Main bug thread

Ok, well, i see town window with monster already work in this version, i load some maps, wog, standard and all work ok. I see new cursor but don’t change in actions (in map, but in battle work great) :slight_smile:

Small bug i map, when i select enemy castle to attack and his hero is in caste, i normaly enter to castle:

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/1412/20080819224532ug0.jpg

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4994/20080819224541qr9.jpg

And when map is loaded and i click X to close game i get memory read error, i think it’s problem with map destructor or resource manager.

Will be fixed :slight_smile:

I can’t reproduce it. When I close VCMI with X after map is loaded I don’t get any any errors. Do you get this error when you quit just after map is loaded or do you do something more?

Ok, i check and when i only load map and next close game i don’t get error. But if i do some more example: enter to castle or pick up wood (or something else) i get error when close game:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/8311/20080821011501qs7.jpg

Hi. New version looks nice (with upgrades & level ups) :slight_smile:

I’ve checked all bug situations reported by me for previous versions and everything is fine.

However I have two things to report (new, not in previous version):

1. Main Menu FUNCTIONALITY ISSUE: We cannot select the starting hero anymore.

2. Town Screen BUG:

Reproducible: Yes
Occurrence: Every time, but only for the starting hero (apparently), upon troop upgrade

Description: The Fort Noxis map starts with 2 towns, 2 heroes.

When Hero 1 (starting hero) upgrades a troop in town, in the moment we click on the “OK” button of the window with the price to pay for the upgrade, the hero is automatically garrisoned:

This does not happen with Hero 2. This one remains “at the gate” after troop upgrade.

The bug occurs on any other map, but I picked this one because I wanted to check if it affects the 2nd hero as well (and it doesn’t).

1. BUG related to the Log Window:

I hope I am not mistaken, but I remember in the previous version, when we were exiting the game, the Log Window was disappearing every time. Now it remains open almost every time. If I don’t close it and start the application again - after selecting the scenario - when I press BEGIN the whole system gets blocked. I can unblock it only by using Task Manager to terminate the client application:

I know I can avoid this by simply closing the Log window manually, but it would be better if this can be fixed.

These two bugs could be related to my #2 reported yesterday:

(both bugs are reproductable - always)

1. BUG (minor): When I load the map Good To Go (S-RoE), the hero is already garrisoned.

I loaded the map under H3C, and there the game starts with hero at town gate. Let me know if you cannot reproduce it, and I can upload the map.

1. **BUG **(MAJOR): If we recruit or upgrade troops when hero is garrisoned, we lose them when hero is moved at town gate (and of course, the do not “return” to the dwelling the were hired from). Screenshots are from Good To Go, but I checked in 3 different maps and the bug repeats there as well.

A. Hero in Garrison. Centaurs & Elves get upgraded and some troops are hired: Dragons, Unicorns and few more Centaurs & Elves:

B. Hero moved down from Garrison: all recruited creatures disappear, upgraded creatures lose their upgrade (hero has exactly same troops as before he was put in Garrison):

The bug does not manifest the other way around: what we hire/upgrade with hero at town gate, does not disappear when we move it in Garrison.

Many thanks for testing :slight_smile:
Zamolxis, I’ve fixed bugs 1 and 2. I’m also able to reproduce 4 and 5, so they’ll fixed soon as well.

However, I’m still unable to reproduce problems with closing VCMI. Since also Dikamilo has problems (crashes on closing) it’s probably something with my computer. I’ll try to make more testing on another machine, maybe I’ll be able to find the problem.

Anyway I’ll release a new dev version within a few days.
I hope we’ll officially release 0.62 by the end of the month.

Two (MAJOR) CRASH BUGS:

1. Game crashes whenever I try to pick up an artifact:

Here is the content of the error report:

The game does not “fully” crash after this error. If I click “Don’t Send” on the error window above (or even if I leave it there) I can still move the cursor in the game, set paths and scroll map. But once I try to move the hero or enter the town, my whole system freezes. Then I can only unfreeze it by terminating VCMI from the Task Manager. So far it’s reproductable in all 3-4 maps I tried so I guess it’s general.

1. The map “A Terrible Rumor” (S-SoD) always crashes at start:

For this one, after I close the VCMI_server.exe error window (“Don’t send”), I’m getting a Visual C++ Runtime Library error:

Let me know if it’s not reproductable on your side, and I will upload my map if necessary.

