Main bug thread

Bug 1 actually has been mentioned in changelog for 0.62b: “fixed crashbug with battles on swamps and rough terrain”. :->
Ant there is 0.62c version released 30 min. ago :slight_smile:

Oops… gotta pay more attention. Heading to 0.62c (man… and I had such a list written down to report - not sure if I should hope they’re all fixed in 0.62c) :smiley:

EDIT:
Hehe… just as i thought, these were among others on my list:

• bug with pathfinder
  • events won’t be shown and won’t block movement
  • casualties among hero army and neutral creatures are saved
  • it’s possible to build lighthouse
  • defeated hero is removed

I’ll double check if a certain bug is still reproducible, and then I’ll post everything remaining from my list in the 0.62c thread. :slight_smile:

whenever i try to start vcmi i get this message:

G:\spilltesting\Heroes of Might and Magic III Complete>VCMI_server.exe
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is in
correct. Please see the application event log for more detail.

im running a fresh h3wog 3,58f + script update, but it still wont work, what could the problem be?
p.s i had it up and running when it was at version 0.55

Vista 64bit

Two questions:

1. Are you sure you have run VCMI through VCMI_client.exe?
  2. Did you install this : microsoft.com/downloads/deta … laylang=en ? (it’s 32 bit version, don’t try to look for 64 bit version as it won’t work with VCMI).

the answer to both your questions are yes. reinstalled just to be sure but still the same

So it is probably a problem with operating system. No VCMI devs have Vista, so I don’t know when it will be solved.

okay, that would explain why i could use it before and not now. looks like ill have to boot into linux and use wine then hehe

Unfortunately AFAIK VCMI doesn’t work on Linux + wine either :(.

Are you planning to port VCMI to linux some day? That would be pretty cool and you would also gain a comunity, as linux gaming is not very big and every game is a precious jewel to us. You could even gain a few developers (I would volunteer if only I knew programming well enough - I know a lot, but I have no experience)

Yeah noticed… it tries to detach a process that it isnt attached to

Yes, we are going to release Linux version of VCMI but I don’t know when. There will be some problems with it such as video playing (we have an application that plays about a half of original Heroes III videos but it uses one of Heroes III dlls, which probably couldn’t be executed on Linux) but most features should work.

why dont you just use wine instead? it must be easier than changing the video player
if you need any help with stability and other bug tracking in linux let me know =)

Instead of what? Video player in VCMI is hardly implemented (just general structure). We haven’t yet started to look for a solution for the problem of video player on Linux.

instead of making a conversion of VCMI to be used on linux

You could probably use winelib for that, and make it an optional build depency

We have some progress in porting VCMI to Linux so I think it’s not necessary to make it work with wine. When we decide that it’d be good to provide Linux version, we will release native binaries.

Winelib eases porting win32 applications to Linux when you have it’s sources. The problem is that we need a dll we don’t have sources of. Video player works because somebody guessed how to use that dll to play videos - so we need to have a way of running win32 dll on Linux without porting.

I thought of doing an “inventory” of all bugs reported in previous releases, to check if any of them has ‘come back’. Naturally I started with this thread, and it’s this post that caught my attention:

Just to make sure: are there (should there) be any sounds in VCMI already? As I haven’t noticed any (except for the “click” when we select menu sections). Or was that referring only to VCMI not being able to start on PC’s which don’t have the possibility of playing audio?

Yes, it’s the onyl sound you should hear as for now.

Hi,

i’m currently testing various campaigns with vcmi on linux (xubuntu). It works so far. I have some towns enabled. Some others or maybe some town combinations make the game freeze though. Must investigate more.

But i stumbled upon a very funny bug. In some scenarios you are supposed to carry 8 heroes from previous map. So f.ex. the third map in the “long live the queen” campaign. I had only 6 heroes. 2 where “stolen”. Moreover, for this scenario you are offered an artifact for start. I did not get it. Interestingly during the game i found both: There was an invisible, not selectable not playable hero which whom i could meet. This hero had the artifact.

I tried similar things with other campaigns, and it seems you can not carry over more than 6 heroes. Is this intentional?

Another bug:
I had a situation, where at the start of the battle i had a stack of hell hydras (2-hex) at the same place (or mostly at the same place) as the commander. Now first turn was for the hydra. And the hydra tried to shoot, what made the game crash.
This does not happen if the commander is at another place. Only if both share a hex.