Forum index VCMI Project - Heroes 3: WoG recreated
Forum of the project aiming to recreate best turn-based strategy ever!

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  StatisticsStatistics
RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  AlbumAlbum  DownloadDownload

Previous topic :: Next topic
Moved by: Warmonger
2014-02-16, 21:56
How to help VCMI
Warmonger 
VCMI programmer

Posted: 2014-02-16, 21:52   How to help VCMI

Hello adventurer! Our project is open for anyone who wants to join.
In this thread you can learn what kind of help we need.

C++ programmers - never enough

Build VCMI on your system following Wiki Guidelines.
Submit your changes for review using Git pull request.

Our current tasks are located in this thread.
Our general TODO contains all planned features.

Of course new features are also possible.

Still, if you are not sure where to start, try to fix some bugs

Non-programmers

- Testers. People who are willing to test features exhaustively, provide detailed bug reports and re-check fixed issues. Our bugtracker is located here.

- Modders. Since VCMI supports mods, it is the very hot topic. We need cooperating modders to manage mods, describe them, test them, provide feedback to new users. Also, many people are interested in modding tutorials and documentation. These could be resources of great use.
We also have modding FAQ for general info and tips.

- Documentation writers. Our code and architecture is poorly documented and it takes time to provide useful texts. If you are smart enough to write something and keep in touch with developers, you are mostly welcome.

- PR person responsible to contact fans, announce news, answer questions and post cool stuff over internet.

- Moderators for forum and bugtracker. Forum - to manage threads and highlit the most useful content. For bugtracker - to link bugs, describe them, close outdated issues etc.

Artists

Artists are mostly needed for new (and improved) menu graphics. Check TODO list for our plans. Also, if you see something that is missing or doesn't look good enough, feel free to create it.
Warmonger, you are the best!
Last edited by Warmonger on 2014-05-03, 14:27; edited 4 times in total  

Warmonger 
VCMI programmer

Posted: 2014-02-16, 21:55   

Let me know what you think about it - I'm going to announce it on other boards soon.
Last edited by Warmonger on 2014-03-03, 19:31; edited 1 time in total  

Tow 
Project Lead
VCMI Programmer

Posted: 2014-02-17, 00:28   

@Warmonger — well done. :)

Yet, I'd wait with making big announcements till 0.95 release. What sense does have testing the game when AI crashes after loading game? I hope to add shared_ptr support to serializer in the upcoming week — this should allow proper reproducing of reported issues.

Drake 

Posted: 2014-08-20, 01:30   

I'm a great writer, I'd love to help where I can. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to grammar and documentation :) If you need any help, please let me know

Warmonger 
VCMI programmer

Posted: 2014-08-22, 05:12   

Great. In what particular area of game are you interested? Code, features, mod guidelines, something else?

Drake 

Posted: 2014-08-22, 16:11   

Warmonger wrote:
Great. In what particular area of game are you interested? Code, features, mod guidelines, something else?

I don't know much about the code, unfortunately, but I'm particularly interested in every aspect of VCMI and Heroes 3 altogether. I can provide grammar corrections, documentation, ideas, etc. If you can tell me where and how I can help, I'm more than willing

Warmonger 
VCMI programmer

Posted: 2014-08-22, 16:17   

Well yes, but to provide documentation, you need to know what you're talking about. That's the trick ;)

Certainly it would be helpful to improve the Wiki by providing info about project progress and provide answers to most important questions (FAQ?). Something that users could read instead of asking trivial questions over and over again, as they do about Android.

Drake 

Posted: 2014-08-22, 18:28   

Ah that's understandable lol, sorry. I should affiliate myself more with VCMI before I attempt to delve into something like this.

AlienX 

Posted: 2014-08-25, 22:01   

I think FAQ is great thing to have. With necessary first question: WTF VCMI IS SLOW ON MY ANDROID LOL

Reply to topic