Development version 0.97c

which git commit was released as 0.97c? I cannot see a commit message or tag indicating this.

You post there make me think that we need to enable SDL2 for debian build rules. Is it fine for debian builds?

To figure out whether or not problems arise with the upcoming release is exactly why I wanted to know the exact commit :slight_smile:

SDL2 has been packaged for a long time (since 2012) - do you see any possible problems upfront?

Last revision for 0.97c was github.com/vcmi/vcmi/commit/a1d ā€¦ 3b1d22242f

Minor releases are not tagged, there are meant for internal usage and testing. Which doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t be good :wink:

No I doubt there can be any problems, but decide to ask you as months ago when I asked Ivan why deb build have SDL1 used he said there may be reason related to Debian packages.

Anyway we donā€™t really support SDL1 as there several issues with fading so I doubt there will be worse problems than that. If you think itā€™s okay then we may change debian rules:
github.com/vcmi/vcmi/blob/develop/debian/rules

SDL1 in debian rules is only for support some old distributions. Ask @Ivan for more information.

For the record, 0.97c builds fine in Debian. I was able to drop all four patches (as they were applied by you) and now the only difference between vcmi in Debian and yours is the default for autoCheckRepositories which is set to false in Debian because of privacy reasons. Thanks!

Yes. The only reason why it was disabled is because some distros (Ubuntu or Debian) at some point had somewhat broken SDL - missing libsdl2-ttf to be precise. Now according to their repositories everything is OK - Ubuntu LTS and later have all required packages & Debian jessie/sid have them as well.

josch, good to hear that :slight_smile:
One note on patches - Iā€™d prefer to avoid distro-specific patches if possible. Auto-check patch is reasonable but othervice - accepting patch into our repo is a better option. Donā€™t hesitate to ask if you want to change something in vcmi code.

FYI I found the cause of the bug and now Iā€™m trying to find a solution. Itā€™s pretty hard to get into terrain view pattern code, there should definitely be some sort of documentation :wink:

How do I open Dmp files in Windows? I get crashes

.dmp files are for Visual Studio. Unfortunatelly to use them you need Program Debug Database (.pdb) files associated with this exact build and I donā€™t bother about them annymore - neither use them. Unless anybody requests it, you can call .dmp obsolete feature.

This is also the position of Debian. Distro specific patches should be avoided if possible and only used if upstream absolutely refuses implementing a feature that is required by Debian policy or agreed to be necessary by Debian maintainers. Should any other issue come up, I will certainly file a pull request for them in the same way as I did for the last ones. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Ah, because when I try VCMI in Win 10, latest build, it crashes before 3DO screen comes up. The build before that, it worked perfect.

Win 10 is still beta, VCMI team will not work out on bugs, that possibly will be corrected by MS itself to release.

Understandable, Iā€™ll just play VCMI on Win8.1 in the meantime.

Just to be sure try to disable intro video.
Itā€™s caused startup problems in some cases for me.

That didnā€™t work for me.

I fixed a lot ā€œno pattern detectedā€ warnings, still there are few remaining. Stay tuned!

Ooh, thatā€™s great! :mrgreen:

Drum roll, I fixed the bug :smiley: I generated several times a random map with underground without any error. This one was really hard!

Itā€™s not too late for next release of VCMI! Have fun!