VCMI 0.95 released!

Hello,
we are happy to release VCMI 0.95. The main highlight of this feature is support for campaigns. This was pretty much the last big feature missing from single-player mode game. It is still not fully complete — it misses some minor features — but for the first time campaigns are oficially supported and it is possible to play through them.

Many other engine parts received various improvements, including the AI. The 0.95 release brings also several new possibilities for modders, see the wiki page for details.

Beginning with this release, VCMI on Windows stores user settings, saved games and logs in the “vcmi” folder in the user’s home directory (typically C:\Users\Username\vcmi on recent Windows releases).

Many reported bugs have are fixed, see the bugtracker changelog for the list.

Check for the full information about which spells, artifacts and campaign features are supported.

[size=117]Download Links:[/size]

Recently, the new Android port project has been published. It seems to be of comparable quality to our official releases, though it is not the part of project and official distribution. Please see the forum thread of the port for more information.

Installation:
Extract the package into your main Heroes folder. If you have older version of VCMI, delete it first.
VCMI works with SoD, WoG 3.58f and ERA installations. We recommend using English version, though VCMI should also work with other language versions. If you want to make your H3 installation English, extract this package into Data/ subfolder.

Save format has been changed, savegames from previous versions won’t work with 0.95.

VCMI supports 800x600, 1024x600, 1024x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1366x768, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1080 and 1920x1080 screen resolutions. To switch default resolution in system settings window click “HIGH” button and select resolution (available only in game). As for now custom resolution is only applied when the map is started.

Acknowledgements:
Many thanks for all testers and developers who contributed to this build.

For the general information about our project look here. Our project isn’t really playable now, but it gives you an idea of progress we have made so far. We’re hoping that you’ll like it.

For bug reports, we have deployed separate bugtracker. Please report bugs using this form. Check this page for the list of known bugs and details.

We hope you’ll help us develop the project — details are available here. VCMI is an open source project licensed under GNU GPL 2.0 or higher. Our SVN repository with all the sources is available here.
You can look for help in building and developing VCMI sources in the development board.

CHANGELOG
0.94 -> 0.95 (Mar 01 2014)
GENERAL:

• Components of combined artifacts will now display info about entire set.
  • Implements level limit
  • Added WoG creature abilities by Kuririn
  • Implemented a confirmation dialog when pressing Alt + F4 to quit the game
  • Added precompiled header compilation for CMake (can be enabled per flag)
  • VCMI will detect changes in text files using crc-32 checksum
  • Basic support for unicode. Internally vcmi always uses utf-8
  • (linux) Launcher will be available as “VCMI” menu entry from system menu/launcher
  • (linux) Added a SIGSEV violation handler to vcmiserver executable for logging stacktrace (for convenience)

ADVENTURE AI:
More info at wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=Adventure_AI

• AI will use fuzzy logic to compare and choose multiple possible subgoals.
  • AI will now use SectorMap to find a way to guarded / covered objects.
  • Significantly improved exploration algorithm.
  • Locked heroes now try to decompose their goals exhaustively.
  • Fixed (common) issue when AI found neutral stacks infinitely strong.
  • Improvements for army exchange criteria.
  • GatherArmy may include building dwellings in town (experimental).
  • AI should now conquer map more agressively and much faster
  • Fuzzy rules will be printed out at map launch (if AI log is enabled)

CAMPAIGNS:

• Implemented move heroes to next scenario
  • Support for non-standard victory conditions for H3 campaigns
  • Campaigns use window with bonus & scenario selection than scenario information window from normal maps
  • Implemented hero recreate handling (e.g. Xeron will be recreated on AB campaign)
  • Moved place bonus hero before normal random hero and starting hero placement -> same behaviour as in OH3
  • Moved placing campaign heroes before random object generation -> same behaviour as in OH3

TOWNS:

• Extended building dependencies support

MODS:

Full changelog is available here.

VCMI Team

Also, from now on we’re hoping to release development versions every month.

It’s main milestone, I think. Congratulations!

PS Is random map generator planned for 0.96?

RPM packages are updated!

At first glance, all is well. Except for one - very long turn. It’s no missing.

I hope the ability to install VCMI outside of the Heroes folder will be in 0.96.

I believe the ability to copy your Heroes folder is enough?

Some months ago beegee declared to integrate these changes into RMG, but it’s not done yet. Until then we won’t move forward.

[quote=“Warmonger”]

It’s good enough for a temporary workaround solution; not for a definitive approach. Between having an ini file with a line for heroes3path and having gratuitous copies of an entire game, there is a huge difference in elegance and usability.

Heroes 3 complete is over 976 megs by the way. I know hard drives are much bigger nowadays, but still. Copying nearly one gigabyte of data over and over each time there’s a new version of VCMI to install is not optimal.

I’ve tested the new version and it’s really great and stable for me! However, for me portability is a big concern. I very often switch computers and carry my stuff with me on a usb stick. With the new approach of storing everything in the user folder I cannot do that anymore. Is there or will there be a setting to enable VCMI to write to it’s own folder again?

Thanks in advance

Turnam, actually you can. Copy all H3 data to C:\Users…\vcmi
VCMI reads H3 data from 2 directories:

1. VCMI install dir
  2. User directory

Mariamario, no such setting at the moment. User directory MUST be different from data directory - this part won’t change. But we may implement some kind of override so you’ll be able to specify user data directory. Command line switch perhaps?

That would be great if it was done!

As I remember, in Windows Junction Points links can be used to leave directory in vcmi directory, and keep only link on it in Users…

@Warmonger: seems like AI still sometimes can do endless turn, see ticket 1747

Glad people are keeping the game alive :slight_smile:

Please,if you love heroes3 truely, revive it on android.It’s a milestone in the history of the games. You will be the true heroes.
it takes a long time for the AI’s action per round in the version of android. (1 minutes +) Please pay a specil attention for it , thank you !

it takes a long time for the AI’s action per round in the version of android. (1 minutes +) Please pay a specil attention for it , thank you !

Wog doesnt work on android
All it does is add the wog o0tions button but you cant click it

This button is just a bitmap and it ndicates that WoG indeed DOES work in your version. Just not all the WoG options are supported. You have to manually edit delautMod…json file to enable WoG features.

Just a fan. I have been playing it for the last 8+ years from the HD heroes app and the hope of a improved interface/AI/WOG support and more it amazing to me. Keep up the good work I can’t wait to see more.

I haven’t been here in a long time. Why did you decide to save files in C:\users ?