They both are reproducible. I’ll fix them tomorrow. Thanks :slight_smile:
Btw, you don’t have to paste content of windows Error Reports, they don’t have useful information for us. Steps to reproduce problem and console output are usually enough to localize it.

Yes. That one is indeed a bit strange. As it doesn’t occur all the time. Only in like 60-70% of the cases the console remains open, but I didn’t manage to associate it with one or another action in the game which might be the cause of it.

All I noticed so far is that if I exit directly from the Menu (Exit - Quit) the console always disappears, while if I ‘play’ with the garrison bug, the console always remains after that. But I’ve had a couple of cases when I just explored the map, and sometimes the console remained, sometimes not. I’ll try to keep an eye on it, and if I manage to link it to some other actions, I’ll let you know.

Good to know. Saves me some time, and you some webspace probably. :slight_smile:

[size=84]And now to also report sth:[/size]

1. FUNCTIONALITY ISSUE: Starting bonus does not work (anymore?)

IIRC in the previous version - aside from selecting the starting hero - also the starting bonus was functioning. At least I remember my starting hero having an artifact when I was selecting that bonus. Again - I’m not 100% it worked before (I could mix up with the last time I played H3C or WoG).

[size=75]PS: I’m gonna be off for 2 days, so if even if the new dev version is available soon, I won’t be around to do more testing before Monday.[/size]

New development version is ready. I hope that all problems reported here are solved. I’m not sure about closing problem - please check if it’s still present. There are also a few new features.

Changelog since previous dev version:

• fixed possible freeze when applying changes in gamestate
  • it’s impossible to enter to the not owned town
  • giving starting bonus
  • hero placed in the town starts as a visiting hero (not as a garrisoned)
  • if hero doesn’t have a spell book, he can buy one in a mage guild
  • improvements in closing
  • fixed crash on picking artifact
  • added event message when picking artifact
  • fixed problems with disappearing pikeman stacks
  • InfoWindow will be properly centered
  • hero portraits again visible in PreGame
  • fixed problems with handling Pandora’s Box
  • support for Campfires
  • support for Tree of Knowledge
  • minor improvements

Full changelog since 0.61 is in the package.

Have fun :slight_smile:
vcmi_061d.7z (1.37 MB)

• cursor not change when i try kill enemy

• when all enemy dead, battle not end

• game is slow in battle, in map work normaly

• when i kill game window, console stay running

• is bug with diablos, when i click to atack, normal he disapear and appear near atacked monster, in VCMI, animation of disapear run and diabos movie like normaly monster without animation and when he is near monster animation of appear/disapear run again and he atack (i can’t explain this better if you not undestand)

screens: 1. start position, 2. move, 3. finaly position

img37.picoodle.com/data/img37/3/8/26/f_20080826195m_350da14.jpg img33.picoodle.com/data/img33/3/8/26/f_20080826195m_a508590.jpg img32.picoodle.com/data/img32/3/8/26/f_20080826195m_668be04.jpg

• i cant atack enemy hero

• i cant go into neutral castles

• portals not work (i test this with skull)

• when i bought monster in this window with all monsters in castle, amount available monster is not refresh auto, just when i open this window again

• i can’t atack some monster in their first square but i can in second square (1 image show first square and 2, second square)

img27.picoodle.com/data/img27/3/8/26/f_20080826195m_4697244.jpg img27.picoodle.com/data/img27/3/8/26/f_20080826195m_0d2b43e.jpg

• i can go into (example: mine, castle or material…) when monster protect this place (stay near) - i thin his rage is to small

img27.picoodle.com/data/img27/3/8/26/f_20080826193m_23db2bf.jpg

i get 2 times this error (i picked materials and traveled map when i get this ), i think it’s random:

img27.picoodle.com/data/img27/3/8/26/t_20080826191m_8df6b40.jpg

another error (i get this when i change first hero (withoult move points) to second hero (actualy mark in screen)):

img37.picoodle.com/data/img37/3/8/26/t_20080826192m_dca4fe8.jpg

^^ sorry for this server, but imageshack crash actualy…

You can try photobucket.com.

@Tow: Thx for the new version.

