Welcome to our board! A few words about VCMI Project

Yes, it’ll be possible. Without 256 creatures limit :slight_smile:
And in further future we’ll add support for modpacks, so it’ll be possible to add/modify creatures without modifying .exe file (and have several mods installed at the same time without any conflicts).

There will be a limit of the number of creatures ?

No, it’ll be possible to add any number of creatures.

Sounds really nice :smiley:

:slight_smile:
But there still a LOT of work to do (we need at least an year more).
And we also need your help in testing. We have to know if it’s working on different configurations, what are the bugs and so on.
We rely on you, people :slight_smile:

This is amazing!!! Viva Wog!!! :mrgreen:

Great work!

Look at the img here - this is screen shot of early Heroes 3 alfa version:

img86.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot3bigko9.jpg

mirror

feb26c.imghost.us/mRZH.jpg

Look at the bright game colors or the fonts or the world map border without north-south-east-west letters.
Can you include something from there? :unamused:

At the moment VCMI supports only TTF fonts and we can easily change them (but those don’t seem to be TTF or even available), change of graphics isn’t a problem. If we had new graphics with appropriate palettes, we could include them.

Hallo I have offer. 8 Players in game is too small, because There are 9 factions in game now and may be minimum 3 factions will be added in future (Bastion, Kremlin, Pirates town). Therefore I offer if it is possible make 16 players.

It’s a good idea, but adding 8 additional factions would make it necessary to change many graphics. When VCMI reaches the stage at which additional features may be added, it will be surely considered.

Would it run under wine in *nix systems as easily as original heroes?
Would it be open-source?

We are going to compile it for Linux or even Mac, so it won’t even require wine. We haven’t yet decided if it will be open-source or not.

Very interesting. And having a native Linux version is even more interesting.

Any numbers of creatures is nice, too. There should be some configuration interface for this allows creation of incompatible games :slight_smile:

A comparable nice thing would be other types of towns. And then some minor realignements. Configurable, of course. Some of the H4 ideas where quite good, so this new version could be a real big improvement over the original game and over WoG, too.

From time to time i do some erm scripting. The second peasant script was from me. The whole scripting should be redone, though. It was done too fast. So there are lots of functions with similar or nearly equal functionality. It would be good to first create some library script with functions that could be reused by virtually any script you might think of. If you need help about that, and as far as i have time, i would like to add this :slight_smile:

Regards
Siegfried

At the moment VCMI has very little support for scripts. But we are going to implement possibility to switch between different mods on one installation :). ERM scripts are also going to be supported, but we prefer Lua as scripting language as it is much more readable. Unfortunately, both thing wouldn’t happen before VCMI 0.6 or even 0.7 (so you have to wait at least a month).

Hi,

no problem with waiting. The whole game is old enough, so if it takes a few years more before it is really usable doesn’t really matter :slight_smile:

And you’re right: LUA is more readable. Maybe i should learn it :slight_smile:

Are there any new spells? If not can I make my own? What tools would I need? Mod looks great btw!

In VCMI you cannot even cast an existing spell.

You will be able to make your own spell in the future, when mod support is done.

At the moment you can prepare a graphics for your spell (look for graphics of existing spells to compare), an animation of it (if it’s a battle spell) or a sound (wav file). But it won’t be used for months.

What mod? VCMI is an engine, not mod.

Just stumbled across all this. Pretty neat what you guys are doing here. Couple questions, with your project is 32-bit color suported? And can you change the resolution? My issue is i want to run the game in windowed mode on a 2nd monitor, but i would like the window to be the size of the screen. To do that I have to run my primary monitor in 16-bit which i do not want to do.

VCMI can be run in 32-bit depth screen mode (it’s even recommended), but resoultion is a much more complicated issue. Running in resolution other than 800x600 (or in windowed mode) isn’t planned to be supported while it would be necessary to create a lot of new graphics and code.

I see, very nice. Is this possible with your current version, and if so how do i enabled 32-bit?