VCMI Project - Heroes 3: WoG recreated
Forum of the project aiming to recreate best turn-based strategy ever!

Content creation - All additional towns to VCMI

zibi17k - 2013-04-22, 09:23
Post subject: All additional towns to VCMI
http://wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=Mod_list
Ivan - 2013-04-22, 11:46

Nice list. Perhaps we should consider moving it to wiki?
http://wiki.vcmi.eu/index...nes#For_players
Unlike forum posts wiki page can be edited by anyone who has forum account. Plus wiki syntax is more flexible than forum BBcode.
Quote:
(russian version 1.0 by HotA?)

Mod for VCMI was made by me & Warmonger but all content was taken from HotA.

One note on translation (and fonts) - by 0.93 there will be a better way to create translations for mods - current approach (copy mod and translate texts) already causing problems (like fonts conflicts).

Guest - 2013-04-22, 23:58

is it possible to make this one woking?
http://heroes3towns.com/?...&page=buildings

Warmonger - 2013-04-23, 06:28

Bastion depends on its authors, nothing else.
Guest - 2013-04-23, 23:34

What do you mean by that? Do they don't want to share graphics they've made? Or is it impossible to contact them? Or something else?
Ivan - 2013-04-24, 00:01

Town consist from much more than town screen - creatures, siege screen, puzzle map, heroes. As far as I know Bastion authors don't have all of these (or not satisfied with its quality). As result they don't want to release town (or its graphics) in unfinished state.

Apart from this some modders are waiting for such features like scripting or fully functional original game.
And don't forget that support for new towns was added several months ago - this quite short term in H3 modding.

Quote:
Perhaps we should consider moving it to wiki?

In continuation of this I've made template for mods description. Right now used only for mods that were already in the list here: http://wiki.vcmi.eu/index...nes#For_players
I'm going to add mods from this thread as well.

Macron1 - 2013-04-24, 00:44

Ivan wrote:
Town consist from much more than town screen - creatures, siege screen, puzzle map, heroes.

Siege can be used from one of standart sieges (of from towns with finished towns).
Creatures can be found in packs etc.
Heroes can be made from available portrat packs.
Puzzle is one of most miserable things. On difficult maps there is no time to search for Grail.
Standart puzzles are good enough.
Screen is the most difficult part.

For example, Bastion is easy to build, there are sufficient high quality screenshots to make all dwellings. Only question are units, but there many Egypt-like units.

But there many time for testing and polishing is needed.
Even if not polish graphics, there balancing is needed.
And there not much sence in building "release" of towns, since VCMI is not 1.0 version, and format of json's is changing often.
If town is released today, after 3-5 mouths it will need rewriting.

So now it's better to prepare graphics for dwellings and units and make test builds.

PS By the way, to speed up puzzle creating, i think, it can be made from quadrats. And for different fractions only picture is needed.

Ivan - 2013-04-24, 01:05

Not everyone shares you position on how new towns should be made.

I respect position of HotA and WoG 3.59 team here - release only when it is ready. And compared to time needed to properly develop city concept, model all creatures and town screen, think of hero and creature specials time needed to write (or update) json configuration is abysmal.

Anyway - we are not connected to Bastion or any other teams so you should ask them about release, not us. We only provide support for new content.

UPD: all mods from 1st post are now on wiki. Feel free to add some missing information or any new mods.

Macron1 - 2013-04-24, 01:31

Ivan wrote:
I respect position of HotA and WoG 3.59 team here - release only when it is ready. And compared to time needed to properly develop city concept, model all creatures and town screen, think of hero and creature specials time needed to write (or update) json configuration is abysmal.

I don't think they will release something for VCMI at all.
And i don't think WOG 3.59 team still exists at all.
So i think for VCMI is better not respect those, who didn't produce nothing yet, but to motivate creating amateur, not very good towns, but created by enthusiasts and for enthusiasts. It will be possible only when 1.0 is out and json format is frozen.

Ivan - 2013-04-24, 11:51

And what's the difference between big projects like HotA and amateurs? Creating even "not very good" graphics will take a while - I think porting one town to vcmi won't take much longer than several days and updating it to next version will take a hour at most.

Quote:
I don't think they will release something for VCMI at all.

Most likely you're right. But they have no objections against me using their content in vcmi either. And I think that if WOG team (it still exist. kind of) will release something their position won't be much different from HotA's.

Quote:
It will be possible only when 1.0 is out and json format is frozen.

