VCMI 0.55 Released!

Yes, we are coding in C++ using SDL.

It looks for the same error that Verity had.
Put vcmi.eu/PLAYERS.PAL file into Data/Folder and if the VCMI still crashes paste log (it should go at least a little further).

Thank you. It’s Ok, it works.

It seems to me that the profect will be great. I hope it will have great response and thus it will be followed by many mods and patches (eg improving graphics, resolutions etc).

BTW, are you planning to make it WOG-independant? I think of WOG as not a very successfull addon (it’s very chaotic and often not thought out), so it’d be great if it needed SoD only.

I think it kept interest in HOMM3 when, AFAIK, there wasn’t a lot of it around. And useful additions were made to Heroes3 that wouldn’t have been made if it was left purely to the HOMM owners.

This new project, VCMI, has great potential and I will be earnestly supporting it.

Best regards,
Steven.

VCMI is based on WoG, uses its graphics and has its features. Probably it would be possible to prepare special version of VCMI without WoG features, but why should we prepare version that gives less possibilities? If you think that WoG is too chaotic and not thought out I don’t know if VCMI, aiming to introduce more possibilities into H3, is a project for you (but we still encourage you to try it! :slight_smile: ). Moreover, all WoG features will remain in VCMI optional and it’ll be possible to play game only with old SoD rules.
The only drawback may be requiring installation of WoG, it isn’t really convenient. However, when VCMI will be playable we may prepare special installation package which will include both WoG and VCMI (of course if the WoG Team won’t have anything against).

Actually new mod system meant to be introduced to VCMI in the future would make it far less chaotic. Mod in this meaning is a set of predefined rules and additional graphics, which could be well balanced and quite convenient to use. I really hope it’ll be implemented.

WOW.
I dont want to demand from you an open source game but I only want to ask about 0.55 compiled for Linux (and Mac). Its SDL based so game only need recompile on other platforms.

I really want to help with testing :slight_smile:

Ahh i bym zapomniał. Naprawdę bardzo ale to bardzo mi zależy na na natywnym VCMI dla Linuksa. W ostateczności mogę pomóc w kompilacji ale kto da źródła zupełnie nie znajomej osobie :stuck_out_tongue:

Recompiling VCMI for Linux is not so simple since we don’t write it in something like Eclipse (which is a portable IDE). But I’m sure it will come sooner or later.

That’s what I’d like VCMI to be. I like to have full control of what’s in the game without any unneeded options. WoG is simply too much. If I could just add the stuff I want and nothing more it’d make everything easier. Plus, I’m rather looking forward to some engine and mechanics improvements that to new creatures and castles. That is why I’d like VCMI to be WoG independant (althoug it should be compatibile with it).

Well the WoG features would be optional. I’m not sure about running without WoG installed though.

Best regards,
Steven.

It isn’t planned now. Maybe it’ll be done when VCMI is playable, now VCMI bases on WoG. It isn’t really so hard to install the WoG and you can have this play H3:SoD. The only inconvenience are several altered graphics but AFAIR WoG doesn’t affect original gameplay in any other way.

Yes, I agree with this. :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Steven.

Can I help you with porting game to linux or other *nix platform?

Firstly, it would take a lot of time and make many pieces of code uglier (ie. lack of support for strongly typed enumerstors in gcc). I’m not sure also if it’s necessary ATM. But if you are sure that you have sufficient skills and a few days to do it, I can consider your proposition.

On next weekend I can try to build VCMI on Linux, It’s very possible to build it quickly if there aren’t too much of platform-depended code and SDL is used principally

//eagle

We will give you our code but firsty you have to tell us a few words about yourself (if you don’t want to do it here you can send me PM). You have to create an account here: assembla.com/ . Then I’ll send you by e-mail further instructions (don’t forget to tell me your e-mail and your account’s name).

Never mind my previous posts. I did not know that there was such a thing as WOG. I was trying to install with basic heroes.