Forum index VCMI Project - Heroes 3: WoG recreated
Forum of the project aiming to recreate best turn-based strategy ever!

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  StatisticsStatistics
RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  AlbumAlbum  DownloadDownload

Previous topic :: Next topic
Welcome to our board! A few words about VCMI Project.
gotar

Posted: 2013-06-13, 16:36   

Tow dragon wrote:
Sthu.Deus, VCMI is under GPL v2+ license since a few years ago.

Why do you even bother about some GNU/fascist? Nothing except time waste ever comes from talking to such morons.

Tow dragon 
VCMI Programmer

Posted: 2013-06-13, 18:53   

gotar wrote:
Why do you even bother about some GNU/fascist? Nothing except time waste ever comes from talking to such morons.

I could have deleted his posts but I don't like doing it. Well, maybe you're right.

Sthu.Deus
Posted: 2013-06-14, 09:01   

Hey you, awesome guys, keeping your wording, If you would spend a second to see the posting addressed you would know what it refered to and why. In case it harsh, please next time ponder on what you gonna do BEFORE you do. Or just be satisfied w/ others' reflections on your doing, opinion, etc.

I'm very, very glad that finally people helped you to change your -- seems to me -- unwise yet skillful mind.
So, i will gladly participate in whatever i can basicaly testing and sharing ideas on project improvements.

As i said only together we all will make the game great!

gotar

Posted: 2013-06-14, 10:21   

Ok, lets take a minute of mercy and wisdom...

Sthu.Deus wrote:
Hey you, awesome guys, keeping your wording, If you would spend a second to see the posting addressed you would know what it refered to and why.

If you have had spend a second on VCMI, you wouldn't wrote such fanatic piece of lies. Now when you know, you were wrong, you should simply say "I'm sorry, please forgive my ignorance", not defending your lost position. But it's common for most religious believers to keep following their insane and ridiculous statements for a century after they're proven wrong.

Shall I quote? The words 'distrust', 'boycott', 'slave software', 'people of the Earth', 'selfmining little group', 'stupid fanatic coders' and the most accurate:

Quote:
VCMI is just another project that today is and tomorrow abandoned. While the free project will live forever as new generaions of Earth will carry it on. It the destiny: look on Linux for example.
[...]
Because just idiots! Let's forsake about 'em.
[...]
I here also came thinking it is free software, now i leave the dreamers.

So, FYI: Linux is written by pragmatic engineers, not devoted fanatics. There is one GNU/religion guru, RMS, who wrote his operating system without editor (emacs), and since 20 years tries to write real GNU/OS, named Hurd, but he miserably fails. In fact, most of GNU/software is either abandoned or shoddy, unless it was enforced by some external, usually commercial help with paid programmers - like Linux itself, gcc (egcs was not GNU), glibc (libc).

I'm not saying GNU was irrevelant - it gave some base ideas, but then it turned out that there are better ways to develop software than following strictly GPL (especially v3). In fact most of the most valuable OSS projects are not GPL, like PostgreSQL which is undoubtely superior to MySQL in every single database application (well, unless you application is related to randomness or chaos).

Quote:
In case it harsh, please next time ponder on what you gonna do BEFORE you do. Or just be satisfied w/ others' reflections on your doing, opinion, etc.

Are you serious? You have absolutely no right to insult anyone for decisions about their own code, doesn't matter if it was eventually opened, unless you have paid or contributed in any way (money, hardware, infrastructure, services, coding, artwork, cooking, babysitting).

Quote:
So, i will gladly participate in whatever i can basicaly testing and sharing ideas on project improvements.

Start with mantis and debugger.

Quote:
As i said only together we all will make the game great!

It's funny, that people without any usable skills (except playing games) think, that "they all together" make something. Show us please, what have you accomplished till now? A single contribution to any open source project, you must have done many of them if you dare to speak such words, don't you?

Zamolxis 

Posted: 2013-06-14, 10:50   

@gotar:

Thanks for the support. But I'd rather see this discussion cool down, instead of hijacking the topic.

@Sthu.Deus:

Following your last post, we're happy you're happy. And we're looking forward to see you join the testing efforts to help catch bugs and behaviors which are not according to the original H3 (just read the guidelines before to avoid creating duplicate/redundant reports).

However please refrain from using any further insults on this board. I understand the open source aspect was a touchy subject for you, but now that it's clarified, I hope it ends here. Any disagreements you may have in the future with certain coding/creative decisions of the devs, I expect you to tackle that with constructive, civilized arguments and no personal attacks or anything of the kind.

For the record, the devs refused any kind of donations from the very beginning, when the project was still closed source (you'll find threads on this board on this topic). So nobody's in for the money here. On the contrary, they've already dedicated about 7 years of their lives to this and all the while paying for the servers of this board and others related from their own pocket. As Tow said himself years ago, the initial decision was not final, just not a priority at the time. Nobody's born with all the answers, so they had to investigate and weigh the pluses and minuses, before taking a decision which could have potentially be wrong. Hate campaigns never help. "Oh, this guy called me 'stupid' and 'idiot', so he must be right, so maybe I should go open source" - it doesn't work like this.

This was to give you a better picture of how things stand. Don't hate someone just because of a different opinion. Maybe they are open for discussion. Give it a try. Give them a chance to lay down their arguments and they'll also listen to you. Once you go "open" is not really a way back, so logically starting "closed" is sometimes the cautious approach until you've made your mind about it. That's it. No more discussions on this topic after this post please. The subject is outdated and the final decision is what you wanted, so any more open source crusading or insults will be considered trolling, and I'll delete all posts from the beginning of the discussion.

Thanks for understanding,
Zam
- If you feel the devs should prioritize a certain feature implementation, please add it to the Missing features & functionalities thread.
- Enjoy! :)

The use of the EDIT button is strongly encouraged on the forum. ;-)

Reply to topic