Welcome to our board! A few words about VCMI Project

IMHO putting the mod “New Upgrades” in the Core is much better idea.

Not really, some of them (especially those from MM6) don’t have some parts of animation.

Well… I don’t know what that means, but it doesn’t sound good… so I’m sorry to hear it. :confused: [size=75]:p[/size]

Seriously now, I guess those are ideas to be discussed at a later stage. As I understand, at this point we’re only testing to help the programmers build the game with all its H3C functionalities. Only once that’s done, they’ll start with the mods (WoG mainly, but prolly other creative ideas - like the ones listed by you above - will be considered as well). :wink:

Hi antipaladin!

You’ll need to replace it in the .lod archive. It can be done quite easily with such programs as SimpleLod (attached to this post).
If you want to replace .def only for VCMI you can simply put it in the /Sprites subfolder (files there are treated as they were in the h3sprite.lod, overwriting original ones if thay have same name).

Your concepts will be possible to implement with script languages and modification system but it’s distant future. Now, as Zamolxis wrote, we’re focused on recreating H3 features.
SimpleLod.7z (62.4 KB)

@Tow
First actualy replacing is not enought,simplelod is also not enought,what is needed is to change the exe. for that we needcoders: for 3rdf upgrade we can use pretty much,and thre is some needed making,but its okay,as i have a prime team.
I’ve also relised an alpha,but this alpha simply changes few untis,and necro commander as an eye candy,so i wont be blaimed to be doing nothing.
Also,i came to you asking if you have Town Tool,as i thought you did,from the screens of older VCMI.
also i was wondering…why would you want h3 working in CMD?

only MM6,but i know a person who cann fix it and add the animes himself,and he did so,and it working.

We will implement in VCMI solutions that will allow replacing/adding creatures without modifying executable. One of our main goals is make game more mod-friendly.

We have tools showed on our screenshots but I don’t think that anyone else could make any use of them. They’re not for creating towns, they are useful for recreating. :wink:

This is a provisional solution making testing and debugging more convenient.

This is great news, as a few times I had the need of adding a certain feature or element in the game (for whatever reason: improve balance, or just my own gaming experience). But my technical knowledge is just not good enough to easily handle the modding possibilities the original H3 had.

just had a look at it and it’s really promising. great work guys! i had lost any hope of further development for this old time favorite.

I’d really like to see the initiative thing implemented in heroes 3. i like the way it works in h5 and have been thinking about it for a long time before that but i didn’t have the knowledge to put it into a mod or script nor did i find anyone that could. do you think it may be possible with your executable?

Ohh my god. I’ve just read what heroes 5 does with combat. I didn’t play heroes 5 because of it’s requirements, but now i’ve read what is homm5 like. And it is very sympathic to me. Especially the square grids in batleground.

On the other side, this project’s main goal is to rewrite the homm3 engine. So if we want to put some things in it, it is only possible after the finish of this project IMHO. But Tow will give the final word. Anyway, i really want to see a heroes 5 with heroes 3 graphics :slight_smile:

Actually newest development version of VCMI has stack queue similar to this implemented in Heroes 5, but the sequence of creatures is calculated in the same way as in Heroes III. We are not going to change it but we’ll think about making it easily moddable. Unfortunately we haven’t even started writing mod support and we won’t be doing it soon.

How about a checklist of what needs to be done to get at least H3Wog functionality? What is missing right now (can’t really try it, no idea where my homm cds are :()

It’d be still a very long list. I think we should make such list when VCMI is quite playable. ATM you cannot even save your game, win a scenario or try to play with others.

will this work on win98 se?

If we had a developer using win98, VCMI would run on this platform. I think that win98 is not very popular among C++ developers so probably VCMI will never support it.

You guys rock!! My entire family and relatives play WoG … we are at least 10 people with different backgrounds aged 7-67. When we meet for family get-togethers, there is always a WoG game or two running :open_mouth: … we look very much forward to help out testing your excellent work!! Way to go!!

WoG fans in Denmark … :exclamation:

Thanks to every member of the team, thanks to all the tester.

I downloaded VCMI0.64 and test in my computer. It works well, although it is still not perfect.

I wonder, when will VCMI be playable.

We are all faithful fans of h3 and wog. I’d like to spread the news to more fans in China.

I think VCMI will be playable in the Fall 2009 or even later. We are working on the new version which will bring many significant improvements (ie. battle AI) but a lot of things remain to be done.

PS: thanks for your appreciation :).

will be avaiable linux build. i think make etc or package like .deb (not wine work but more like without wine) or optimalizate vcmi-gecko:)

This looks like a really great project. It will be really great to be able to play on a map with 12 different alignments (and I really hope one of those will be an alignment of Sea creatures :p). I’m not sure if I’ll have time to help with the testing in the near future, but good luck with the project!

now thats super awesome project! :sunglasses: i wish luck for u guys, seems u are doing great job and on half way to finish it :wink:

Great job guys. All you need now is a little awareness on net.
I bet there are tons of old players who will love to test this.
Long live heroes 3.