Horn of the Abyss

In dwellings there are strings “guards”:true
It leads to unguarded dwellings in my test mod.
In my test mod I replaced it with
"guards" :
{ “amount” : 16, “type” : “abodeDruid” }
],
for example,
and now guards work.

Should you not tag the new version of the mod as incompatible with old ‘cove’? Now I have both of them installed, which makes 2 separate cove town avaible in single player scenario settings :slight_smile:

I also noticed some bugs:

1. Right after downloading ‘hota’ mod you cannot immediately expand the submod list (the arrow is missing). You have to restart the launcher. It would also be nice to add ability to simply double-click to expand the tree as this does not work.
  2. Why do I have to ‘cove’ submods’ (screen)? :slight_smile:

Btw., I guess I should update my mod (Tarnum pt2), therefore I have a question, how do I make it compatible with a submod? In WIKI there is only this (main mod as I assume?):

// List of mods that are required to run this one
"depends" :

"baseMod"
],

Finally, a question - does the new version of mod mean that in the future all the features from hota will greadually be added to this mod (objects, maps, other towns etc.)? Just curious :slight_smile:

Thanks for report, will fix all of these soon.

One of these was supposed to be new towns for map from HotA (village->fort->citadel->castle->capitol chain). Probably messed up something with release package - it was OK before.

For submods format is .. So what you need is this:

"depends" : 

"hota.cove" 
 ],

Yes. Features ported from HotA will be added to this mod. But I have no intention on copying HotA 1:1. Some examples:

• Graphical fixes for h3 - won’t be ported. At least by me - I don’t want to distribute half of H3 graphics from vcmi.eu
  • Map objects - likely to be possible in 0.97 but quite useless without working RMG or editor. I will port them once RMG will be more-less stable.
  • Maps/campaigns. Almost impossible to port without converting to some kind of VCMI format. And for that we need our own editor first. So this will take quite a while.

By this do you mean new versions of ie. new Hydra Pond and Efreeti map objects, castle screen fixes/changes etc.?

Would it not just be easier in the future to make VCMI simply HOTA compatible and configurable by JSON files instead of extracting and repacking graphics? In the end it is one of the best things that happend to Heroes 3 in a last couple of years :slight_smile:

I’ve re-uploaded mod on repo although bug with not visible submods will have to wait - it needs fix in the launcher. And since I renamed the mod I guess I should also rename this topic

I haven’t looked on Hydra/Efreeti changes but yeah - things like castle screen fixes. They also have quite a lot of similar fixes for Conflux.

This is not as easy as it looks like. For example they’ve added new frames in H3 files like CrPtSmall. And wog also did that. So there is no way to make both wog and hota work at once. So one of these mods should be repacked for vcmi.
Considering that I have automated conversion updating data with new release takes ~5-10 minutes so this is not a problem.

And even if we’ll do this - there are two ways to make this work:
a) distribute full HotA releases from vcmi.eu. Which contains half of H3 data. Not the best solution for us.
b) distribute only config files and ask players to install HotA manually. Not the best solution for players. And won’t work with our repository that supposed to have mods working as it.

Meh, I just thought that would be easier, but if there is a better method I will certainly not argue :slight_smile:

Well, if I have time maybe I will make something like this one day then + some tweaks/changes in original H3 that I think would be a nice addition :slight_smile:

Moved some posts into a separate topic. Ivan.
forum.vcmi.eu/viewtopic.php?t=935

Using latest nightly build, but this has been appearing since 0.96. When trying to build Citadel in Cove, game crashes with report in terminal:

Resource with name SPRITES/HOTA/CITADEL and type ANIMATION wasn't found.

Yeah and also

Cannot load game SAVES/AUTOSAVE_5. Error: Resource with name SPRITES/HOTA/CAPITOL and type ANIMATION wasn't found.
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::runtime_error'
  what():  Resource with name SPRITES/HOTA/CAPITOL and type ANIMATION wasn't found.
Neúspěšně ukončen (SIGABRT)

That means I am probably missing some file /or the file is missing in installed mod/.

Thanks for report - I’ve made an update with fixed paths. You should be able to install it via launcher.

