VCMI 0.9 Release!

Hello,
we are proudly releasing VCMI 0.9. It is a first build from the 0.9x series and important milestone for the project. As more and more features are implemented, VCMI slowly starts being playable. Our work gradually shifts from implementing only H3 features to filling the gaps and providing totally new features.

This build features several important new features coming beyond H3 that we implemented. The first one is the new filesystem handler. It is now possible to deploy VCMI onto various types of installation (check the file config/filesystem.json to get a taste). Thanks to that, VCMI is now able to work with ERA as well as with WoG. All mods rely on the new filesystem, please check the New Main Menu graphics or HotA Creatures mods to see how are they organized.

The second important novelty is a mechanism allowing adding new creatures into the game. It still should be treated as provisional one, although it seems to be fully functional. Please check the Warmonger’s mod that adds HotA creature into VCMI. We also moved even more hardcoded properties to the text config files, so it is possible to modify them with a mere text editor.

Eventually there comes an effort to provide a new and better battle AI. It is still in a very early phase and not as stable as the current AI but it will eventually replace it. The new battle AI is called unsurprisingly “BattleAI”, while the old one is “StupidAI”. Both AIs are shipped in this release and it is possible to select, which one will be used by typing “setBattleAI ” into VCMI console. By the default StupidAI, as the more stable one, is used. More AI improvement should be expected in the coming releases.

There are also other new features, like the new quest window, please check the changelog below. We also did a number of bugfixes, including fixing previously implemented parts of Campaign support that got broken. It is now possible to start and to a certain degree play a Campaign — though there are still a number of missing features. We hope to implement them in the further releases.

For the bugreports that we resolved in this release, please check the bugtracker changelog.

Check items implementation status for the full information about which map objects, town structures, skills, spells, artifacts, creature abilities and victory conditions are supported.

[size=117]Download Links:[/size]

Linux packages:
Please visit this wiki page for installation instructions for Linux.

Installation:
Extract the package into your main Heroes folder. If you have older version of VCMI, you have to overwrite it.
WoG 3.58f or ERA is required. We recommend using English version, though VCMI should also work with other language versions. If you want to make your H3 installation English, extract this package into Data/ subfolder.

Save format has been changed, savegames from previous versions won’t work with 0.9.

VCMI supports 800x600, 1024x600, 1024x768, 1280x800, 1280x960, 1280x1024, 1366x768, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1080 and 1920x1080 screen resolutions. To switch default resolution in system settings window click “HIGH” button and select resolution (available only in game). As for now custom resolution is only applied when the map is started. Since this build main menu correctly handles high resolutions.

Since VCMI 0.85 a new creature card is used. If you don’t like it, the old one is still here. In the System Options window you can select which creature window you’d like to use (the “Classic creature window” check-box).

Acknowledgements:
Many thanks for all testers and developers who contributed to this build.

For the general information about our project look here. Our project isn’t really playable now, but it gives you an idea of progress we have made so far. We’re hoping that you’ll like it.

Since VCMI 0.74 we have deployed separate bugtracker. Please report bugs using this form. Check this page for list of known bugs and details.

We hope you’ll help us develop the project - details are available here. VCMI is an open source project licensed on GNU GPL 2.0 or higher. Our SVN repository with all the sources is available here.
You can look for help in building and developing VCMI sources in the development board.

CHANGELOG
0.89 -> 0.9 (Oct 01 2012)
GENERAL:

• Provisional support creature-adding mods
  • New filesystem allowing easier resource adding/replacing
  • Reorganized package for better compatibility with HotA and not affecting the original game
  • Moved many hard-coded settings into text config files
  • Commander level-up dialog
  • New Quest Log window
  • Fixed a number of bugs in campaigns, support for starting hero selection bonus.

BATTLES

• New graphics for Stack Queue
  • Death Stare works identically to H3
  • No explosion when catapult fails to damage the wall
  • Fixed crash when attacking stack dies before counterattack
  • Fixed crash when attacking stack dies in the Moat just before the attack
  • Fixed Orb of Inhibition and Recanter’s Cloak (they were incorrectly implemented)
  • Fleeing hero won’t lose artifacts.
  • Spellbook won’t be captured.

ADVENTURE AI

• support for quests (Seer Huts, Quest Guardians, and so)
  • AI will now wander with all the heroes that have spare movement points. It should prevent stalling.
  • AI will now understand threat of Abandoned Mine.
  • AI can now exchange armies between heroes. By default, it will pass army to main hero.
  • Fixed strange case when AI found allied town extremely dangerous
  • Fixed crash when AI tried to “revisit” a Boat
  • Fixed crash when hero assigned to goal was lost when attempting realizing it
  • Fixed a possible freeze when exchanging resources at marketplace

BATTLE AI

• It is possible to select a battle AI module used by VCMI by typing into the console "setBattleAI ". The names of avaialble modules are “StupidAI” and “BattleAI”. BattleAI may be a little smarter but less stable. By the default, StupidAI will be used, as in previous releases.
  • New battle AI module: “BattleAI” that is smarter and capable of casting some offensive and enchantment spells

Full changelog is available here.

VCMI Team

Keep up the good work! Every time I see another update, I squeak out of joy.

I just want to say great work! I still follow the progress of the project and every once in a while, I stop by to check on the project. I have to say you have brought it from a very unstable, barely working game to an almost finished and polished product. Way to go! Keep up the good work!

Could you put this link in the news. I looked for 0.9 source tarball for about 10 minutes. It should be more visible.

kastagir, you’re right.

Tow, can you do this? This is source package I made for 0.9, (almost) identical to 0.9 tag. Upload to vcmi.eu if you wish just like .deb packages.

I have updated the announcement, thanks for suggestion! :slight_smile:

I also added RPMs for Fedora built by Beegee.

In the past days Ubuntu 12.10 has been released . Would it be possible to make a new *deb package for it?

vmonkey,
Of course. Will try to make them during this week.

Compiled packages for Ubuntu 12.10:
vcmi_0.90~quantal1_amd64.deb
vcmi_0.90~quantal1_i386.deb

I’m not well acquainted with this website at all, but I’m more than aware of the VCMI project and all of the effort that’s going into it.

Is there a link to donate to this project?

[forum.vcmi.eu/t/donations/207/1)

great work… i must appreciate you struggle and hardworking…
keep it up…
:wink: :slight_smile: