VCMI Forum Statistics

Yes, I’ve seen above what it means. :wink: However I was wondering how do you pronounce it (particularly the “y”)… :slight_smile:

And for the other one, I was wondering what is the literal translation of “uruchomienia”. Meaning, if it really means “run game” for example, which part of the word is “run” and which is “game”. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s just about running or starting. ‘Uruchom’ means literally run (launch). The rest is just deadly grammar.
In Polish there is no distinction between ‘start’ and ‘start-up’ - and you won’t tell me there’s actual difference in English.

Well, I’m sure tstandley or Steven, as native English speakers, could easily find some differences between the two, but I see what you mean. Thanks for the explanation! :wink:

Zamolxis, we pronounce “y” like “i” in “it”. Maybe our “y” is little harder vowel then that “i”. (Hm… I don’t know if i’m telling comprehensibly :wink: )

But probably I can’t tell you how we pronounce whole word “błędy” :slight_smile:
“łę” is the biggest problem :wink: “ł” is “w” in English, but “ę”… hm…

Oh, maybe I know! “Błędy” should sound like “B”+“when”+d+our “y” (“i” from “it”). Try to say :smiley:

I think I get it - “ę” must be some sort of nasal vowel then (?) and similarly “ą” as well. But correct me if I’m wrong. Anyway, thanks a lot for the explanation! :slight_smile: Languages are like my 3rd hobby after games & movies. :stuck_out_tongue:

ę is nose e
ą is nose o

i think y is like y in hydro* (if I pronounce hydro* properly)
:smiley:

Well, firstly “Problemy instalacji i uruchomienia” is not correct title. It means “Problems of installation and starting-up” which suggests that the installation (not we) has some problems.
It should be rather “Problemy z instalacją i uruchomieniem” (Problems with installation and starting-up).
“Uruchomienia” is a genitive form of “uruchomienie” (starting-up) which is deverbal noun (gerund) from “uruchomić” verb (to start-up). “Uruchomieniem” is a intrumental case of “uruchomienie”.
(Alternative, maybe even better, is the imperfective form: “uruchamianiem” (n. instr.) < “uruchamianie” (ger.) < “uruchamiać” (v. inf.))

The basic particle here is “ruch” (movement). Its derivates are adjective “ruchomy” (movable) and verb “uruchomić” (make something to be movable, put into motion > start-up).

Start-up has AFAIK narrower meaning, it’s equivalent to out “uruchomić”. It means more or less “to put some mechanism into motion”, “to make something start working”. (it’s probably not a correct English but I hope you’ll catch the idea :slight_smile: )
We can “uruchomić” a game, a car or some new service (when a company prepared and started offering it).

But “start” can mean also “get down to do sth”, “begin” - Polish counterpart can be “zacząć”.
We have also verb derived from “start”: “startować”. It is applied mostly to start of plane or rocket or sport competitions.

AFAIK it is not. English pronunciation of hydro- is [haɪdrə-] (we would transcribe it as “hajdro-”).
Our Y vowel (IPA ɨ]) is rather not used in English. Wikipedia says it’s the close central unrounded vowel :slight_smile:

If you are curious how various phrases sound in Polish, you may try the IVONA speech synthetizer. Works quite decent and can be used from your browser :slight_smile:

sorry for hydro stuff
its borrowed from greek and I thought it’s every pronounced the same
… which isn’t true

although I found recently that polish “y” is generally slavic sound (the middle and east europe there is many slavian ie. polish russia slovakia etc.) but it’s used in a few non slavic languages ie. hungarian

and i hope hydro in greek has the same sound for y as us (PL), am I wrong?

:o what a topic

I think “y” is not that common in slavic languages, cause Czech people pronounce it more like i, they do even transcribe Polish *ski surnames to *sky, i.e. Kovalsky etc.

IVONA synthetizer is indeed best to Zamolxis to answer all his questions without need to tell whole story :smiley: But don’t forget to copy all chars to textbox, i.e. “błędy” instead of “bledy”.

Thanks for the link. I was actually quite impressed with its quality (I couldn’t speak for the Polish part - which I’m sure it’s as good - but English & Romanian were quite realistic).

I must also admit I like how Polish sounds (especially with Maja :stuck_out_tongue: ). If I’d had a bit more free time, I’d use it for more VCMI testing. But if I’d had a lot more free time, I’d learn some new languages, and Polish would most probably be on my list. :wink:

Thanks a lot Tow for the detailed explanations, but particularly for the link to Ivona. And thanks to the others as well for the info on meanings & pronunciations. :wink:

OFFTOP
Zalmoxis, maybe learn Japanese? During watching Anime :sunglasses:

[size=84]@majaczek: One day, maybe. :slight_smile: However for now I seem to be attracted only by indo-european languages. So my interests go as far as Sanskrit/Hindi, but for some reason Chinese/Japanese didn’t attract me yet (not sure if because of their difficulty, or just a matter of taste).[/size]

On-topic (kinda): Not really from the Statistics page, but from the statistics we have at the bottom of the forum index page:

254 Guests??? 300 total users reported at some point earlier? And there are still almost 100 as I post this (slowly going down).

Not sure if anyone noticed that, but we rarely have more than 10 at a given moment, while today we’ve had hundreds for hours. This is quite out of the ordinary, as I’ve been visiting this place almost daily for the past year, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen more than 20 at a time. So unless there is an issue with the counters, we either suddenly had 20 times more visitors today than like, ever, or could it be some form of spam bot attempt to infiltrate the forum?

:question:

Maybe. You are probably right. But there can be some more visits from WoH page because Maniek added link to this page in its Shoutbox
h3.ligaheroes.pl/
But 300 is really a lot of. On WoH page there are daily about more then 100.
So I was written somewhere about this, that it is really important to aim VCMI into H3 SoD players not only WoG. For me both are really important.

EDIT:
BTW, if you are interest in some competition in org H3 you can join the International League created by guys from Poland which started from first of October and the are also really good players from other countries.
Link for English speaking
legendyheroes.pl/home-index-language-en.html

Have fun!

Thanks for the link. Quite interesting (I registered, though no idea if I’ll manage to participate in the near future).

I must say, if I look at the amount (and quality) of Polish sites/projects dedicated to HoMM, I’m quite impressed. The game must be really loved over there. I know it was very popular in Romania as well (almost everyone I know plays/played it, or at least has heard of it) but I haven’t seen anything similar over there. As for Belgium where I live now… what can I say… I’m shocked (not to say depressed) with how many ppl of my age haven’t even heard of the game (let alone be interested to ever join me for a MP game or anything). But yeah, a general kudos to you guys for appreciating and keeping such a great game alive. :slight_smile:

Invasion! Right now there are also said to be 42 guests. Hopefully they’re none of bots, but intrigued Chinese players for example.

According to google analytics the source of this invasion is this site: wykop.pl/link/246565/nowy-si … cencja-gpl (it’s polish version of digg.com).

As to forum stats, in browsers charts many icons are multiplied, dispalying both regular image and image.png icon, which is confusing (yet totally irrelevant).

Both the OS & Browser charts have some icons doubled. The .png’s are for stats since we moved to the new .eu domain, the rest are the old ones. I think I mentioned this already in the “Forum Issues” thread, but perhaps it’s either not easy to merge/delete, or Tow simply didn’t get the time to look into that (it’s not really a priority anyway) :wink:

Should be fixed now. :slight_smile:

Yep. And Safari is finally recognized as well. :wink: