Development build notice

I dontt have launcher build, so I cantt provide release build.

Hi, do You still want to check the newest dev build made by MinGW? I just built one…

Sure, just need Launcher for now :slight_smile:

Ok then, so here goes the Launcher.
VCMI_launcher.zip (161 KB)

Kantor, collecting build from various sources is not a good idea. For example if you have compiled Launcher with gcc 4.8 while AVS compiled client with 4.7 (and provided libstdc++ from 4.7) Launcher may not work.

Why I proposed MinGW build is because I know that Mixaill uses CMake to build vcmi. And Cmake is capable of automatic packaging of all required files instead of doing that manually.

I guess I’ll send him a PM to get his opinion on this topic.

If WoG can’t be updated with current Launcher, we may need to have another build anyway.

BTW, Lancher has its own icon which doesn’t look like VCMI Client.

Ivan, I guess You’re right, but I also used CMake to build it, exactly as Mixaill described it on wiki page.

I also noticed it, but have no idea what may be wrong here, unless I’m doing something wrong…

So it looks that we have two persons who can run MinGW builds - got reply from Mixaill:

Right now CMake-built Launcher uses same icon as client. When I created Launcher I just reused existing icon to make it recognizable in OS shell (aka Start menu on Win) - when player types “vcmi” or “heroes” he will see VCMI shield instead of icon with no visible connection to HoMM.

Don’t know what should we do with it. I’d rather keep things as it or combine these two icons in one, e.g. shield + small box-like icon in foreground.

Well, Launcher from Kantor doesn’t work for me as it is.
Maybe it’s better to use my version for 0.96b.

Ivan, is it likely to fix WoG quikcly? Does it need changes in application?

And that is why it is not a good idea to combine executables from various sources. MinGW-only build should not have such problem (or even better - package generated by CPack)

One obvious problem is that mod archives should contain directory with name of mod. Bad archive:

WoG.zip/
    Data/
    Sprites/
    Maps/

Good archive:

WoG.zip/
    WoG/
        Data/
        Sprites/
        Maps/

This should fix that “corrupted archive” message. But there may be other issues - I need to recheck this. And figure out why Russian version gets enabled by default despite having “keepDisabled” flag set.

I’d like to release 0.96c soon, even tommorow. Please finalize your branches and tell me about things that need to be included in a package.

Okay, now I have no idea which files should be included in Mods/ directory and which should not. 0.96c may be wrong.

I would like to release development build somewhere between Christmas and new year.

• AVS refactored whole spell system, I think it’s ready for merge but breaks savegame format
  • A number of significant bugs were fixed in AI
  • Still looking forward to fix for adventure map objects: bugs.vcmi.eu/view.php?id=1912
  • I think we should introduce policy of committing savegame-breaking changes only before release, preferably once per full version.

Overall, it could be really nice bugfix release.

I think it’s high time to release new dev build. Unless there are an objections, I’m going to prepare Windows package as soon as I have time.

VCMI 0.98 is planned for 1st April.

I think we need at least some delay. I’m really want to test @AVS spells first as well as make sure there is no crashes remain in my code. Sadly I didn’t had access to my PC yesterday so can only do that today. Can you please wait for a bit?

I’ll post there again once done testing.

PS: I’ll start tests today so one day delay should be enough. :wink:

UPD: Found at least some issues with subterranean gate. Will try to solve them fast…

what will the new release contain?

As always - everything listed in changelog and bugfixes.

Okey. When will vcmi become playable and not crash alot?

So I think I tested everything and fixed two most important bugs that I had thoughts on before.
It’s should be fine to make new development build now.

Since there was a number of significant bugfixes since 0.98, I would like to release patch 0.98b on 1st May.