Modding suggestions

Two more suggestions:

1. It would nice feature to have possibility of creating hero skill (learnable or permanent) that converts one type of creatures into another (like Gelu or Tarnum);

2. It would interesting feature, if player could make building straight on map. Like digging for grail, but in another manner - first, you make ground clean (one turn - one cell), then you put building on cleared ground, and it’s built in a few (variable) days. Probably, could be done by “builder” hero. But then comes enemy hero and destroys your building…
    Just a suggestion, needs careful designing, and definetely not compatible with classic HoMM, but there is already castle destruction in WoG )

We already have it and it’s used in at least two mods.

And how you want to make player stop from blocking the path with this building?

Don’t understand what building at all?
But I remembered really good idea.
In WOG there is possibility to leave creature stack on map.
I think that idea needed to be continued.
Every hero must have ability to leave creautres on map.

1. first he points where to leave creatures (maybe it’s button near “dig button”).
  2. than In “Garrizon” dialogue he selects stacks and move them to first row and presses OK
  3. on map appears tent with player colour flag (or just tent with colours of player).
  4. if player “attacks” it’s own tent on map, he will open Garrizon dialogue. If he dismisses creatures ot takes them back, tent on map disappears.
  5. If enemy attacks tent, he fights stacks, diplomacy cannot help him to join tent forces to his army

PS Tent may be 64X64 size big.

Well, it would block other player also. But this case, destruction of should happen faster then building. For example, it took you 8 days + some resources to build 8 block building. For other player it will require 1 day to destroy this blocking building, to pass through.

Like in Disciples 1-2: first you plant rod with archangel for 150 gold, then comes another player rod planter and removes your rod for no cost. So you have to think carefully, if it worth to put rod or not, especially, if enemy is nearby and he’s ready to devastate.

But ok, it would be nice “simcity/rts” type feature for some mod, but not necessary.

What will do ally player, when this building will block the way?

He will say - “Hmm! Good move, man! Now let me pass”. Or will simply swear a lot. And destroy building, breaking alliance. Or simply destroying the building and going further )

BTW.
We should have option of diplomatic relationships:

• predefined (unchangable):
    –> depending on map;
    –> defined before the match;
  • variable:
    –> changable while playing (disciples style);
    –> also could be defined before the match (not waste time on initial diplomatic settings ingame);

Variable diplomacy can bring a lot of vile fun in game )

Don’t think it will be before v.1.0
It’s a matter of AI, now AI is not very good, so it will take time to improving standard features…
As I remember, allies sent resources and asked resources in exchange. Maybe if you don’t send them resources for a while, or don’t attack common enemies for some time, AI would break alliance.

1. I’m very excited for simultaneously turns. I’d like the option to disable it after ‘x’ weeks has passed. Or on player contact. Turns should still be on a timer, of course, if chosen.

2. Option to allow to watch other player’s combat. Like in Age of Wonder. Casual gameplay.

3. Option to take control of the AI in tactical combat against other players in 1v1 games. Casual gameplay.

4. Chess clock like in HDmod, but with the option to allow the game to force a battle in process to revert to quick combat results if the timer runs out when the current player is in tactical battle. It’ll help make turn time consistent. Otherwise, if time goes to zero you can stay in tactical battle without any trade off. Imagine having 2 min turns, and you attack on the last second in your turn. The other player will now have to wait maybe 4 mins instead of just 2 mins. Not very consistant turn time.

5. Adjustable turn time in any digits. Say if I want 1.30 min turns I can have that.

6. Option to allow razing towns. Great mechanic for shortening a game and thus ending it faster. Rebuilding towns shouldn’t be allowed. The point is to draw the game to a conclusion, not prolong it. Also, you probably shouldn’t have to manually raze every single building, turn by turn. It should just take a week, or so, to allow to give time to save it. But the game could automatically destroy a certain number of buildings per turn. It’s just a simpler mechanic this way. A level hero requirement would probably be a bad thing. It would just limit the usefulness of a low level hero. Better some combined creature strength level then. A low level hero could buy that from the town he took.

7. Option to add magical terrain to random generated maps.

8. Allow option to have a difference in map size between the land and the underground. Imagine a XL map with a small underground. The two maps wouldn’t align perfectly, but I don’t see why it couldn’t work.

9. Allow option for plains. Plains are small/medium areas outside the normal map. So another map/world connected by portals to the normal map. A plain could for example be out in space. So the water would be stars now. Or a very magical plain. Water could be something magical. The whole theme could change from plain to plain.

10. Selectable, secondary victory conditions for random maps. I’m sure people could think of some fun possibilities.

11. Weather. Like, rain, snow, moving sun shadows. Maybe not all possible on the engine, though.

Some of my ideas are just quick brain storm ideas. :slight_smile:

My top wish as well. Building the same lineup year by year becomes … boring to say the least. Also, strategic potential of different building paths is huge. One lineup for small, fast maps, other for slower bigger maps. Strategic choices based on available resources or oponent type.
Haveing all possible upgrades ala H5 is stupid and removes any strategic decision makeing. It just adds bunch of creatures to town.
Also, I dont see any problem with “oponent had built different dwelings than I did” scenario. Just destroy what doesnt fit your lineup and build dwelings that you need again. While we are at that, town destroying and converting (ala H6) is a must. And not at all like in Wog where it take days, weeks for such an action.
Anyway, alternative building paths should be available for moders to implement them via mods.
Thanks.