Here are some FUNCTIONALITY ISSUES to start with:

Hero screen:
1 - Dismiss Hero acts without confo window
2 - Dismiss Hero works also when hero is in the castle (in the standard version it didn’t).
3 - The backpack scrollable arrows are available (yellow, clickable) even when backpack is empty. In standard game they are innitially locked (grayed out) and become available only when hero has more than 5 artefacts in backpack.
4 - The buttons «Set army formation to ‘Loose’» & «Set army formation to ‘Tight’» are enabled & clickable as expected, but the «Disable Tactics formation» button is missing the info text (and I guess the functionality will be way later implemented)
5 - Same goes for the «Split creatures» button next to them: no info text displayed

Adventure map:
6 - Can’t select (single click) and enter castle (double click) from the map
7 - (First) Hero does not get automatically selected after End Turn (ie. selection defaults on the town if last thing was building sth)
8 - Hero is not automatically selected when exiting town

Town screen:
9 - In Garrison or Hero army: units are not selected when we first click on them (only second time).

Console:
10 - Still does not always close when I exit the game, but now it doesn’t happen as often as before (only like 30% of the time).

As for BUGS, I found a few XL maps which crash at start:

1 - Back for Revenge
2 - Back for Revenge (Allies)
3 - Pandora’s Box
4 - Reclamation
5 - Thousand Islands (Allies)

All other H3C XL maps are loading fine. I’ll continue tomorrow to test the loading of maps of other sizes. If you cannot reproduce the above, let me know, and I’ll post screenshots with the console (& upload my files if necessary).

dikamilo, Zamolxis, many thanks for testing and feedback!
I’ll check all these problems soon. Now it’s late and I’ve managed to looked into the last one:

It’s because a bug in reading events with creature sets.
It should be easy to fix, maybe even tomorrow (actually today) I’ll release a fixed version.

I cannot reproduce this one. Does it occur always (in every town with every creature)?

I’m 99% sure that it always happens, though I’ll have to double check tonight when i get home. I didn’t have much time for testing yesterday - only checked if old bugs were fixed and ran into an XL map that crashed (which gave me the idea of checking them all). But while looking for the old bugs - in only a couple of maps - I noticed this issue. When I was in town screen, trying to move a stack from hero army to garrison or back, the first click did not select it.

I’m not sure now, but it’s possible it only happened after exiting Town Hall / Castle / dwelling screens. I’ll have to double check that tonight, and check it on different maps, with different alignments, etc.

These features are not implemented/finished yet. They’ll be added bit by bit with future versions.

Since I don’t know how to reproduce it, it’s hard to say anything specific. Well, maybe I’ll encounter this error soon…

Is it slower than in previous versions? Is this using all your CPU? What are parameters of your CPU? Battles are not very fast, but slowdowns shouldn’t be visible on most of the modern computers… anyway we’ll be making further optimizations there.

Will be fixed.

You don’t have to, I’ve managed to reproduce it. It occurs one time after upgrading stack or recruiting new creatures using the dwelling.

I’ve prepared new dev version that should load all maps without crashes.
Changelog since the last one:

• fixed crashbug on loading maps with events giving creatures
  • added confirmation window when hero is dismissed
  • finished mage guild screen
  • fixed some crashbugs with hero window on adventure interface
  • fixed giving wrong war machines on start
  • added blacksmith functionality

Issues #2 - #10 will be fixed later, hopefully before 0.62.
vcmi_061e.7z (1.37 MB)

I have Celeron D 2,4 GHZ, and in map i have 30 - 40 % and in battle 80 - 90 %, but i think is because SDL is not very porformace to draw a lot.

vcmi_061e.7z:

I get this error when load map (Cave of Gerfex v1.4 in screen)

img365.imageshack.us/img365/7388/20080827212419av4.th.jpg

Thanks for report. It’s a bug causing crashes when map contains a town placed out of the map boundaries.
New dev version should be available within a day or two.

Hi Tow,

Something came up yesterday so I didn’t manage to do any testing eventually.

So, to pick up from my last report:

**Reclamation **is still crashing, though interesting not always - only like 40% of the time. Pls see below the console msg:

I’ll go now as promissed through all H3C maps to see if any other has loading problems. :slight_smile: