Challenges that the VCMI project faces. What could go wrong

VCMI - Reincarnation of Heroes ?

And why not to make something like a name of an artifact just like ‘HotA’ or ‘AB’ from the name ‘VCMI’ (a backronym). Someting like:

Veritable
Celestial
Mask of
Invincibility

or

Veritable
Cube of
Magical
Invincibility

… or whatever

Making a mod with a single artifact should not be so hard :wink:

So far my favorite is “Various Coders Messing Irrationally” :stuck_out_tongue:
Another interesting one was “Very Cool Modding Interface” - describes quite well how modding side of our project should look like.

Both are courtesy of Zamolxis

Or VCMI: Restoration of Heroes, keeping reference to H3:RoE

How about “VCMI: Heroes Renaissance”?

Too complex word for non-english people

VCMI_Yes We Can!

I like that one

That is pretty funny, considering that it comes from Latin and quite a few people are using Latin languages (800 million native speakers according to Wikipedia). Add the native and non-native English speakers and you get a sizable part of the Earth population that will not have problems with this word. I am also not a native English or Latin language speaker.

The Renaissance is also a very well known period and commonly associated with progress and flourishing, which is exactly what VCMI is to Heroes 3.

Calling VCMI ‘Renaissance of Heroes 3’ could also be a hidden reference to country from which many of its creators originate - renaissance was actually a golden age for Poland. :stuck_out_tongue:
Well, but still it’s propably the best term to describe VCMI in few words.

I didn’t know. I throught Renaissance was primary in Italy, France and so on.
I think “3” is no good in terms of trademark.

VCMI ‘Renaissance of Heroes’ than is good
Of VCMI ‘Heroes Universe Reloaded’

Yes, without “3” in the name - it can cause legal problems.
And also VCMI has enough capabilities to create a game with it’s own graphics, creatures, heroes and abilities, that it will have little or no resemblance to Heroes 3.

Considering that we have exactly 0 persons capable of creating graphics this would be… problematic. Well, unless this graphics will be procedurally generated :slight_smile:

Have you seen such stupid spelling in latin? It is a trademark of english language, to put some random letters, so americans have to trim them down. It would be much better to use polish name insdead: VCMI: Renesans Heroes.

Renaissance was a a golden age for every medieval country:) As for the meaning of this term itself - I don’t think VCMI is renaissance of HoMM3, this suggests that HoMM3 was dumb crap. The better word is “Evolution”.

Version numbers (generally speaking: numbers) can’t be a trademark. If anything, that’s the word “Heroes” that should be avoided. Otherwise, when VCMI reaches version 2.99, what would be the next stable release? 4.0?

I doubt titles can be trademarked, or if HoMM3 was trademarked at all.

VCMI: The Third Age of Heroism. :wink:

You’re not going to make many French friends, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue:

Of course they can. Here. Take a look at the box cover of HOMM3. If you don’t have it handy, it’s on MobyGames. Pay close attention to that little thing next to the C of “MAGIC” – yep, it’s the ® that denotes a registered trademark. As far as I can tell, they registered Heroes, Might and Magic, and Heroes of Might and Magic. The subtitles (Restoration of Erathia, Shadow of Death, etc.) are also most probably registered trademarks; it’s standard operating procedure, really.

If you don’t claim or register your trademarks, anybody else can imitate them. Contrarily to copyright, it’s not automatic. Titles and brand names, logos, and other such identifiers are always trademarked. It’s a necessity.

0 people? have you guys not created any graphic?

Not counting some window UI (like new creature window) - we haven’t. Creating (for example) creature & animating it is far beyond our abilities.

I always thought french is more readable than english in terms of actually saying what is written - am I wrong (don’t know this language)? English looks like codified by a few illiterates each knowing only some parts of the alphabet. Most languages I’ve learnt (russian, german or even arabic /except for vowels when not marked/, not to mention esperanto) have some strict rules of reading letters loud with minor exceptions, while english is like one big exception.

Indeed, I didn’t realize the difference between ® and ™. However, ‘Heroes’ is apparently not registered in Poland where VCMI has started (Urząd Patentowy and check ‘Znaki towarowe (akt. 16-12-2013)’). Moreover, international search (‘Międzynarodowe znaki towarowe - porozumienie madryckie (akt. 07-12-2013)’ checked doesn’t find it either. So the question remains: are these trademarks registered anywhere outside USA (which we mostly don’t care)?

It is, in that respect, much better than English, but it does have a number of oddities and exceptions, some of them explained by grammar or etymology. However, I was saying that because the word “Renaissance” is one of the many French words used in English. Its English spelling is unmodified from its French spelling.

And in English it probably wouldn’t matter, but in French, if you changed or removed any letter, it’d give a different pronunciation.

I agree. It’s pretty nice sounding. It’s also a cool reference to ‘The Restoration of Erathia’.