1) First of all some example:
2d weapons, armors, rings, books, runes:
- yes, they only 60x60, but it’s Public Domain (source).
Yes, they does not looks like homm3 native, but they already done and you can use it!
2) Many open source game already created open source content:
Unknown Horizons, for example done 3d model of tents:
CC-BY-SA 3.0 (source)
And it looks like homm3 refugee camp:
So, a lot of music, 2d and 3d content be found in open source game repos:
Unknown Horizons art repo
Flare art src
Batttle for Wesnoth (forest+jungle example , dungeon example)
3) A lot of music, 2d and some 3d content can be found on OpenGameArt:
sky 2d (CC-BY 3.0)
mutant 3d (GPL 2.0/GPL 3.0/CC-BY-SA 3.0) - change the skin to gray and it will be zombie
Elven Archer (CC-BY-SA 3.0)
Mage (CC-BY-SA 3.0) - few changes and it’s Vampire Lord
4) A lot of 3d content can be found on BlendSwap:
Free account has 100 Mb per week limit, but most of content has CC-BY or CC0 license:
just horse (CC0)
Mechanical Dragon (CC-BY)
Dragon rig and textures (CC-BY)
Monster Galera Man (CC-BY)
The Cataphract rig (CC-BY) - check video inside
Amazing Black Gragon can move in Blenger Game Engine (CC-BY) - check video inside
5)So, if somebody really want to create full amount of playable data content, we need:
a)Create separate branch (repo or like something like that) for data source.
For example, Unknown Horizons has 6 repos:
unknown-horizons - official code repository
translations - translation export repository
gfx - All graphics sources are stored here
sounds - All sound sources are stored here (speech, effects)
misc - A collection of manuals, presentation etc
music - All music sources are stored here
I think trunk for engine + 1 branch/repo for gfx/sounds/music will be enough.
b) Find tools for repack data files:
I’m at home on Unubtu and can’t test it right now, but some of this tools works fine on Windows:
c)Create huge wiki section about structures of data files, formats, FULL list of needed art, sound (and oth.) and some art/sound tutorials.
- some words about *.def, *.bik, *.smk files. What is it and how to create, edit, pack…
- FULL list of needed art, sound (and oth.): every single *.mp3, *.def, *.bik, *.smk should be described, create/found similar (with open source license) and placed to branch/repo. I’d like to mark with different colors like (well done, need to fix/update/change, missing).
Here I have question for the developers: May be for the 1st time will be enough to create some minimum of data like in homm3 demo?? Is it possible to do without breaking compatibility with homm3 wog??
Something like few sound, 1 simple map, 1 full town, few additional enemy creatures.
- some art/sound tutorials like in Battle for Wesnoth: they have Artwork development forum (like our “Content creation” forum), “Create” wiki page (creating maps, scenarios, campaigns, units, art, music, translations …) and “Create Art” wiki page with a lot of complete with tutorials. I found many open source 3d models in *.blend format, so I would suggest to make it default and add blender tutorial to Create Art wiki page. And I like GIMP, so… i would prefer *.xcf for 2d art source.
So, what do you think about this idea?
Unfortunately, I’m not an artist and 3d animator, but i can start from wiki: create minimum and FULL list of needed art and music. Try to find some more images/models, add them to wiki, fill create art tutorial.