Modding suggestions

its not the same as using CE speedhack… cause it makes all the game move faster. menu opens faster smoother, you open up castle faster smoother, trees move alot smoother, heroes and untis all move smoother and so on and on… its not about the regular settings of the game.

Guys, i’ve read a good tutorial how to change monsters in game. But now i dont know where is possible to get 3d models. Is it necessery to have 3d model or there is another way? I wish to join modmakers comunity. help me understand how to do it.

Most assets in vcmi mods are ripped graphics from other games. There are some graphics from 3D models - they were made mostly in Blender software. There are many tutorials how to make 3d graphics in Blender at youtube. After learning basics you must contact somehow with @fiorin or @Andruids or @By003 but first steps are watching blender tutorials.

Or first you can use ready-to-use creatures from other mods or ERA mods or creature banks like this: Bank Stworów - In The Wake of Gods - Komnaty Kwasowej Groty

Many creature models in Bank Stworów are not suit for HoMM3 style, and it is hard to find suitable ones which are not used in any other mods. A large number of models in this bank are used in ERA mods or some other VCMI mods, so I prefer to making new models, even if it will take me long time.

1 Like

Thanks you. I will try!

Ben Yan Hello man. I really so glad you appeared in forum. I’m your fan. I love your cathedral. It is the best town for me not among only mod town i mean better then Castle, Rampart and rest. Idk why Hota team refused idea to add this town. Actually Cathedral is the main reason why i decided to test VCMI. But i want to change 2 monsters. I replaced coatles to werewolves and i want to find some model instead dogs lvl 1.
If you have some other sprites you tested on lvl 1 creatures, can you share it please?
I think these guys with bats is very good for 1lvl for Cathedral. Maybe you have def files or model?

It is just for me. i dont want to steal your mod or tell you that you’ve made something wrong. Your work is great! I just wanna try to do something for myself. And i would like to create my own city. I want to use your dwarf castle and make elves castle from the start and somehow change rampart. I always dislaked that rampart has only 2 elf and 1 dwarf creature. It would be great to seperate such popular and imporatant fantasy races. This is my idea long time. But modding in heroes was always imposible for me till i found VCMI.

I learned how to replace units, change their characteristics, ability, sound, else. I agree with you most of sprites is not for HoMM3. But i dont know how to make sprites by myself. Can u give some advices about which soft i should use? Actually i’m 3d artist and i work in 3ds max so i could make the town models there. But this program is very bad for creating monsters, or people. So u use blender? I understand it is really long and hard work and i dont want to just waste a lot of time without any result. So i need to have some plan how to get succes.

By the way this is werewolf from wog and tides of war instead coatls) i dont want to take upgrade version from tides of war cause undead is really bad in this castle
And i dont even imagine how to make the same size for them like all default and upraded sprites in the game…

Summary

Basics: first you must learn how to browse and extract graphics from vanilla h3 as references.
In Data folder you can see two files: h3bitmap.lod and h3sprites.lod.
H3bitmap.lod contains bitmaps (.pcx .bmp)
H3sprites.lod contains graphics in .def format.

For browsing and extracting assets from .lod and .pac files - use MM Archive
For viewing and extracting bitmaps from .def files - use Def preview
For making new .def files - use Def Tool

All these tools you can dowlnoad from here: Heroes 3.5 In the Wake of Gods – Sergey "GrayFace" Rozhenko Homepage

After being familiar with them, come back here for further steps :slight_smile:

Thank you! Really :smile: i thought it is imposible to find somebody who would want help someone without any experience in modding HOMM3. I asked Hota team and their forum to give some advices, but they refused. I hope VCMI will continiue to improve.
Actually i’ve already got it. I know about def viwer and MM Archive. Didnt test Def Tool cause i have noone model now. I only replaced couatles to werewolves but i’ve made some aquaintance with mod construction and files.
Now i want plan how to create elven town. make a sketch. Looking for a background.
Also I found a lot of free 3d elf models. I think i should learn blender to fix them maximum as it possible for me to h3 style. Ben Yan is absolutley right about this. We should try to save h3 style.
I want to keep evle archer and pegas(only 2 elven creature in game) and take dryad from tides of war. maybe keep unicorns also. So i need to make 3-4 models. But i hope i’ll handle to fix some free models and save time. Then i would keep Rampart with another creatues. But i don’t know what to do further. How do you think : can i remake autumn Rampart and add new town in one mod or it is not possible?

All newbies want to make whole new fraction. It’s a big mistake. New town will wait - first, make some small changes - new creature, new artifact for example. It’s best to learn at small things at the beginning. So making new unit from 3d-model is best way at start.
As you can see at this example:

To made def you need bunch of frames to animate. For creature format you need frames 450x400 pixels with cyan backgrounds. Creature graphics must be in the middle, not to big. And you need frames for diffirent parts of animatons - walking, standing, attacking. Studying def, you will know what frames are needed.

I have no graphics skills you I won’t help with Blender or 3D Max. But there are some graphics tutorials (unfortunatelly with dead pictures :frowning:
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=34352

1 Like

Yeah i saw def files. Cyan in bmp is like empty in png. Purple is shadow.
I think you are right. I will make new creature first.
By the way how other modders change original creatures? Do they change every single frame or they have original model?

That’s great for you to do this, actually I suppose werewolves are suitable for a vampire style town, lvl 4 creature whose name is Glutton/Bloody Wings will be suitable for cathedral - like a plague mutation of Griffin, the original name is Coutal. Now I have created two new names:
Bloody Wings/Cursed Wings
Gourmands/Gluttons

If you can change lvl 1 creature to Guards, that’s ok but I suppose two double-wide creatures would be more suitable. If you also change Gluttons to Werewolves, there is no double-wide creatures now.

Original models never leaked, so I assume they change every single frame.
Look at this clip made by Adam Navel:

Creating new model is really so hard and complicated process. I think i’m stacked here for long ) and i dont have so much spare time. I hope i’ll handle finally . By the way here is something very usefull
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=34352
but really unfortunately dead pictures.
Now i just make aquaintance with blender navigation then i’ll try to make first creature.
I want to create someone like elven city watch or elven scout with such reference to keep h3 style

Summary

also i’ve made few screens with plans about units

i remember u told me it is so bad idea to create new town for begginers. i agree. but i think i can to do something i really want. so if i’ll make bad elf i’ll just delete this one and try again. About buildings and whole town - latter. So i want replace centaurs to city watch or elven scouts, dendroids to druids or woman elf warriors with 2 swords. unicorns should to stay i think. and dragons to someone i don’t know yet

1 Like

I know about Coutal. I thought that werevolves could be counter vs vampires.
I even didnt think about double-wide.
And i wanted to change only lonely dogs. upgraded patrol with dogs is good!

By the way you didnt answer before. Did you use blender for your models?

It is very hard for me to use blender, and I learned for 3dsmax myself, but I can only do a little work for it. Many of new models are just made by PS.

I work in 3dsmax. But i’ve never used animation and i always thought it is too difficult to move and animate charakters.
Really PS? So you painted about 20-30 frames for 1 unit?
Blender is very hard for begginers. I’m trying to make something i want also to save time and learn only things i need. I watched few lessons. I downloaded such free 3d model

Summary

Now i want to give him spear and create elven city watch man. change colors and idk how to keep h3 style ))
also i need make skeleton for him. then i’ll move him and make necessary 20-30 frames for def files.
I have no idea how i need render him in blender, get shadow and make upgrated unit + keep animation.

there are a lot of nice free models but without textures. Creating unwrapped textures is also very hard

Summary

Next problem is… h3 resolution. You will loose all fancy details during downscalling…

Maybe it is not a problem . I think it could become partly solution in keeping h3 style)

Hi everyone,
I would like to ask for a vcmi mod that would allow (as in Heroes 4?) the ability to choose one skill not from 2, but from 3 possible (or switchable to 4) skills!
You could even call this little mod “switch 3/4”.
I’ve been waiting for this revolution in Heroes 3 for a very long time and I think it would be a pretty cool idea. Can it be done? A dialog with three or four skills to choose one from?
:slight_smile: