Modding FAQ

Is it possible to create new faction without town? Like Neutral faction? What should I wright in the “town” column in faction.json file?

Just now it’s not possible to create faction without town.
I suggested to do “special”:true value to faction to skip its selection in start-up.
But right now only “neutral” faction can do without town.

It should be possible - if “town” entry is not present then it will act as neutral faction. If not - then I would consider this as a bug.

I checked - great, this now works (didn’t worked in 0.93, so I didn’t recheck it).

For example, this is content of faction.json. No other files is needed now for section “factions” in json.

{
    "specialsUSArmy": {
        "name": "US Army",
        "creatureBackground": {
            "120px": "USArmy/120px.bmp",
            "130px": "USArmy/130px.bmp"
        },
        "nativeTerrain": "sand",
        "commander": "specialsUSMarine",
        "alignment": "good"

}
}

Now we can create factions without town - only with creatures and heroes in it!

I want to create new heroes with some artefacts (for example, hero with ballista or some artifact on start).

How can I do this?
In WIKI there is no section for artefacts or war machines:
wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=Hero_Format

How can I modify original Hero? I want replace Xeron’s skills and change speciality to upgrades Devils to Arch Devils(Mobile Upg. Forsaken Palace) and still get his bonuses to this Creatures…

I wanted to ask about composite artefacts.
Must i again write all bonuses from components of it?
Or i must only write new bonus that will come from it?

I’m asking because we have no editor and i cannot place new arts in it yet to test them.

All bonuses from parts will be propagated to combined artifact automatically by engine.

Hi, I’m adding some creatures to VCMI but when i start game, console show a lot of warnings: identifier creaturename is not in camelCase!. How I can remove this errors?

Check if first letter of Your creature is small, and if not change it to small one.

Good:

"creatureName" : 
{
	// translatable names
	"name" :
	{
		"singular" : "Creature",
		"plural" : "Creatures"
	},
	"level" : 0,

Bad:

"CreatureName" : 
{
	// translatable names
	"name" :
	{
		"singular" : "Creature",
		"plural" : "Creatures"
	},
	"level" : 0,

[/code]

It’s work thanks, I’ve got one question, is there any maximum total added creatures? Because I’ve got them a lot, but today vcmi give me some error. And when i disable one creture, error disapear.

How about possibility that this creature is buggy?

No, i disable one of your creature dowloaded from this site.

So what exactly is the error?

Disaster happened
Reason 0xc0000005 - EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION at… after this there are some numbers but always them are random.

When exactly does this show?

When game run (you know first videos).

I don’t see how Launcher mods could cause issues like that. Please make detailed report here with the list of installed mods, console log and everything else you know.

Firstly, say what creature mod are you talking about?