2 and 3 I never thought about exactly in this way for Heroes, but had them like wishes for other games. Would be so nice to have them in VCMI.

I want to ask, what is about boats?
I didn’t find any mention of boats or AB01_ - AB01.Def in config files.
Do they now totally hardcoded?
Or is this some TXT in h3sprite.lod, which lists available boats?
I ask because I want to add some additional boats to game (only cosmetic change).

How about an option for see-through-able fog? Black fog = as now. You cannot see through it. Light fog = you can see the landscape beneath it, but enemy heroes.

But with this option on many other things must also change with it.

*The standard visibility range of heroes must be farther than before.

*Watch towers view range must also be farther than before relative to a hero’s sight range.

*The ‘Scout ability bonus’ must be farther.

*Flagged buildings would give sight.

Maybe more thing that I forgot. It could be pretty cool on large maps, at least.

Fog of war is a thing to be explored. Transparent fog will be not interesting to game with.

As for scout ability, I think, if it will increase with hero level (like some other skills), it can become more powerful for strong hero.

Actually, I think that having an adventure map spell that could regrow shroud for your enemy’s vision would be more interesting and more heroes than my fog suggestion. I’m kinda starting to not like my own suggestion about an alternative fog option. I do really like how the shroud already works. But a Cover of Darkness spell could potentially be interesting in play if balanced and non-spammable. Single use spell scroll - or expensive in spell points.

I think the Chinese Font Mod has some problem.The numbers, Punctuation(, . ! ? :)and English words should be smaller (1-byte)

Yeah, you’re not the only one who thinks so: bugs.vcmi.eu/view.php?id=1420#c4061
Short version: will try to fix for next release.

Now there is Darkness ability, that helps hero spread fog.
I think artifact for Darkness also can be made (not tried yet)

On fog:

What if the shroud were to regrow - but regrow slowly as a transparent fog instead? This would not mean you being able to see further into the shroud because heroes would have the standard sight radius. So it’s compatible in that sense with other original elements.

Additions to this mechanic could be:

1. Being able to set up sentry wards (gives sight like an outpost) but it can be destroyed by contact with any enemy hero.

Thoughts?

New brainstorm ideas: More control over quick combat.

Brainstorm thoughts on this:

-Being able to select what spells your heroes may/should use out of your available spells.
-Basic tactic. Like, stand back and protect archers/cast spells.
-Use no mana (this is already an WoG option).

Also, to explain with an example with a common issue with using quick combat:

If you use quick combat and your army is composed of fx. dendroid soldiers (slow) and silver pegasuses (fast) and you’re attacking dendroid soldiers (again slow) then your silver pegasuses will take the blunt of the attack, because they’ll reach the enemy first.

Of course, a smarter battle AI in general could also change the outcome of this example.

The point is just that quick combat speeds up the game, but it’s inconsistent and mostly very bad to use if not a total victory.

Other thing related: Suppose an option for quick combat to be based on calculations based on basic numbers and values and not on tactical combat that is the AI vs the AI just calculated really fast. In theory, such an system would not suffer from stupid AI, at least. And it’d be very consistent and fair.

But heroes 3 is probably just too complicated for such a simplification of quick combat.

On SIM turns:

I hope that manual battle will not force other players to wait until it’s finished. Two or more players should be able to be in combat at the same time against wandering creatures.

While you wait for your turn:

-Being able to change the move path on your heroes for quick movement when you get your time back.

-Arrange artifacts on heroes. *Takes effect on your turn.

-Sell resources (takes effect when you get your turn)

(more of)I want to see:

Light sources. Light by objects to create atmosphere.
Day/morning and night/evening cycle.

Fireworks

fredd79.deviantart.com/art/H3-fi … -400495531

On Spells**

Being able to put a limit on specific spells, per combat.

I propose to give possibility to modders to create new CREATURE_TYPE values.

I mean now it’s UNDEAD, DRAGON_NATURE, SIEGE_MACHINE, NON_LIVING and maybe something else.
I think it will be good to add some other values, used only for immunities or hero/artifact bonuses limiters.

Like for resolving magogs hurting demons (not only from Inferno), to add DEMON_NATURE.
Or for robots/cyborg/droids and MECHANISM.
Or some racial values like IS_ELF, IS_DWARF, IS_ORC
Or conversion values like CONVERTS_TO_WEREWOLF to distinguish creatures that can be converted through SPECIAL_UPGRADE ability to some other monster.

Maybe some config with list of these values is needed when new types can be added.

As I understand, now VCMI don’t support tavern videos changing for new/standard towns.
On DF2 there is a new mod with tavern videos for 9 standard towns:
forum.df2.ru/index.php?s=&showto … t&p=619384

It would be cool, if tavern video could be set for towns