Will the hota mod include graphical nad gamplay mechanic changes to castles like in Kuririn’s mod here? I do not see it included…

Ask Kuririn, he walks his own paths :wink:

I am trying to create a mod that replaces creature defs from those from hota. Either replacing creatures is not supported am doing something wrong (more probable :slight_smile: ). For starters I try to replace Orc and Orc Chieftain. By trial and error i tried to use:

core:stroghold

or

core:creatures

but none of them work, I get:

Error: Unknown entry found: orc
At <root>
	 Error: Unknown entry found: orcChieftain
At <root>
	 Error: Required entry faction is missing

Full JSON file:

{
	"core:stronghold" :
	{
		"orc" :
		{
			"graphics" :
			{
				"animation" : "battle/CORC.DEF",
				"map" : "map/AVWORC0.DEF"
			},
			"sound" :
			{
				"killed": "OORCKILL.wav",
				"wince": "OORCWNCE.wav"
			}
		},
		"orcChieftain" :
		{
			"graphics" :
			{
				"animation" : "battle/CORCCH.DEF",
				"map" : "map/AVWORCX0.DEF"
			},
			"sound" :
			{
				"killed": "ORCCKILL.wav",
				"wince": "ORCCWNCE.wav"
			}
		}
	}
}

Could you give a hint what am I doing wrong?

{
    "hota:pirate" : 
    {
        // entries that you want to replace in object "pirate" from mod "hota"
        // Note that hota is submod so you need to write "hota.cove:pirate" (if I haven't missed anything)
    }
}
    "core:orc" :
    {
        // entries that you want to replace from H3 object "orc"
    }
}

Add file with such code in “creatures” section of your mod and it should work.

Excellent, thanks :slight_smile:

Ok, I managed to successfully make a mod implementing all changes and graphic fixes to creatures from HotA. Unless I am wrong, VCMI does not support shooting area attacks at any hex (Magog, Lich) ? I could not find any info on that, so I assumed that it does not, therefore obviously it is not implemented :stuck_out_tongue:

I do not know if it will be helpfull, but I think it can be added as a submod to hota. I managed o quickly test it and fix most obvious errors, but it would be nice if someone looked at it as well. I’m attaching it below :slight_smile:

BTW, does VCMI use graphics from map symbolizing creature attack when hero gets close right before the battle (AVWATTAK.DEF)?

HotA creature changes.zip (3.29 MB)

Good job!

However, I don’t see how making Faerie Dragon stronger than Rust Dragon could help balance :stuck_out_tongue:

However, I don't see how making Faerie Dragon stronger than Rust Dragon could help balance :P

Well, HotA team should probably be asked about it :smiley:

marif, OK, will take a look on it in a few days. I wanted to create such mod but never got to actually doing this. Thanks, will include it in HotA soon :slight_smile:

Not yet.

I’ll try to look into Town screen corrections, but probably not this weekend. Kuririn’s mod has a few bugs and crashes VCMI altogether as far as I checked…

Ok, I did it :slight_smile: I made all HotA Town Screen corrections into a mod (attached below) and (hopefully) polished and tested it. New creature backgrounds are implemented as a part of the mod as well. I aligned some of the buildings as some of their areas are different. Sample screens for Conflux (most altered town), Inferno and Tower are below as well.

Everything should work fine but… well, it doesn’t :frowning:

While modding I encountered some problems. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or mods are conflicting with one another (I don’t think they are, but…) or maybe it is the problem of modding functionality itself… The problems are:

If I have both the mods for Town corrections and HotA creature changes (the previous one I made) enabled, it seems that at least some of the changes in creatures do not work. Lets take Firebird/Phoenix for example. At first The Town corrections mod did not alter anything but horde growth for The Vault of Ashes. Rest of the creature modifications from HotA are in the other mod. When Conflux was fully expanded I noticed that Phoenix growth is 7 (2 Basic + 2 Castle + 2 grail + 1 Vault of Ashes) instead of 4 with the mod (1 Basic + 1 Castle + 1 grail + 1 Vault of Ashes). The changes to the price from Creature changes mod did not work as well (gold increased from 2000 to 3000).

When I disable Town corrections mod, HotA creature changes kick in and lower the basic growth and increase the price as it should. I thought that maybe one mod overwrites the other. But that is not consistent with another fact. The changes to Firebird from hota give him fire resistance of 50% instead of full immunity. I did add this ability, but it seems that not the Firerbird has both of them (screen), so nothing is overwritten. Is this a bug? I do not see how to disable full fire immunity via a mod and add lower. :confused:

Anyway… at this point I just added “growth” to Town corrections as well so at least this works but I have no clue what is wrong :frowning:

It would be good I thing if one of you guys takes a look at that…