1.0 certainly won't be out tomorrow. And I'm not sure if json format will be frozen even after 1.0. Certainly - it won't have as many changes as in 0.9x but it still will have some changes from time to time to support any new features we may want to add.

After all all changes are done for reason - to fix some bug or to add some new feature. Without these changes there won't be progress.

Valery19 - 2013-04-25, 18:21

Macron1 wrote:

So i think for VCMI is better not respect those, who didn't produce nothing yet, but to motivate creating amateur, not very good towns.

This is old as world issue. Quantity vs quality. Yet the history show that only quality is remembered, which means those who did short term projects "not so good" wasted entirely their time. Even if short time, ENTIRELY.

lonelywolf - 2013-04-26, 15:43

forge does not work.
Macron1 - 2013-04-27, 01:24

Valery19 wrote:
Macron1 wrote:

So i think for VCMI is better not respect those, who didn't produce nothing yet, but to motivate creating amateur, not very good towns.

This is old as world issue. Quantity vs quality. Yet the history show that only quality is remembered, which means those who did short term projects "not so good" wasted entirely their time. Even if short time, ENTIRELY.

Lol, those, who did nothing, wasted time.
Even if town will be played only by creator, it's much more productive, than several years buzz without result.
History don't remember workers or cooks, but it don't mean they wasted their time.

Macron1 - 2013-04-27, 01:26

lonelywolf wrote:
forge does not work.

There are lucky guys, on wich machines Forge is working.
Yet I can't make Forge run with other mods.

lonelywolf - 2013-04-30, 20:27
Post subject: works
it works when i remove all other mods.
zibi17k - 2013-05-08, 14:16

update forge
Warmonger - 2013-05-08, 19:06

Forge in hosted on external site and everybody can edit links on Wiki.
Liso1 - 2013-06-14, 13:43

guys, can someone upload Preserve Town and Grove Toen for VCMI 0.93 on another server as speedyshare?

for example here www.ulozto.net

thanks

Macron1 - 2013-11-04, 21:14

http://www.forum.acidcave...ID=1423&page=50

Forge 0.8 released. There are some major town screen reworks, 2 new levels (1st and 7th of creatures).
PS I don't like 7th level altrough. Forge is a techno town, and there is some mutant from biotechnology. It's more fit to some biohazard mutant faction or kreegan colony faction.

hippocamus - 2013-11-19, 09:01

All the links are dead.
Can anyone lay out relevant?

Warmonger - 2013-11-19, 09:12

This thread is probably obsolete since we have launcher and finished towns can be hosted on our server.
On the other hand, most of towns are constantly changing and it's hard to keep up to date.

Macron1 - 2013-12-07, 07:28

The first polish Abyss version is out!

You can find it here:
http://www.forum.acidcave...TID=2164&page=7

Version is in English completely.
The only trouble is that it's archive name and root directory has some polish symbol in it.
So it must be renamed to "Glebia" to avoid some bugs from it and to unzip it.

UPG Seems it's based on my Abyss version:-) So my work isn't wasted.
But a lot of heroes are added, adventure map dwellings from Axolotl and some big reworks.

Macron1 - 2013-12-07, 17:01

Christmas Town

http://www.forum.acidcave...TID=890&page=40

It's draft version, Pointer is asking for help. So if you want to play it, it will take some work: you must correct issues in buildings/structures.jsons, make icons for Hall, resemble DEF files of town with correct transparent color background...

PS
1) For townscreen to work, all Area/Border files in Data must be converted to 8-bit. Or else VCMI crashes when building is built.

Macron1 - 2013-12-24, 14:58

Great hero Silaneo converted Necro town from HMM2 (it's his second conversion after Abode town):
http://heroescommunity.co...78&pagenumber=5
Great work.

Cyrus Annihilator - 2014-01-16, 14:34

Could someone convert "Water Deep" town (by Axolotl) to VCMI?
Cyrus Annihilator - 2014-01-16, 14:39

Nevermind, I found the topic in AcidCave forum, there are people working on that. Sorry.
Pointer - 2014-03-12, 16:38

Hello! Here is the new version of Grove for VCMI 0.95 in English. Hero's "empty" specialities are corrected to another ones. Also the 8th level dwelling avatar in hall screen is corrected. Link edited!

http://www.speedyshare.com/W3gR6/grove.rar

Tooandorisu - 2014-12-16, 20:05

How many of these towns works in 0.97?
zibi17k - 2014-12-17, 00:17

http://wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=Mod_list
All mods to VCMI in current version

acidchalk - 2015-06-08, 02:42

https://www.dropbox.com/s.../abyss.rar?dl=0

Here is a link to a working abyss town for vcmi 0.98. I sat there and tried to convert it all over as best i could. There shouldn't be many errors as it seems to be working fine on my end.

