Project Legends - standalone game powered by Vcmi

Style is no question, HMM3 can be filled with graphics of any style:-)
Maybe you can share only graphics for town screens at least (if you have it in 2D - I don’t go easy with 3D graphics)?
Or if you don’t want to distribute them, maybe you share them only to me?
I promise not to share or distribute them on Internet.

By the way, I played with replacing DEF frames of town screen buildings by PNG files, and I must say that 32-bit PNGs with transparency, half-transparency etc are shown cool.
So there is already 32-bit support in VCMI.
Just it isn’t direct - you must write in structures.json path to DEFs, in folder with DEF place .json, and then write what frames must be replaced by what files.

Well it doesn’t mean though such mix would look good though …

my work is mostly in 2d xcf files. It is based on 3d models though.

For now I rather not share them. There are two reasons :

1. to share them would mean I have to make a proper licensing file attached to them instead of rough sketch I have now… Well this task is not fun at all (licensing is generally boring) so for now I postpone it . This is important because I want (and must according to license terms of stuff I use) to give credits to all the fantastic people that made models I’m using.

2. For now this is early stage so I would rather keep it as private as I can, because I would hate to see some of this stuff used in any h3 mods before there is a playable alpha or beta of legends.

That’s nice to know… but it sounds very complex. I hope it will get easier in the future :slight_smile:

Anyway I have been busy for some time :frowning: … but here is some update on the work in progress :
i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/val-gaav/legends/snow.jpg

i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/val-gaav/legends/dirt.png

OK.
But if you change mind I swear that this graphics will not be in any of H3 mods. I already have many mods with graphics I sweared to not share, and I didn’t cheat it’s authors.

xcf’s are good, i’ll make them use if else.

Nice idea about totally new game with heroes 3 style. I was thinking to make 3d creatures and towns models from Heroes 3 and replace Heroes 5 ones with this ones.

i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/val-gaav/legends/jungle.jpg

i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/val-gaav/legends/swamp.jpg

Some updates … Jungle and Swamp tilesets.

So work is progressing nicelly … but slowly :slight_smile:

Update :

underground and wasteland tilesets :

i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/val-gaav/legends/und.jpg

i42.photobucket.com/albums/e331/val-gaav/legends/waste.jpg

Some small update on my work :

-Surface shores on a grass terrain:

Water tileset with some rocks obstackles as in orignial game:

Underground … Instead of rocks and empty void I’ve decided to do lava tileset. Just as with rocks it will be non passable .

rocks aren’t flyable, lava is?

Good question. By logic it should be flyable.

However for legends it will not be of an importance. I don’t plan of enabling DD and Fly in my game.

-Firstly there will be two hero classes Mages and Technicians. Technicians will use potions (aiding their units with mass haste bless etc.) and will be able to fix(resurrect) mechanical units. Mages on the other hand will have access to diversity of spells (destruction, summoning, etc. ) DD and Fly would brake the balance giving too much power to mage classes.

-Secondly I think DD and Fly brakes the game and most maps as it allows player to cross zone guards he shouldn’t have. So my personal preference is also to not have those spells in game.

Town portal however will be enabled . Technicians will be able to counter it as their towns will have an Airport building (Infernos castle gate.)

Elvish town on adventure map:

Human town on adventure map:

Dwarf town on adventure map:

By the way, style resembles ukrainian heroes-like game HEROES OF MALGRIMIA 1/2.

youtu.be/NefVQOpB8iE

I thought you posted an open source game … but it seems to be comercial… Would be really nice if it was an open source game… I could use some of their work if it was cc-by-sa or GPLed …

Undead town on adventure map:

Desert Town on adventure map:

Roads:

It’s an old game anyway, maybe you can contact them and ask for resources:-)

So time for another update :

Now it is time for mines. There will be six resources in legends (and gold of course). Two main resources will be wood and stone.

Four special resources will be main ones for each castle. 2 for tech towns and 2 for magic towns. 5th town will not have one main resource, but will end up using all of them (like castle in h3).

For strategy it means that magic mines will be useless for tech towns, and going deeper into game mechanics hellium will be important for dwarves while oil for humans.

Same rules apply for magic towns.

Stone mine and helium mine :

Nest (egg mine) Mana node and Oil raffinery :

Gold mine, wood deposit and abandoned mine:

Another update on my work.

Some map objects :

Looks promising. Keep us updated

Work on map locations continues. BTW I’m surprised how many objects h3sod has. When playing I always had the impression it’s about 20 objects beside mines.

Another update on map objects :slight_smile: A lot still left to do.

Another week another update :slight_smile: