1440x900 resolution

Zamolxis: forum.vcmi.eu/t/hero-placeholder/34/1 … f75806d2e4

Not 100% done yet, but maybe it helps :>

@mots: yes, I remember that thread now. Being 4 months old, I kinda forgot about it (and especially the resolution discussed). If I would have known from the beginning, I would have picked another resolution of course. But I was already like 70% done and very motivated to finish it before the end of the day so it was too late to back down. Plus I really wanted this resolution as it fits best on my wide-screen monitor.

Sorry for overlapping with your effort. I guess best thing for the future is to have a separate thread here in the Development section for each custom resolution developed, with the resolution value in the Topic title. Like this we’ll only need to throw an eye at the list of dev. topics to know if sb else is already busy with it.

As for your version of 1440x900, I guess both can be included in the package (e.g.: mine could have “-vcmi” and yours “-alt.resource” or sth in their name).

Well done! :slight_smile:
The one thing I’d consider, is adding mithril to resource bar. The WoG way of checking mithril stockiple (r-click on Kingdom button) is not convenient.
(Now it’s not possible to force VCMI to display amount of mithril in resourcebar but I can add such option easily, it’s matter of trival moving one hard-coded constant to the settings file)

It was an engine bug, it’s now fixed in SVN. Sorry for trouble.

Great, I would be very grateful :slight_smile:

I thought about it (I think I even asked for it once), but I’m now wondering how exactly should it be implemented, considering that we need to keep also the standard game? Two ZResBar files for each resolution (sth like ZResBar5.pcx and ZResBar5m.pcx), and then somehow programmed to pick one or the other depending on the game version we’re playing?

Also, perhaps we can discuss this here:

• Where do we want to put the Mithril? Before or after Gold?
  • If we rearrange the resource bar, would it make sense (and worth the effort) to switch the place of Ore and Mercury? I always wondered if there was some logic behind placing Mercury there and not together with the other precious resources. :question:

Glad to hear it was not a big deal to fix it. Thx. :slight_smile:

Done! :slight_smile:

I’m attaching it here if anyone is interested to have it before the next dev version. I’ve made a correction on the latest 1280x960 (Next Hero button was displayed twice) and also made minor updates to 1440x900 (few pixels edited on the VCMI ‘logo’ + buttons on the side panel moved 1 pixel to the left).

UPDATE: I’ve made further adjustments to the files in the archive. The new package can be found as part of the new archive prepared for the 0.74 release in THIS TOPIC (dedicated for further discussions regarding new resolutions)
ResPack.7z (179 KB)

IMO

• Mithril should be between gems and gold. It is important to leave gold as a first from the right side.
  • Mercury and Ore shouldn’t be switched. Maybe it is a little bit strange but Heroes fans used to it and shouldn’t be forced to change their habits. And second thing that some original heroes files use this order i.e. random map generator templates.

True. I didn’t think of the order coded in some original game files, which may be used by VCMI, w/o being part of the VCMI recoded files. However, based on the same logic, shouldn’t we have then an issue with placing Mithril between Gems and Gold (even though I agree the best place for it may indeed be before Gold)?

so maybe mithril resbox should be last as mithril is the last resource? even with divider between classic resources and mithril resource box, huh?
anyway I think it’s good to place it last, and placing it before gold isn’t the worst

If it’s placed last, we may indeed need some sort of divider. It probably won’t look nice to gold as just another resource between two others.

I don’t know if there is a point in offering alternative resbar without mithril but with more unused space. Will be there people annoyed by fouling original game with the additional resource?
Moreover, it would difficult to engine to decide which graphic should be used (or troublesome for users if they would have to decide).

Easiest to implement will be placing it after the gold, as it’s eight resource in game mechanics. But it’s not a real difficulty, if you decide to put it somewhere else, I’ll add appropriate support on the engine side. Do as you wish. :slight_smile:

I would left them as is. Firstly, current order follows the internal game mechanics order. Secondly, I think most of people get accustomed to it. Resources was such arranged IIRC since HMM1.

I’m not sure about that. I’m mainly thinking of the people preferring to play H3 campaigns w/o any WoG options. It’s hard to estimate whether going through a long campaign with a redundant resource box on the bar will start to bother after some point. And in general, I guess there’ll always be that group of H3 fans (be that only 10-20% of the total, I don’t know), who are “hardcore” fans of NWC’s H3 only and were never attracted to WoG. One of them particularly showed his interest in this project at Celestial Heavens because of the high resolutions and some other features, but he also mentioned somewhere else that he very much disliked the hardcoded interface changes from WoG. And I remember in the past also other community members having similar opinions (how many of them still are, I don’t know…)

But if it’s difficult to have 2 different resource bars (and we won’t get much complains), I guess we can have it. However what do we do about the 800x600 resolution (kinda hard to squeeze Mithril in there)?

Ah… tradition! Well, I can’t fight that. :slight_smile:

Maybe it is good to have Zresbar#.pcx as base resbar (without mithril) and to have mithril and other additions from WoG VCMI and mods on additional bar let’s say Zaddbar#.pcx?
then the addbar could be disabled without disabling resbar (there’s only some unused space left then). So we get possibility to please both groups at once?
also maybe we want for each resolution two versions of resbar - one in oldie style and one in wog style?

There are many people also in Polish heroes’ community who hates WoG. I think it is important to make VCMI is such a way that one button after VCMI start can disable all WoG options an leave only original SoD HoMM functionality. I mean about WoG options which change the way of game-play i.e. units gaining exp, commanders and so on, but not necessary things which help during game such a one button for changing the army, for changing artifacts, buying creatures etc.
And also I do not think that additional resource in resource bar can cause that these kind of players won’t want to use VCMI.

Perhaps not a bad idea (again, if not difficult to implement). We can have the oldie version w/o Mithril and the new one with Mithril… Though, for consistency sake, someone would have to go through all resolutions to make the changes, which may be quite time consuming.

@resbars oldie+wog
only thing is needed on graphics side is tu copy icons from SoD resbar and bind them in places on new resbars and save with another name

@mithril on resbar
I have got in mind to save the wog resbar as is but to place another bar on left of it
the addbar could be disabled ie. in campaigns because those rarely uses some things
in future addbar would have more items
I think it’s good to have less versions of resbar than we have now (to have about 3sizes of resbar for reuse), and leave place on the right for new things as addbar and probably other bars
so I vote for independence of the resbar and the new bar with mithril and other 'news’
It would be good to get common sizes of resbar to good plan the place (a small-as-original middle and big one - nobody would use milions of resource and trilions of gold so no sense for bigger) all binded to left side
if we do we can do copies of them converted to h3 style, so vcmi could only switch them when redraw

UPDATE: When building the ResPack.7z above, I noticed that my 1440x900 had the game buttons on the right hand side panel 1 pixel too much to the right. This has been now corrected also in the 1440x900-vcmi.zip package in the original post.

However, while editing the Settings.txt file, I noticed a small possible mistake for all other resolutions, but I’d need somebody else to confirm it (and it’s not just me missing sth): the AdvMap is given as starting from position x=7 y=6. Shouldn’t it be y=7? :question:

If I’m right, then we’re only losing 1 row of pixels from the AdvMap, which wouldn’t be much. But still, that doesn’t mean we can’t have it perfect. :slight_smile: So once a dev (or sb trusting his technical skills more than me) confirms my suspicion, I can correct them all (including heights) and then update the ResPack.7z above.

Now VCMI uses WoG graphics, starting with main menu bg picture, so the presence mithril in the resbar won’t be so big difference. We can try to work now on solution allowing players to choose between “original” and new resource bars (if they are both present for used resolution graphics set) but I think it’s not worth of effort now, when it will be just one of many WoG graphics.

Eventually we want to provide “classic H3” mode which will be based on original, non-WoG interface. I think then double resourcebar issue should be solved - as a part of bigger solution.

For now I think the bar with mithril is acceptable, especially since project is still not playable and releases are for testing and presenting progress.
But if you think that it will be more trouble (controversy) than it’s worth, current project can be used as well.

Huh… indeed, it seems it should. Feel free to correct it. You’ll have then also to decrement AdvMap height, so the lower part of advmap interface won’t be overdrawn.

Done. ResPack.7z has been updated in my post above, so you may want to re-download it.

I decrementing the heights. But I also noticed the widths needed adjustments. See below the updated values (incremented/decremented) for the AdvMap area:

When I have some time, I can take a look at the other coordinates to see if any other may need minor adjustments. Hopefully I’ll be done checking them all before 0.74 [size=84](I know it’s a matter of half an hour maybe, but lately even that’s becoming a luxury for me:P)

And I guess Mithril will have to wait for 0.75 (or later). I’m quite busy till mid October so I won’t have time for it (if somebody else has, they’re most welcome:). If I manage to make some time for VCMI this weekend, I’m more in the mood of some testing. :stuck_out_tongue: Btw, for when is the next dev version (forum release) scheduled? :->[/size]

After updating with first file, it looks somewhat corrupted.

Apologies for that. The Settings.txt was pointing to a different resource bar.

I’ve corrected it now. Thanks. :->

[quote=“Zamolxis”]

[quote=“Tow”]

[size=75]Huh… indeed, it seems it should. Feel free to correct it. You’ll have then also to decrement AdvMap height, so the lower part of advmap interface won’t be overdrawn.[/size]

[size=75]Done. ResPack.7z has been updated in my post above[/size], so you may want to re-download it.
I decrementing the heights. But I also noticed the widths needed adjustments. See below the updated values (incremented/decremented) for the AdvMap area:

[quote]
800x600
x=7 y=6 width=593 height=547
x=7 y=7[/quote]

width=594 height=546
1024x600
x=7 y=6 width=817 height=547
x=7 y=7 width=818 height=546
1024x768
x=7 y=6 width=817 height=715
x=7 y=7 width=818 height=714
1280x960
x=7 y=6 width=1073 height=907
x=7 y=7 width=1074 height=906
1440x900
x=7 y=7 width=1234 height=846
x=7 y=7 width=1234 height=846
1600x1200
x=7 y=6 width=1395 height=1147
x=7 y=7 width=1394 height=1146

[size=75]When I have some time, I can take a look at the other coordinates to see if any other may need minor adjustments. Hopefully I’ll be done checking them all before 0.74 [size=10](I know it’s a matter of half an hour maybe, but lately even that’s becoming a luxury for me:P)[/size][/size]

UPDATE:

I finished checking all other coordinates. For 1440x960 I still had to adjust the HeroList and InfoBox with 1 pixel. More changes were necessary for the other resolutions. The new files can be found as part of the new archive prepared for the 0.74 release in THIS TOPIC.

We can continue using this thread however if anyone has alternative solutions for using the space available by the redundant hero slots or unused button area.[/quote]