Warmonger - 2015-06-08, 08:42

Thanks, it's my favourite town ;)

EDIT: Unfortunatelly it's still a mess like a year ago. Creatures AI values are out of place, also town doesn't seem to show in RMG now.

Tooandorisu - 2015-06-11, 18:29

Warmonger wrote:
Thanks, it's my favourite town ;)

EDIT: Unfortunatelly it's still a mess like a year ago. Creatures AI values are out of place, also town doesn't seem to show in RMG now.

I have no issues with this awesome town. Found it in RMG. However the AI is way out of place as you say. Other than that, it works very nicely

Warmonger - 2015-06-12, 10:57

Quote:
Found it in RMG

Oops, there is a bug on my side.

Quote:
However the AI is way out of place as you say

Heroes also have weirdest starting armies, including units that do not belong to town. Creature stats are completely imbalanced (I fixed that a long time ago, but it's another version).

People also worked on this town in Acid Cave, but project is abandoned :(

acidchalk - 2015-07-28, 10:48

Yeah theres still lots of stuff that needs doing, converting it all took me forever, especially the heroes. I haven't had the chance to go through it lately but for now i just wanted it loading up right hehe.
misiokles - 2015-11-18, 15:59

Why I have Murloc commander (yes, I play with WoG mod) when I buy Abbys hero, but when AI buys Abbys hero - has normal hyppocomander creature as intended?
Warmonger - 2015-11-18, 18:58

Abyss is not finished and you can assume nothing is as intended ;)
Troggly - 2015-11-29, 21:11

As in my thread on the subject, I have been working on fixing things regarding Abyss. I have seen some of the authors lurking around here, so I repeat myself; if the project is dead, I would gladly want to help polishing it and release the cleaner version. If not, I would like to help the team.

Both Grove and Preserve have their authors working on newer and more professional-looking versions of the factions. Looking forward to them!

Warmonger - 2015-11-29, 21:42

But there are really no authors of Abyss. People just pass unfinished mod around. Better know which version you're working on, This is mine updated 5 months ago:

https://www.dropbox.com/s...0Abyss.rar?dl=0

It involves units balance and abilities. Heroes were improved, but specialties are still a mess.

ALso, the mod needs writer to make coherent English names and descriptions.

Troggly - 2015-11-30, 18:25

So the people written in credits as designers are not the designers? That is a bit confusing. I presume those were the original authors and it has since drifted around between helpful hand to helpful hand.

Anyway, I have cleaned most descriptions, done some improvements on unit names and fixed some bugs on the most recent version. I have not really touched balance nor hero specialties as I am not great on balance. If it is okay to upload it, I will do so. Personally, I think my other thread should be the go-to if anyone is willing to help. Some might not like some name changes I did so I would like some feedback there.

Tooandorisu - 2015-12-03, 00:04

Troggly wrote:
So the people written in credits as designers are not the designers? That is a bit confusing.
Yeah. Like I'm just testing Abyss, and yet it says I'm author, something I'm not, since I don't know how to mod at all.
Witchking - 2015-12-09, 22:31

Forge 1.1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s...20Team.rar?dl=0

misiokles - 2016-09-20, 17:35

Maybe it's good times to revive this topic. Few years ago someone ripped all resources from chinese H3 clone. Resources are here: http://heroes3towns.com/00_resources.zip
Inside you can find all neceserally graphics for thinking of making new towns: sprites, sounds, building graphics, siege graphics, spells etc, etc. Based on these resources we have Another Rampart mod and New Terrains mod. Of course - game is newer than h3, style is more modern, resolution is diffirent, transparency added but maybe someone with graphics skill can downgrade these files and create 3 new towns: human, orcs, undead (and forest - town is done as another rampart mod).

Draeganfire - 2016-12-05, 18:58

I have a question. Is it possible to take some of the town modifications, like for example "Snow Castle" and actually make them as a completely separate town mod?

Along those lines I found this on HC community, and thought I'd pass it along for anyone not on that forum

http://www.mediafire.com/...e+Creatures.rar

Warmonger - 2016-12-05, 21:33

Draeganfire wrote:
I have a question. Is it possible to take some of the town modifications, like for example "Snow Castle" and actually make them as a completely separate town mod?

It is already done: http://wiki.vcmi.eu/index.php?title=Mod_list

Draeganfire - 2017-01-13, 06:09

I have been working on a new town I am calling Death Valley. I am basing it off of the work done on Silaneo's Necrotown efforts, and drawing on many resources already in existence. I also have found a program I like that is helping me with some of the townscreen work! The program is Paint.net, and is really handy for a novice like me!

From Here you should have access to the rest of the Gallery :-) Or just friend me on Facebook if you like, as we are all a happy community of VCMI fans!

Background for Death Valley

lonelywolf - 2017-01-13, 10:24

It says that your link is broken.
Draeganfire - 2017-01-13, 19:09
Post subject: Death Valley Pics.....hopefully *crosses fingers*
Woohoo!!! Thanks Misiokles!!!! Here for your viewing pleasure, pics from Death Valley

[/img]
Background

[img][/img]
Background with Village Hall

[img][/img]
Background + layer 2

[img][/img]
Background + layer 2 and 3

[img][/img]
Background + layer 2, 3, and 4

[img][/img]
Background + layer 2, 3, 4, and 5

Individual Buildings to come!!!!

Draeganfire - 2017-01-13, 20:03
Post subject: Death Valley Individual Buildings
Okay here are my Individual buildings as of this moment.....(lol...I am on a roll and changing my mind on occasion)

[img][/img]
Capital Progression

[img][/img]
Mage Guild Progression

[img][/img]
Blacksmith

[img][/img]
Merchant Wagon (Marketplace)

[img][/img]
Stage Coach (Tavern structure)

Level 3 Creature Dwelling + 2 Specials (Tentatively Ghosts / Poltergeists)

[img][/img]
Floating Fortress (Fort structure)

[img][/img]
Flying Citadel (Citadel structure)

[img][/img]
Castle in the Sky (Castle structure)

[img][/img]
Pyramid / Pyramids ( lvl 5 dwelling) (Tentatively mummies / Royal Mummies)

[img][/img]
Graveyard lvl 1 / lvl 2 (level 2 Dwelling) (Tentatively Vengeful Dead / Unforgiving Dead)

[img][/img]
Mansion / Haunted Mansion (lvl 4 dwelling) (tentatively banshees / Etherial Banshees)

[img][/img]
Ghost Moon ( Increases production of Mansion / Haunted Mansion)

[img] [/img] [img][/img]
Excavation / Excavation Upgrade (lvl 1 dwelling) (Tentatively Skeleton Hounds / Grave Beasts)

More to come as I get to them....... Hope this generates excitement, I going to need major assistance to put Death Valley into functional status!!!!

misiokles - 2017-01-16, 18:25

These are final version of buildings? Because mixed graphic styles (drawing vs high resolution textures) don't look good :(
Draeganfire - 2017-01-17, 22:56

No, only the result of about 24 hours of playing around online and with Paint.net.... definitely nothing set in stone at this early point.
Draeganfire - 2017-01-19, 00:57
Post subject: Death Valley 2.0
Okay, in keeping with my original thoughts to take bits of projects that were abandoned and bring good work to life, here is my second effort with Paint.net, based off the resources file misiokles directed us towards. I will post town-screens, and if anyone likes what they see I will post individual building pics later on a new topic thread.

[img][/img]
Background

[img][/img]
Layer 2

[img][/img]
Layer 3

[img][/img]
Layer 4

[img][/img]
Layer 5

[img][/img]
Layer 6

Mage Guild window

Warmonger - 2017-01-19, 07:53

^Now this one looks much better :)
val-gaav - 2017-01-19, 10:30

That's because this town is already done. It is one of the 4 town screens from webbrowser based heroes like game that was released years ago in china: http://www.hero66.com

The resources pak from that game has also units, and all the other files standalone game needs. All the graphics are of very high quality.

Too bad those assets are copyrighted and not released on some open license :(

Draeganfire - 2017-01-19, 17:11

I went with this townscreen based on an earlier post. As far as any copyrights go, I intend to do some research before locking myself into anything, but I believe it is fine for several reasons. 1. I intend to credit any work used from any source. 2. I am not in any way seeking monetary gain from this project, as copyright laws are aimed at ensuring artists receive both the credit due to them and any monetary compensations, I believe we are fine, after all HOMM 3 was also copyrighted, and I believe it could be argued the entirety of this project could then be argued as infringement. Though since no one is profiting from this expansion, I don't think there is anything to worry about.
misiokles - 2017-01-19, 17:28

val-gaav wrote:

The resources pak from that game has also units, and all the other files standalone game needs.

Almost all graphics. In townscreens the are only few upgraded buildings graphic, siege screen and external dwellings will be hard to convert.

Draeganfire - 2017-01-19, 21:59

Yeah I noticed that the dwellings in town seemed to be a one-shot deal...... I may add some fog or ghosts or some such to enhance that, haven't decided yet.
val-gaav - 2017-01-19, 23:43

Draeganfire wrote:
I believe we are fine, after all HOMM 3 was also copyrighted

As fine as WoG that used other copyrighted games arts or other mods that used Warcraft models (old groove town).

I would gladly use that high quality graphics for standalone open source game based on Vcmi. It is a pitty as those assets are really nice. Online game while still has a page seems more or less dead (last post or messages from 2014) . So yeah that is what I meant too bad those assets were not released on cc-by-sa , public domain etc.

Draeganfire - 2017-01-20, 00:01
Post subject: Individual Buildings
If anyone is interested in the individual buildings, I posted pics here

Heroes Community - Death Valley Thread

acidchalk - 2017-03-02, 03:09

If you're still working on this I can help with a lot of the animation parts. I got pretty good at getting the things to move right, I just need to scrape some of the rust off of my skills hehe.
Draeganfire - 2017-03-20, 16:21

I am definitely interested in any help I can get! Sent you a small email here on this site, and the Heroes Community page is here

HC Death Valley 2.0

Draeganfire - 2017-03-20, 20:29

Try this one.....you may need to open the folder and dig down a level, that happens on several town downloads so they don't work....

ie: Forge/Forge/Content (just copy content and content.json, move them up one folder and then delete Forge folder in middle)

Forge

acidchalk - 2017-03-22, 20:14

Hum.. i didn't get any emails, but i can help with a lot of the stuff. Making the borders and stuff for buildings is pretty easy for me with photoshop and if you send me the files i can churn them out for you.
hurrdurrmurrgur - 2017-03-25, 10:16

Does anyone know what's wrong with the sound from the leprechaun unit in the Glade faction? Dying and walking sounds are fine yet whenever it attacks, static belts out of my speakers. I checked the mod folder and the combat noises are fine and are included in the same location with the walking and death noises so it isn't the file itself that's the problem. I can only think that the script calling for the sound file is mistyped so it's calling nothing but static.
However I have no idea how unit scripting in VCMI works so I haven't the foggiest idea how to take a look for myself to verify this.

Macron1 - 2017-03-25, 10:19

hurrdurrmurrgur wrote:
Does anyone know what's wrong with the sound from the leprechaun unit in the Glade faction? Dying and walking sounds are fine yet whenever it attacks, static belts out of my speakers. I checked the mod folder and the combat noises are fine and are included in the same location with the walking and death noises so it isn't the file itself that's the problem. I can only think that the script calling for the sound file is mistyped so it's calling nothing but static.
However I have no idea how unit scripting in VCMI works so I haven't the foggiest idea how to take a look for myself to verify this.

Because by some unknown reasons shot sound is encoded in Audio: PCM 16000Hz stereo 512kbps [output], and normal sounds are encoded as Audio: IMA ADPCM 22050Hz mono 88kbps [output].
You must convert lepshot.wav to 22 kHz.
PS OGG and MP3 creature sounds are also producing static noise effect in game.

hurrdurrmurrgur - 2017-03-25, 11:24

Macron1 wrote:
hurrdurrmurrgur wrote:

Because by some unknown reasons shot sound is encoded in Audio: PCM 16000Hz stereo 512kbps [output], and normal sounds are encoded as Audio: IMA ADPCM 22050Hz mono 88kbps [output].
You must convert lepshot.wav to 22 kHz.
PS OGG and MP3 creature sounds are also producing static noise effect in game.

Thanks I converted the file and now it plays. I've uploaded it in Dropbox if anyone wants to download it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s...epshot.wav?dl=0
For anyone who doesn't know where to put the file:
The directory is My Documents\My Games\vcmi\Mods\glade\Content\sounds\glade
Unfortunately that pop at the start of the sound was in the original file so there's nothing I can do about that.

acidchalk - 2017-03-25, 16:32

oh wow i didn't notice that, i'll update the download link