skills suggested here. I just found it now, so i have chosen other names. Instead of breeding i chose f.ex. “nobility”. That is close to the concept of a governor in H4. I have currently major trouble with hero specialties though. But now since i’m retired (starting with today), i hope i’ll have more time for vcmi.

Well’ that would be a big change for sure.

Still, it would allow single perks like in Heroes 5 - for instance Arcane Intuitiion is a single skill replacing Eagle Eye with only one level, which makes it less of a waste.
Take a look: Skills - Heroes of Might and Magic 5

Well, this Eagle Eye is indeed the worst skill of H3. But i prefere the idea from the boost core mod: Replacing the bonuses with support bonuses for archery and scouting. What the mod unfortunately forgot is modifying all those heroes which have Eagle Eye specialty or start with Eagle Eye. I’m working on that too.

But that does not mean that a new skill “Arcane Intuition” is a bad idea :slight_smile:

Also, in H5 you can learn spells from creatures (neutral or even your own), which suddenly makes more sense.
But that’s another topic of a serious modification.

Another very interesting topic would be the resource based magic from H5 dwarfes.

Just an idea for those skills that need other skills as a prerequisite:
In original H3 it was already possible to have more than 8 skills. WoG exploited that. In original H3 they where simply not displayed. So if you gain one of these new skills, that will replace its prerequisites, why not simply move them to places beyond 8, so they are not displayed, but they are still present? This would eliminate much configuration for those new skills.

Just an idea :slight_smile:

Edit: To be more concrete, some examples.
Back in the times of WoG and erm scripting, i already did something like that. I added extra bonusses depending on a combination of skills. One of the most interesting such combinations was:

• Tactics + Logistics + Offense: Gives extra speed and attack for attackers melee troops. Calculation of bonus depends on sum of these 3 skills and the amount of used movement points, or, speaking technically, on the difference between the heroes maximum movement points and the remaining movement points.
  • Tactics + Logistics + Archery: Same as above, but this time for shooters.
  • Tactics + Logistics + Armorer: Gives extra defense for defenders troops (both melee and shooters). Bonus calculation depends on sum of these 3 skills and the amount of remaining movement points.

This is something vcmi currently not allows. The idea behind these extra bonuses was: For attacker, if he moves far and fast, he “overruns” hin enemy. And for defender: Having enough time (aka movement points) enables you to “dig in”, thus increasing defense.
Another addition to that might be: Limit these bonuses to battles on land. And replace logistics with navigation to get similar extra bonuses on water. Just these few combinations would add many variations to gameplay.

Another idea: In my mod i have currently added a new skill “Whip”. I had the idea while playing the Pavillon mod. Effect is it increases your troopy speed by 2/4/6 while reducing their morale by 1/2/3. Good skill for any evil factions. I reduced the effect to all troops without MIND_IMMUNITY though for not overpowering the necros.
What i would like as addition for it would be a whip animation at start of battle. Easiest way would be a “spell”. This spell would not be obtainable, would be cast as OPENING_BATTLE_SPELL by this skill, and should do exactly nothing. I don’t know if this would be possible.
Maybe this could also be added to an artifact (a whip obviously).