Modding FAQ

It’s not obvious for me. What to write to them? % of bonus to base of points/cells on adventure map?

Warmonger, can it be added to Wiki? And MORALE/LUCK also.

val is already reserved for

Added some triial descriptions for these.

Just in case, everone can edit wiki :stuck_out_tongue:

DAEMON_SUMMONING require creature CASTS to work.

When I tried it, creature summoned creatures without casts unlimitedly.
CAST only limited ability to 1 (in my case).

And 6th question:

IMPROVED_NECROMANCY
allows Necropolis units other than skeletons to be raised by necromancy

When I added it to hero with “subtype”:“creature.someCreature”, it didn’t work (trivial sceletons were rased). Can you also describe it more fully?

Well, at the moment it’s hardcoded to work just like Cloak of the Undead King. I may change that later to allow more customization.

And I earlier proposed ability like DAEMON_SUMMONING, but it works only on enemy stacks (like RAISE_DEAD).
I looked to code, it requires only new “if” (stack is enemy). Can It be implemented later?
It will emerge brand new tactics, so player with Resurrection will no longer be happy.

And another question.
I need to make creatures that are strong at melee combat, and their shooting is weaker (for example, for 30-50%). Is there a way to make some bonus/minus so their melee damage will be higher that shots?

Use ONLY_DISTANCE_FIGHT range modifier to add some penalty for creature attack.

In creature bonuses I found CREATURE_DAMAGE.
But this usually is written in hero config, so will it work, if I write bonus in creature config? Will this bonus be only for the creature?

If this will not work, I found ALWAYS_MINIMUM_DAMAGE for attacks from range.
There can be assigned antibonus to minimum damage. So I can make it -val to correct ranged attacks. Right?

By the way, I saw idea of artifact, that turns out flying ability of all creatures in battle.
Is something like this already possible in VCMI?
Or all flying creatures must be listed by their name in that case?

Please forgive my stupid questions and and poor English.How “advMapAmount” works?

Described here: wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=Creature_Format

This is used to determine size of creature army placed in map editor or on receiving double growth from “Month of” event.

"advMapAmount" :
{
	"min" : 10,
	"max" : 20
},

This code means that random stacks of a creature on map will be 10-20 units in size.

I know that right now it’s not possible to turn off standard castles.
But we have modding mechanism that allows to change “core:” towns,
So I want to try in nearly future to take some new town and change it to replace Castle, for example.
Also I want to try to set all castle heroes as “special” : true, so they will not appear on maps.
I’ll try also to replace standard creatures by new (changing their parameters, names etc leaving only identificator.
What do you think of it?

Well, it’s not that simple. For example, Stables will always try to upgrade Cavaliers to Champions, which is hardcoded and may not make much sense once these creatures are replaced.
Same issus will be caused by any part where creatures are used - Griffin Conservatory and other banks, necromancy, skeleton transformer, Deity of Fire etc.

If I change Cavaliers and Champions animations to new creatures, Stables will upgrade new units, I think.
Graphical appearance of Stables can be changed too :slight_smile:

I wanted to ask - is there some formulas (maybe inaccurate formulas) to calc AI Value/Fight Value for creatures (maybe based on hit points, damage, attack/defence skills)?
I don’t want, however, to calculate and correct these values manually altrough, maybe will think about some program modifying values in JSONs according to formulas.

PS If AI is not basing it’s actions in battle based on these values, and they can be calculated, then maybe VCMI could count Fight Value/AI Valus on start not forcing people to enter these values as required?

None known.

Battle AI largely/completely ignores them.
But adventure map AI does uses them.

I found tool Mon Power
sites.google.com/site/sergroj/w … ects=0&d=1
It calculates AI/Fight Values for monsters based on Attack/defence/Hit Points/damage values
(not all, but author swears it gives results close to standard).
Unfortunately, seems there are no sources, so these formulas cannot be reused in other programs…

Can someone help me? I was trying to make a mod, and I got this error:

23:31:33 ERROR global [11c0] - Resource with name CONFIG/KNIGHT/KNIGHT and type TEXT wasn't found.
23:31:33 ERROR global [11c0] - Disaster happened.
23:31:33 ERROR global [11c0] - Reason: 0xe06d7363 - UNKNOWN EXCEPTION at 0023:75C44B32
23:31:33 ERROR global [11c0] - Thread ID: 4544 [4544]
23:31:33 ERROR global [11c0] - Crash info will be put in VCMI_client.exe_crashinfo.dmp

This means that one of files listed in mod.json was not found (missing file or mismatching name).

Normally vcmi will load file with such name from “Mods//Content/config/knight/knight.json”

Thank you, Ivan.

But unfortunately, I have a problem now. I’m trying to make heroes for the Succession Wars mod for VCMI, and I came across a problem that many names are the same.

So when I made a hero with a class “knight”, which was actually supposed to be a H2 knight, he appeared as an additional knight hero in the castle faction. His specialty were H2 peasants, but instead he has neutral H3 peasants at startup and his specialty bonus works for them, I haven’t given him the other peasants to see if his specialty will work on them, but all of this makes the mod impossible.

Any ideas? :unamused: